BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Necrons Represent?

Hey all -

I'm a newbie 40k player, got into it over the summer with the Black Reach Space Marines, and while I enjoy my small army, I really enjoy the idea behind starting a Necron army. I know they haven't had a new codex in ages, but I was wondering if anyone out there is still playing/enjoying Necrons?

I had heard from a couple people that now's not the best time to start playing Necrons, but I can't get over how awesome they seem. So, whaddya think? Are they fun or are they simply too old to be competitive without a new codex drop?

If you really like them, go with them. Of course it'll be rough and hard, painting same miniatures will be boring as hell....
    but the feeling when you look at your lovely tiny soldiers and they are starting to look like an army - priceless.
    It won't be easy, but when new Codex: Necrons will show on shop shelves, you will already have an army ready to play and you will knew that all this time, all this pain, it was not in vain.

Brother-Captain

Necrons are just terribad currently, they have an old codex and 5th edition has done them no favors. If you really want to get into it, go nuts, but remember that you're up for a very steep learning curve and pretty much a handicap in every game.

Necrons can work, but it's really specific as to what's good and what's not.

Read [url=http://bnhblog.blogspot.com/search?q=necrons]this[/url], hope it helps.

Also, can you define "competitive?" If you mean, "Are they still powerful enough that they can win games with nothing more than a skilled player?" then the answer is yes.

Chaplain

I love my Necrons. LOVE my Necrons. I have tried Daemons, Chaos Marines, Eldar, and I still play with my 'Crons the most. We have awesome fluff, great models, and lots of very solid stratagems. Necron lists are very simple to make, so there is less emphases on equipping your squads, forcing you into developing your battlefield strategy more than anything else. They are also very forgiving for new players. They help me A LOT with playing my other armies. They are also badasses. Metal badasses.
    It's true that we're hurting in 5th Ed. But most armies in 40k are updated in order of their popularity. More Necron players mean more updates. Also, the only models that are likely to be replaced in the update are Immortals, Pariahs, and Flayed Ones, which are all the units you should avoid taking (with the possible exception of Immortals). There's no WAY they will replace the Warriors, Lord, Monolith, Destroyers, Scarabs, etc. They're just too pretty. I'm a bit too enthused about this.
    In short, any time is the right time for the Destroyers of Hope.

And they're extremely fun to paint with a bit of creativity. None of that "everything boltgun metal" crap.
    Last edited by Subject Keyword; 12-14-2009 at 06:47 PM.

Chapter-Master

There are rumors of a new Necron codex around the end of 2010, though it's to far out to know anything for sure. So if you do choose to start them, you won't have to wait forever to get a new codex. Probably. No promises.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Chapter-Master

If you like the models and like the fluff go for it. If you want to hear that with average dice and opposition as experienced and skilful as you, but using a 5th Ed codex, that you’ll win all the time, don’t hold your breath.

Personally I'd give them a whirl when they get an update (if I finish all those other armies...)
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Quote Originally Posted by Nabterayl View Post
    Also, can you define "competitive?" If you mean, "Are they still powerful enough that they can win games with nothing more than a skilled player?" then the answer is yes.
    First off, thanks for everyone's responses so far! I really appreciate it.

Competitive to me really just means, "Do I stand half a chance at beating my friends?". I really only play against a small group of guys, and part of the appeal of the Necrons is a fun, different army to play against. I play against two Ork players, three Space Marine players (four, if you count Space Wolves), and an IG player. I don't really win all that much to begin with (working on that part), but I'm in it to enjoy the game, and hopefully off a few greenskins while I'm doing it. I was just worried they would walk all over me, more than they already do.

Librarian

If you like them; like the look, like the fluff, like the "feel" then you should definitely go for it. They have some very awesome looking models (though most of the coolest ones fall in the less useful tier, yeah Wraiths...). In my opinion (as someone who rarely gets to play) the hobby side is more important to overall enjoyment. Just looking at it in terms of numbers, for the all important first few years of your army most of the time you spend with them will be collecting and painting, NOT playing; it takes a little over a day to do a squad, from spruce to final brushstroke, while an average sized game should only take an hour or two. In addition, if you get really frustrated with their outdatedness, you seem to have the advantage of a small gaming group, in which case you can play themed games and or talk to them about house rules to bring your army into line with the current addition while you wait for a new 'dex.

A word to the wise, the whispers seem to suggest that the C'tan will be moving into Apocalypse territory with the next codex (nothing firm, but all signs seem to indicate this), so you might want to avoid investing in one of those bad-boys right off the bat (unless you just like the really cool models, in which case more power to you).
    Cry woe, destruction, ruin, and decay:
    The worst is death, and death will have his day.

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Brosef Stalin View Post
    I was just worried they would walk all over me, more than they already do.
    Yeah, they might walk on you, but then you'll just GET BACK UP!

(Sorry. I couldn't resist.)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast