BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Librarian

Considering how expensive most, but not all of the CSM codex is, they are supposed to be an elite close assault force that may not have the heavy weapons to win a shoot em fight, but they are supposed to be able to get into combat fast and hit hard. They also traditionally are suppose to have the ability to drop pod troops in, and the lousy, expensive and unarmed Dreadclaw do not count because of the silly rules FW have given it.

They need a transport flier like SMs get, a decent drop pod, some outflanking or pesky annoying infiltrating troops that do not cost a planets annual budget in points value to add to the army. They also need a better Anti-flier option similar to a hydra AA gun, but maybe daemon possessed and it can spit out daemonic lightning arcs in the sky, or something like that to make it chaos-y.

Some of the units we have now are a waste of space - Mutilators, and to a lesser degree Possessed. They are assault troops with no ranged weapons, so were are my frag grenades? I know, Mutilators with Dirge Casters inbuilt into their Armour, that would be good but over powered, so just give them the frag grenades.

The current 6th edition Meta is mainly built around massed infantry, lots of fire power, decent high strength, low AP weapons, some of which are blast/ordnance, weapons that ignore cover, or equipment can remove your cover save bonus, and lots of fast scoring and denial units to distract, and snipe at the enemy, and lastly fliers and anti-flier Skyfire/intercept units. Vehicles are in decline, but not out all together, as fast tanks, cheap transports that you can get loads of, and a few exceptions like the fast walker - Mauler fiend have proven they can outlast the declining vehicle trend.

Horde Armies are popular, but easily able to be countered - IG artillery, lots of Tau, Eldar and IG massed shooting, of which we can expect C: SM to add cheap tactical squads to the list to provide even better wall of lead to take the hordes down.

Monstrous creatures were pretty good in the early part of 6th ed 40K, but with so many poisoned weapons. and the now rumoured graviton gun coming out, their high toughness (6 or up to 8) is virtually voided, especially if they have decent armour values. FNP helps to ease this, but just hope the weapons are not also instant death.

Each Codex needs to be a master of one tactic possibly a few, and lesser master of all the other tactics. For C: CSM, Assault fast movement, Sorcerers/psykers and fliers should be their thing, with hordes, massed heavy weapons units and artillery being their not so good thing, (but they still have it).

Where a race/codex does not get psykers, they should have a inbuilt ability/upgrade or unit that helps the army to resist psychic attacks. If a race/codex gets psykers, but can not get psychic hoods, etc, they should be able to get equipment to allow re-rolls of their failed psychic tests. Chaos Sorcerers and Daemon Princes can get Spell familiars. Eldar get their Ghost Helms. SO everything seems OK in that regard. There are some races that have missed out in psychic defenses however - Yes Tau, and I do not even use that army.

As to Orks and what Cactus was talking about. What if they made it so any Ork units with a model within 12" of a Ork Psyker (as they have a useless set of powers, and therefore suck at their job) get a 6+ invul save. It would mitigate many of the AP 5 bolter fore that thrown at them. Especially now that many armies are getting weapons and equipment to ignore their cover? It would make Ork armies a bit more durable, and give the Green tide a huge boost.

I know many might disagree with me, but it will bring balance back to the game.
    Last edited by Daemonette666; 08-18-2013 at 12:26 AM.
    The world is Chaotic, so why not join the party. Slaanesh welcomes you with open arms. Certa Cito

Quote Originally Posted by Ravingbantha View Post
    I wish my eldar could get out of their tanks a little faster. It would aslo be nice if they had the same webway options their Dark and Corsair brethern have.
    Random thought and no rulebook to check (on holidays) - could you ally with dark eldar and then turn one put your banshees in a raider?

Quote Originally Posted by Phototoxin View Post
    Random thought and no rulebook to check (on holidays) - could you ally with dark eldar and then turn one put your banshees in a raider?
    Can't use an ally's transports.

While just saying "gimme an assault transport" is a kind of a quick inelegant fix to the problem of having fragile assault units, I do think a Falcon with an assault ramp would've stood out more against the Wave Serpent and Fire Prism.

Quote Originally Posted by Katharon View Post
    ...*pulls out bolt pistol and aims with a quivering hand*

"QUICK! SOMEONE GET THE COPS! I'VE FOUND MATT WARD WEARING THE SKIN OF ANOTHER!"

Nah, but in all seriousness, the GK don't need any of these kinds of buffs. They're already really awesome. People just need to stop using the same old lists from 5th edition and learn to be more varied in competing with the new armies coming out in 6th. Also, if they ever gave the Dreadknight a stormshield option - I'd expend all my savings to buy a ticket, fly to Manchester, find Matt Ward or whoever put in the edit, and punch them in the face, then walk away.
    Shoot me all you want, but as a result, please give me solutions that walk hand in hand with the fluff. So please comment atleast the following.

Wargear: Every GK is psyker and is equipped with psycho reactive wargear
    Melee skills: Best of the best, average Grey Knight easily on par with the best of the Space Marines.
    Shooty stuff: Something other than just plain 24" psycannon spam. Its not fun to play, nor it is fun to play against.

Also comment on the Stormshield on DreadKnight: Its absurd that a unit that is supposed to go against huge terrifying monsters, that hit faster and harder than a blast from a battletank wouldn't have anything but its own (lesser) speed to counter that. And its a knight, every knight should have the option to hold a shield

Also, i ain't using "any old lists". Granted i dont use anything inquisition / henchmen related stuff, nor do i use allies. GK are GK, not Silver Knights leading mortal ragtag groups.

EDIT: Oh, and i am not trying to 'gain an edge', far from it.. I play for fun, and bolstered by the new rulebooks guidance for storytelling, I always try to find a suitable story, and backround for the battle and forces in it.

My goal with the original hopes were to redesign the Grey Knights to follow the fluff, and give them unique mechanic, based on both the fluff and already established design (every gk being psykers)

/EDIT
    Last edited by Wildcard; 08-18-2013 at 01:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcard View Post
    Wargear: Every GK is psyker and is equipped with psycho reactive wargear

And its a knight, every knight should have the option to hold a shield /EDIT
    The Wraithknight is also a knight but it has a shield that gives it the same ivuln as the Dreadknight gets on it's own. And as every GK is a psyker, so is every eldar but we got nothing for it.

Well, as i said, my propositions/wishlisting/design/etc was just to make gk different from rest of the marines, while staying true to the fluff, and working on the already established design-frame (all psykers were just an example).

And riptide is just a big monstrous creature - and it has invulnerable save as well, not to mention the ability to overcharge it to 3++. Its just a matter of tactic how and when to use it in stead of some other power - offensive in this case.. so nothing unpresented nor game breaking yet..

I'd like to see Nemesis weapons brought into more line of power weapons. Instead of having to pay to upgrade, all cost the same, but each has a different ability- Nemesis Swords give +1 WS as they are the standard and GK have more practice with them. Halberds give +1I. Falchions give +1A for being a pair. Thunder Hammer and WArding Staff remain purchased upgrades, with the hammer as a hammer, and the warding staff changed to not be a save caddy, but to give a 3+ save against perils if the bearer miscasts, and a +1 to DTW saves.

and the warding staff changed to not be a save caddy, but to give a 3+ save against perils if the bearer miscasts, and a +1 to DTW saves.
    I know it is a matter of preference, but on "my design" it could be so that "base bonus" would be 3+ save against perils. Use 1 warp charge and it would be also 3+ invulnerable save, add 2nd warpcharge and it'll be 4+ inv for the squad and with 3 warp charges something like 4-5++ 6"-12" bubble..

Its so easy to play around the warpcharge stuff and effects that gain strenght based on how much effort is psychically put into using it..

Quote Originally Posted by Archon Charybdis View Post
    While just saying "gimme an assault transport" is a kind of a quick inelegant fix to the problem of having fragile assault units, I do think a Falcon with an assault ramp would've stood out more against the Wave Serpent and Fire Prism.
    That would have been awesome.

Chaplain

I wish my army could infiltrate / flank ... when i want it, without the use of a special charakter or the rolling of three ... guess what do i play?
    Peace through superior Firepower!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast