BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Brother-Sergeant

Default What Brought You Back?

After recently watching the piece that the BBC did about the 40k hobby in 2012 , during which the gentleman being interviewd tells the tale of how many people who take up the hobby during their younger years proceed to back out during the teenage years at a risk of not appearing cool, only to then rediscover their hobbying passion again in their adult years.

It got me wondering just what is it about 40k that we just can't escape, if this is is you and you've recently re-discovered you're 40k passion, or passion for any hobby just what is it that got you hooked once more? Whats different or improved with the hobby that wasnt arou d before?

Occuli Imperator

I used to play a lot of 2nd edition, 3rd came round and the new rules were a little clunky and I didn't play, this coincided when I moved away from home and didn't really find another gaming group. I moved back to the area I grew up and was chatting with mates and it came up that I used to play and so did they and it turned out that all of the group used to play and so we got back into it that way. Reminising in the pub. Though sometimes the "If I" conversation wears a little thin, especially with one player, the intermiable conversation of what the outcome would have been "If I" had done X instead of Y, took unit A instead of B, had better rolls etc...
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Chapter-Master

I cam back after college because of my friend Derek, who I played with in middle and high school. He got leukemia-lymphoma, and passed away. He left my friend Triumphus and I a bunch of Orks and it rekindled my interest in the hobby. He would absolutely love the direction the hobby has taken with huge titans and fortifications and allies. He was the ultimate hobbyist. He had created an Ork village with a fortress that used his asthma puffer machine to make smoke for a smokestack. It was awesome.

Anyways... I got back into the hobby when he rekindled it for me in the most unfortunate ways.
    I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. --Voltaire

I got out of 40k entirely due to one prick at my FLGS, who did things like jump into a match between me and another player who was playing Tau, and insist that because the Tau player forgot to do something on his turn, my entire turn (currently in Assault) was invalid. I stayed out for about 7 years, entirely due to lack of any space to store the models and related materials, then got back in because a friend of mine wanted to show me this "cool new wargame" he had discovered. I went "oh, hey, 40k! I love that game, let me go dig out my old stuff" and I've been stuck in ever since. I think I scared my friend off of it though, which is too bad.
    Thank you for voxing the Church of Khorne, would you like to donate a skull to the Skull Throne today?

Chapter-Master

I've never been out of it, I've just had periods of time where I had no friends to play it with.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Chapter-Master

My story is kind of weird. I almost got into 40k back in 1997 (I would have played either Ulthwé Eldar or Space Wolvs, by the way), but decided not to because of my crazy mother (she would have gone through my room and thrown out anything sci-fi or fantasyish - depressing when it's books, infuriating if it's $200 worth of models) and general poverty (said crazy mother kept me pretty poor). It was a sad choice, but probably the right one.

My interest was rekindled in 2011, because I suddenly realized that as an adult I had complete control over my money. I've been making up for lost time ever since.
    ElectricPaladin Paints: http://tiny-plastic-dead.tumblr.com/
    ElectricPaladin Writes: burningzeppelinexperience.blogspot.com

Fly Lord

I've been in it since Rogue Trader.

I was briefly out during late 2nd, early 3rd, then was back in with a passion since. All I remember was coming back after about 2 years and seeing the horrid "Orky Eldar Phantom" from EPIC and thinking the company had gone off the rails. Luckily that was an outlier.

My Eldar are the only RT army that still get any tabletime, but I have plenty of newer ones. I just can't quite bring myself to field my 2nd edition Tyranid army with the Screamer Killers, and those horrid adams-appled Warriors...
    Got some Juicy News? Email BoLS

Dropped in and out of the hobby as time and money flowed, sometimes WHFB sometimes 40K... unless things like Space Crusade count.

It comes back to the main story, it's a good one.

A big marine... named Camouflage... an ambush came down on me and... Oh, into the hobby... sorry, man... flashbacks...

I played Rogue Trader with a mate, but got out of it due to moving away to for further education. I still played lots of roleplaying games and other wargames, but no 40k.

Eventually I just uped and decided to get some stuff and start playing again. I found a local club and bought a few sets of Battle for Maccragg. I was not a big fan of 5th Edition Rules but persevered because I enjoyed the converting and painting.

It seemed that the writers of 6th Edition listened to everything that I disliked about 5th Ed and doubled up on it for 6th. I'm back out of 40k now. I've been clean for around 12 months.

Wooooo oooooh ooooooh Camouflage... he really was an awfully big marine...
    Last edited by euansmith; 11-04-2013 at 11:43 AM.

Got out after 3rd, when girls and booze was more important, 10 years later, realised girls weren't as much fun as painting little men. But really, went into a GW to look at new models, saw people I knew, the staff were really nice in my local shop, so I was hooked in

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast