BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default Question regarding Legion of the Damned

I tried searching the threads but could not find the answer, so I am going to put this in a new post. Can a unit of Deep Striking (because they have to) Legion of the Damned models assault on the turn that they arrive? Reference both Deep Striking (BRB p.36) and Slow and Purposeful (BRB p.42). Both rules seem to contradict each other and I could really use a clear definition.

Darkstar70

No, you can't ever Deep Strike then assault.
    Social Justice Warlord Titan

Agreed. Extra analysis follows:

Slow and Purposeful says:

They are also allowed to charge in the same turn they fire Heavy, Ordnance, Rapid Fire or Salvo weapons.

There's two ways to read this. One is, "They are allowed to charge no matter what, as long as they fired a Heavy, Ordnance, Rapid Fire, or Salvo weapon." The second is, "They ignore the restrictions on charging after firing Heavy, Ordnance, Rapid Fire, or Salvo weapons." Here's my explanation of why the second is the correct reading.

Those are both equally valid readings, from a grammatical standpoint. The problem with the first reading is that it leads to the surprising conclusion that a Slow and Purposeful model has fewer restrictions on charging if it fired certain weapons than if it didn't. On this reading, a Slow and Purposeful model can charge after Deep Striking, but only if it fires a Heavy, Ordnance, Rapid Fire, or Salvo weapon - if it fires an Assault weapon, a Pistol weapon, or doesn't fire at all, it can't charge after Deep Striking.

I think most people would agree that, if another equally grammatically valid reading is available (and it is), we should disfavor a reading that leads to such a counter-intuitive conclusion, especially when the second reading doesn't have any such counter-intuitive implications.

not EVER there a ork storm boy bloke that lets you deep strike then assault but it can damage your boyz

Brother-Captain

Agree as above.
    You need some kind of special rule which explicitly states you may assault from a deepstrike.
    Wolfman of the Horsepack of Derailment
    The artist formerly known as "WTF you can't say that!"

Yep, I'd agree with the consensus.

Slow and Purposeful gives specific instances when you can charge where most units couldn't. Deep Striking is not one of those, so the two don't combine in that way.

Good question though!
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

This seems to be what my gaming group is leaning towards as well. Thanks for the input.

Darkstar70

Quote Originally Posted by Nabterayl View Post
    Agreed. Extra analysis follows:

Slow and Purposeful says:

They are also allowed to charge in the same turn they fire Heavy, Ordnance, Rapid Fire or Salvo weapons.

There's two ways to read this. One is, "They are allowed to charge no matter what, as long as they fired a Heavy, Ordnance, Rapid Fire, or Salvo weapon." The second is, "They ignore the restrictions on charging after firing Heavy, Ordnance, Rapid Fire, or Salvo weapons." Here's my explanation of why the second is the correct reading.

Those are both equally valid readings, from a grammatical standpoint. The problem with the first reading is that it leads to the surprising conclusion that a Slow and Purposeful model has fewer restrictions on charging if it fired certain weapons than if it didn't. On this reading, a Slow and Purposeful model can charge after Deep Striking, but only if it fires a Heavy, Ordnance, Rapid Fire, or Salvo weapon - if it fires an Assault weapon, a Pistol weapon, or doesn't fire at all, it can't charge after Deep Striking.

I think most people would agree that, if another equally grammatically valid reading is available (and it is), we should disfavor a reading that leads to such a counter-intuitive conclusion, especially when the second reading doesn't have any such counter-intuitive implications.
    This.

I'm pretty sure this is also the argument against the silly idea of grav weapons ignoring cover, but only when firing at vehicles.

Though there is one important principle that I think people forget when reading the rules: GW doesn't write its rules with special easter eggs for those that are paying extra-special close attention.