BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Default 6th Ed Space Marines Discussion

So, the Codex hit. I downloaded it last night, and I had a less sleepy look through this morning. What do people think?

So far, my opinion is that it's broadly done what needed to be done to Space Marines, which was a pretty good book still, but showing its age. I'm most impressed with the massive point reductions on things which needed them - from my own army's perspective, a level two terminator Librarian I used with a combi-plasma has gone from a beastly 185 points to a much more reasonable 125. Likewise, the Venerable Dreadnought has had a 40 point reduction. Vanguard Veterans are cheaper basic, but tend to pay more for their weapons. Devastator squads benefit greatly from the reduction in cost of Lascannons, but will pay out the nose if you want Flakk missiles, as is standard.

Grav weapons look seriously good, and they add a very useful tool to the Space Marine armoury. They're very short-ranged, though.

I think the Warlord Traits are fine. None of them are spectacular, but most of them are probably useful here and there.

It's a beautiful book. I love what they've done with the background. By dividing the background among the First Founding chapters and their successors, it comes across as a much more balanced book than previously, which is a good thing. Ultramarines and Guilliman are still the Imperium-saving heroes they were; you're not having it shoved down your throat in a slightly artificial way anymore. Worth noting that a few of the previously contentious background sentences received subtle tweaks here and there, as well.

Anyway, friends! Over to you!
    Social Justice Warlord Titan

I purchased the enhanced ebook version to test the army builder thing but cannot find it in the codex. Am I being stupid?

So far I'm liking what I see. Big, but subtle changes if that makes sense.

Point costs are running about the same as the previous codex for me in most places. Cost went down on the bodies, but the toys all increased in price with a couple of exceptions.

Chapter tactics and the ability to ally them in differently really gives a dynamic that impresses me. The combinations are limitless really and they are all in 1 book!

Grav weapons look like a good answer to multiple issues I was encountering in the previous codex (Serpent Spam, certain MC's etc..). Efficiency will still have to be determined on the table however, since they are shorter range AND quite expensive (Centurions anyone ).

Thunderfire cannons getting Barrage is certainly welcome in my lists and will be fun to use.

Overall I'm happy. I just need to see how it actually does on the table before really forming a solid opinion. But it's certainly promising.

Battle-Brother

Quote Originally Posted by musical-fool View Post
    I purchased the enhanced ebook version to test the army builder thing but cannot find it in the codex. Am I being stupid?
    There some technical troubles with apples end of iBooks - check out the link to GW digitals FB page for details - they hope to have an update available I the next week that contains the army builder but pushed the codex out temporarily without it rather than delay the digital release completely until apples all sorted :

Here's the link for the FB page, it's the second post down - posted yesterday ahead of the release.

[url]https://www.facebook.com/GamesWorkshopDigitalEditions[/url]

First-Captain

Hmmm. Might face new marines tonight. I figure grav weapons may be a problem, so I have a few questions.

What units can take a grav weapon?
    What is the range?
    Can they hurt models with no save?
    Most important question can any grav bearers can deep strike, not worried too much on outflanking?

My riptides are not really worried since they can rain in death 72" away. I figure I can blast the hell out of the grav usesers at range.

Thinking about it the weapons range can be an issue since riptides and wraithknights can fire out of range. Due to wounding on saves it may not work on a lot of daemons. Only unit I am worried about so far is my Bloodthirster who would be flying anyway.

I can see 3 armies daemons, eldar, and tau, csm, dark eldar, and nids will really focus the grav units.hmm anyarmy with good armour models will fear that weapon system which turns the new guys into fire mqgnnts.

Quote Originally Posted by musical-fool View Post
    I am having the same problem. Anyone know about this?

Battle-Brother

Quote Originally Posted by solthas View Post
    I am having the same problem. Anyone know about this?
    Apparently technical difficulties on apples side - they explain it in a FB post on the GW digital page, check out yesterday's post, second down the page at this time. They expect to be able to post an update win the week including it.

[url]https://www.facebook.com/GamesWorkshopDigitalEditions[/url]

It's been delayed apparently, due to an issue with iBooks.
    Social Justice Warlord Titan

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by chicop76 View Post
    Hmmm. Might face new marines tonight. I figure grav weapons may be a problem, so I have a few questions.

What units can take a grav weapon?
    What is the range?
    Can they hurt models with no save?
    Most important question can any grav bearers can deep strike, not worried too much on outflanking?

My riptides are not really worried since they can rain in death 72" away. I figure I can blast the hell out of the grav usesers at range.

Thinking about it the weapons range can be an issue since riptides and wraithknights can fire out of range. Due to wounding on saves it may not work on a lot of daemons. Only unit I am worried about so far is my Bloodthirster who would be flying anyway.

I can see 3 armies daemons, eldar, and tau, csm, dark eldar, and nids will really focus the grav units.hmm anyarmy with good armour models will fear that weapon system which turns the new guys into fire mqgnnts.
    Any unit that can take special weapons can take grav weapons, i.e. anyone that can take plasma guns or meltaguns. That means Bikers can take them as well. Grav pistols and combi-grav weapons can be taken by any character, but the grav cannons are limited to Devastator Centurions.
    Pistol - 12"
    Gun - 18" (salvo so 9" on the move)
    Cannon - 24"

Yes they can, the to wound roll is to a minimum of 6+.

Anyone that can take special weapons can also probably take a Drop Pod. Devastator Centurions can't though.
    Check out my blog!
    http://imperatorguides.blogspot.com.au/

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'nSmurfs View Post
    It's been delayed apparently, due to an issue with iBooks.
    Ok will probably be updated as issues are resolved

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast