BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    Fly Lord

Default BEST 40K PRODUCT-2009 Readers Choice Awards Submissions

You guys read it correctly!

This thread is for submissions for the BoLS 2009 Readers Choice Awards for the BEST WARHAMMER 40K PRODUCT of 2009. Entries can be any miniature, plastic kit, codex, or other Games Work/Forgeworld item that was released in 2009.

We will tally these up in one week, and open up the finalists for a reader's choice poll to determine the winner.

Have at it! (there is a matching Fantasy Post in the Fantasy-General forum)
    Got some Juicy News? Email BoLS

I'm gonna dive in head first and say that it's Codex Imperial Guard.

Why?

You can have all your fancy models - and there are plenty of em this year as ever which are really nice andthats before you even get to Forgeworld's offerings, but as a Codex it's a corner stone of the game, first you need the core rules, then the codex, then the models which dare I say it are the least important part given you can always use those of another origin.

As a codex it's pretty much a perfect example of the current generation IMHO, it's well written rules wise, concise, with relatively few problems compaired to many other codex release. You have an amount of background and description material which has'nt been greater since the old 2nd Edition books, when it comes to the units though you have a well balanced core (take for example the humble Infantry Squad or a Leman Russ), some nasty combinations suited to tourny play but which at the same time are suitably priced (Pysker Battle Squads, Vendetta's) and some fun stuff which is'nt really something you'd see in a competative game, but which are excellent additions to an army built just because of background, model, or rule of cool (Death Strikes, Penal Legion). It is pretty much an ideal combination IMHO.
    Last edited by Col.Gravis; 12-09-2009 at 09:48 AM.
    Curious Constructs - http://www.curiousconstructs.co.uk
    Kirton Games - http://www.kirtongames.com

I liked the Mines, Bombs and Bobby Traps set. Its a shame it was a Ltd. release as its really very useful. Ive used most of the parts for basing large models and it compliments the 40k basing set beautifully.
    To a New Yorker like you a hero is some kinda weird sandwich, not some nut who takes on three Tigers!

Codex: Space Wolves. It's big and fluffy and epic, just like the guys it describes.

Occuli Imperator

So I am going to be pretty general.

My vote is for terrain.

I was talking with a friend a few days ago and we were talking about how back in the day we had to spraypaint toilet paper rolls for smoke stacks and dig through our brothers birthday presents for styrofoam. We used to dream about having fortresses, bastions, craters, entire cities, hills and forests with wrecked Rhinos in them. For Lords sake our hills were just a pile of books covered by felt (Or blankets). I have been really happy with my 40k terrain and GW keeps realeaseing more and more. Codexes are great, and so are models, but what makes a game really pop is awesome terrain.

Duke

P.S. - I hope I wasn't too general
    Red text= mod voice
    Black text= regular voice

Follow my blog! Www.dukesinferno.blogspot.com

Fly Lord

So pick your favorite 40k terrain piece of the year Duke.
    Got some Juicy News? Email BoLS

While I definitely support the nomination for Imperial Guard codex (way better written than the Space Wolves codex, whose most epic property is its propensity for errors) I would have to nominate the Valkyrie kit. It is truly an awesome model and a great kit.

Occuli Imperator

Quote Originally Posted by Bigred View Post
    So pick your favorite 40k terrain piece of the year Duke.
    Hmmm, so many good choices. Im going to have to go with the Fortress of Redemption. It is a great example of not only how far GW has come with terrain support, but also Model size.

But ask me in a few months and Im going to answer the BA codex (Even if it stinks, lol)

Duke
    Red text= mod voice
    Black text= regular voice

Follow my blog! Www.dukesinferno.blogspot.com

Veteran-Sergeant

May I put forward Space Wolves Pack kit?

Its very versatile, a great plastic kit and good for converting.

Also, its awesome.

Abbess Sanctorum

I third Codex: Imperial Guard. It has made all the IG players locally rather happy, and the only people that really grumble are those that played drop troops.
    The mouth of the Emperor shall meditate wisdom; from His tongue shall speak judgment

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast