BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Iyanden Book

Chapter-Master

So any rules in said book are likely to be better than everything in the Eldar codex?
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

Iron Father

Quote Originally Posted by flekkzo View Post
    FYI, author is Mat Ward.
    That's fantastic no sarcasm intended. This has made me really quite happy (in case you hadn't noticed)
    http://paintingplasticcrack.blogspot.co.uk

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by flekkzo View Post
    FYI, author is Mat Ward.
    On a book that's mostly background? Dang. Sorry, Eldar players. At least it's just an ancillary book.

I'm both curious and concerned how much of a "rulebook" this would be, and if they plan to do this for each of the major craftworlds.
    Curious because I'm not all that happy with what this new book gives us compared to what most other books have provided in 6th ed, and if these supplement provide separate routes, almost like a form of do-over.
    I'm Concerned because there is a thought that GW somehow managed to figure out DLC for books (Moreso than normal). Where we pay for a codex, but 5 sets of "supplements", meaning an Eldar player is not even close to complete without buying 1 and a half rulebooks, or 1 full and 5 half rulebooks for all the craftworlds. Marine player would only ever have to shell out for one book and get all the special rules for that chapter. It could be argued that if a marine wants to play different chapters, which is a somewhat valid point. I will say, somewhat tongue-in-cheek, it's clear people who are drawn to Eldar appear to be completely ok with paying too much for something somewhat effective, so I guess they are testing the waters and seeing if it applies to RL too (nice move with the Dire Avengers, also if this is the case, the likes of Imperial Guard Players will get an encyclopaedia for a Codex.) I know this is not the first time they did this, even with eldar. When I got back into the game, I dusted off my old childhood Eldar box (Jesus I am happy I never sold that now) and inside I found this cute little book called "Craftworld Eldar". It was a brief thing that just changed the general organisational structure of things and had lots and lots of painting info (back when goblin green bases were current meta), but it was 1 book that managed to address 5 main craftworlds. Now they are going to spread out this concept over 5 full releases? Are Biel-tan going to have some Aspect Warriors as scoring but can't accept any non Craftworld Eldar as battle-brothers? Are Iyanden Wraithguards going to cost 5 points less but guardians cost 1 point more? (I am not a game designer, I have not balance tested these random rules, just pondering what could be)

I am almost as interested in how impactful this book turns out to be than I am with the baseline codex. On one hand, it could make being an "Eldar" player more interesting and varied than it already is, on the other hand, if it is too good these might be mandatory, it could be a cynical way to sell people an extra book, as "no idiot would ever play vanilla Eldar". On another hand, Matt Ward... and on another hand (holy crap chaos mutation, so many hands) is this even a route GW will see all the way though, or just make one book for this craftworld, and drop the idea before doing the others.

Chapter-Master

that argument doesn't really work though, marine players buy the supplement for their chapter, elder players buy the supplement for their craftworld. you don't buy all the supplements and get to use all the different rules and changes.
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    Ha! Prepare for nerdrage.
    But it's perfect. You can choose from a Kelly codec OR a Ward codex. For the first time Eldar players have that choice

Question is, will people let me play an Alaitoc force as Iyanden?

First-Captain

according to the guys in my local store it'll be available in print via direct order (like DftS) in two weeks

Proof will be in the pudding as they say.
    My moneys on a serious tilt toward threads titled "my fluffy iyanden list" rather than "my eldar list".
    We will all soon be ignoring army threads for iyanden armies, as they will all become very similar and overly popular.
    Yawn.

Veteran-Sergeant

I see requests quite frequently that people want special alien codexes. Kroot comes to mind. Exodites, specific craftworlds, etc. The real question is, will GW make more of these, and how many are willing to buy them?
    Last edited by flekkzo; 06-01-2013 at 11:01 AM. Reason: Spelling

I can see more supplements coming with figure releases. A Sam Hainn Codex with the release of new sculpt jetbikes and maybe a Sam Hainn Character.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast