BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default Deathwing question

Ive got two army lists, one has 2 quads of 5 man termies and a 5 man squad of deathwing knights
    the other has two 10 man squads of terminators. Which is more effective?

I would generally prefer 20 scoring terminators with 8 ML shots over 10 scoring termies with 4 ML shots and 5 non-scoring, but there are going to be 200 or so points, so the question is whether the extra 5 scoring termies are better than what you'd bring with the 200+ points otherwise.

It really depends on how you plan on using them. Are you using them as troops or elites? The two 20 man sound better but can cover less ground, but this is made up for with split fire. Knights are nice to hunt characters and other high value targets. What else do you have in the list?

I am facing a trash talking punk who says he will crush me with his logan wing, so I've got plenty of plasma cannon(usually I take more cyclones), but to answer your question:

also, the tome of vethric is there in case I play someone else with xenos forces

Total Roster Cost: 1999

HQ: Belial (1#, 190 pts)
    1 Belial, 190 pts

HQ: Ordo Malleus Inquisitor in Terminator Armour (1#, 139 pts)
    1 Ordo Malleus Inquisitor in Terminator Armour (HQ) [Inq], 119 pts = (base cost 65 + Empyrean Brain Mines 10 + Psybolt Ammunition 5 + Servo-skulls x3 9 + Upgrade to Psyker 30)
    1 Tome of Vethric [Inq], 20 pts

Troops: Deathwing Terminator Squad (10#, 500 pts)
    9 Deathwing Terminator Squad, 500 pts = 9 * 44 (base cost 44) + Chainfist x4 20 + Plasma Cannon x1 15 + Cyclone Missile Launcher x1 25 + Deathwing Terminator Sergeant 44

Troops: Deathwing Terminator Squad (10#, 500 pts)
    9 Deathwing Terminator Squad, 500 pts = 9 * 44 (base cost 44) + Chainfist x4 20 + Plasma Cannon x1 15 + Cyclone Missile Launcher x1 25 + Deathwing Terminator Sergeant 44

Heavy Support: Land Raider Helios (IA) (1#, 280 pts)
    1 Land Raider Helios (IA), 280 pts = (base cost 260) + Hyperios Missile Launcher 20

Elite: Dreadnought (1#, 155 pts)
    1 Dreadnought, 155 pts = (base cost 100 + Extra Armour 10 + Plasma Cannon 10 + Heavy Flamer 10) + Upgrade to Venerable Dreadnought 25

Elite: Dreadnought (1#, 155 pts)
    1 Dreadnought, 155 pts = (base cost 100 + Extra Armour 10 + Plasma Cannon 10 + Heavy Flamer 10) + Upgrade to Venerable Dreadnought 25

: Techmarine (1#, 80 pts)
    1 Techmarine, 80 pts = (base cost 50) + Power Field Generator 30

You might want to switch your inquisitor to a ordo xenos, makes fluff sense with the tome. You can only take power armor but put him in the squad in the LR and give him psychotrope and rad grenades, it will make your assaults amazing (and hilarious) and a plasma syphon to help with a lot of ap2 coming your way, you can still make him a psyker as well.

there is no squad in the helios, it only has a capacity of 6

Quote Originally Posted by iamian View Post
    there is no squad in the helios, it only has a capacity of 6
    Ah, I'm not familiar with it, then I suppose it would work best in your strongest squad.

2 TL Lascannon
    Whirlwind launcher (Or in this case a Hyperion Launcher for anti-air)
    and a capacity of 6.