BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 81 1231151 ... LastLast

Default Eldar Codex: So, What Do You Think Of It?

For those of you who also grabbed the digital Codex as soon as it was released, what are the first impressions?

After reading through it, I'm honestly not too sure....

It looks like everything is more expensive, even things which I would have considered over costed anyway! This could be a mark of brilliance that has the sum of the subtle changes cascade to make the list extremely competitive, I guess only theory crafting and gaming will tell.

Love the new units who fit in seamlessly, but again feels like some opportunities have been squandered (I'm looking at you, Autarch!)

I guess my hesitation comes from the earlier perception that 1) costs were going to go down, But instead they have gone up, and 2) They on the surface look just as squishy, along with loosing some of the more no-brainer abilities. Still, as I say before - if they can remain competitive than this codex simply enhances their status as a finesse army, which IMO is no bad thing!

What do you folks think?

Chapter-Master

Not really impressed, but it looks more playable than the previous codex so I'm not really that disappointed. I seriously doubt they'll be the next power codex, though, not by a long shot.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Its great, really fluffy, fun new units and changes will make playing a lot more interesting, Eldrad isn't needed in every list for a start!
    Its not a "power codex" but then, none of the 6th editions codexes really have been, its really nice

Battle-Brother

Eldar are a scalpel army. Always have been. Meq groupthink won't work on this one fellas.

Move, shoot, run. This is something no ones talking about. Sure you might roll a one and not run as far as you want. Point being you can shoot and scoot around corners. Peppering your enemy and ap2ing people hurts, you'll need to cut them down a few at a time.

Psychic goodness. You'll get many chances at the different powers, and if you take a Varried list, you'll just have to slot in your seers in different spots. Again, not a problem for a smart player not using a sledgehammer army.

Bs4 to everyone. Enough Said

War walkers w missile launchers will be a good alternative to the fighters if you so desire. 6 guided sky fire shots a turn isn't bad.

Reapers come in bundles of 10 is awesome plus they have 2 missile types now.

Phoenix lords o.o Asurmen looks beast, and the banshee one should be able to cut through termis nicely.

Sad that swooping hawks can't assault flyers, would have made them worth taking.

Overall I like the book. Is it easymode like neurons or grey knights? No. It's for smart people.

I think eldar will pester the hell out of the 'top tier' codexes. Only time will tell though...

Wow, Mantle of the Laughing God is a game-changer, stick that in a character with a unit of Shining Spears for fun guaranteed!

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by UrielVentris View Post
    Eldar are a scalpel army. Always have been. Meq groupthink won't work on this one fellas.

Move, shoot, run. This is something no ones talking about. Sure you might roll a one and not run as far as you want. Point being you can shoot and scoot around corners. Peppering your enemy and ap2ing people hurts, you'll need to cut them down a few at a time.

Psychic goodness. You'll get many chances at the different powers, and if you take a Varried list, you'll just have to slot in your seers in different spots. Again, not a problem for a smart player not using a sledgehammer army.

Bs4 to everyone. Enough Said

War walkers w missile launchers will be a good alternative to the fighters if you so desire. 6 guided sky fire shots a turn isn't bad.

Reapers come in bundles of 10 is awesome plus they have 2 missile types now.

Phoenix lords o.o Asurmen looks beast, and the banshee one should be able to cut through termis nicely.

Sad that swooping hawks can't assault flyers, would have made them worth taking.

Overall I like the book. Is it easymode like neurons or grey knights? No. It's for smart people.

I think eldar will pester the hell out of the 'top tier' codexes. Only time will tell though...

Move, shoot, run

Basically it's what they always did before 6th edition came along. Can they move, shoot, run, assault should be the question I would like answered.

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Quote Originally Posted by chicop76 View Post
    Move, shoot, run

Basically it's what they always did before 6th edition came along. Can they move, shoot, run, assault should be the question I would like answered.
    DO YOU EVEN READ THE RULE BOOK? ever?

do yourself a favour and verify what your thinking before you type it.

You have NEVER until now been able to shoot AND run.
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Battle-Brother

Here's mine:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	church-of-kelly.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	59.0 KB 
ID:	4151

"May Sixes be upon him" - The Church of Kelly is back in a BIG way. Between bladestorm, monofiliment and distort, almost every "6" does something extra...now I just gotta remember that during the game and each time praise our Eldar savior.

"My fortune has run out" - my 40k play style always revolved around a meaty unit (Wraithguard, Harlequins, Warlocks w/ Jetbikes, and even Pathfinders "fortuned up" via Eldrad or a Farseer. I guess I'm going to have to learn to play this game just like everyone else...

Challenge accepted - The options available to each Exarch and Phoenix Lord are quite amazing. There are so many different powers that change the dynamic of a 1-on-1 battle - I can't wait to roll-off against my opponent and see their faces when I turn their <insert UBER weapon here> into a measly butter knife. Although, I'm sure there'll be times where that same butter knife will be the death of me...

Leadership fail - There's a serious leadership test theme to this army that I'm going to have to spend a bit more time on. Starting with all the pinning weapons available, several ways to modify your opponent leadership rolls, and clever ways to ignoring fearless, cause fear and others, this combination is something to build upon.

Power Weapon X - I found it funny that there were a few instances in the book that kept the broad term "power weapon" leaving it for the player to model with either a sword/axe/lance/maul. By design, and if so, is it wrong that I want to magnetize my models to switch them out right before a match?

Heavy Choices - Is it me or the heavy weapon category just got heavier? Its good to see several viable Fast Attack choices, but there are so many options there for Heavy Choices now (and nothing moved out *cough* Dark Reapers *cough* War Walkers *cough*. I guess its a good thing.

Zooming in - Lastly, I'm pretty impressed with the variety of new precision shot rules led by the new HQ Ranger. His ability to make every shot a precision shot at BS9! and giving that ability to other pathfinders (for a cost) seems incredible! Not sure how viable it is, but knowing me, I'll give it a shot...pun intended.

Chapter-Master

I dunno i feel Kelly let us down a bit here. Great fluff, average rules. Which would be fine if every other codex wasn't great or better

My biggest problem is i only have 2 HQ slots. And want an Avatar, a Farseer, A spiritseer and a Wraithseer
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Baron.roboto View Post
    Wow, Mantle of the Laughing God is a game-changer, stick that in a character with a unit of Shining Spears for fun guaranteed!
    You realise that the character loses Independent Character right? Which means that they can't join units...

Quote Originally Posted by daboarder View Post
    DO YOU EVEN READ THE RULE BOOK? ever?

do yourself a favour and verify what your thinking before you type it.

You have NEVER until now been able to shoot AND run.
    Hello, we're the Tau Empire.
    Last edited by Tzeentch's Dark Agent; 06-01-2013 at 03:53 AM.
    Red like roses, fills my dreams and brings me to the place where you rest...

Page 1 of 81 1231151 ... LastLast