BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by thundrchickn View Post
    Beasts of War seems to do just fine with a broader range of coverage. Maybe if BOLS spent this downtime catering to other games, those games could make some more money to reinvest and really give GW a run for its money after producing better models. We can almost unilaterally agree GW makes the best models but maybe these other companies could get in their if they get the right funding to advance their production abilities. I admit that I come here mostly for 40k news articles but that doesn't mean I dont check out these new games that get a blurb or read strategy/introduction articles for other games. I'd love dystopian wars to become more popular because it's a better game imo compared to 40k. The rules are horribly laid out but it's much better with the rule summaries that are available on Spartan Games forums.
    This is what I sincerely happens.

I like the BOLS team's coverage and would like to see some of their creativity and style being dedicated to other games. I realize beasts of war already covers a varied spectrum but they are more of a news outfit whereas BOLS is more of a blog and shows off the more creative aspects of the game they are discussing. I feel like this unique flavor can be applied to other games to produce some amazing content. ^__^

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by NockerGeek View Post
    Get the IP protection laws changed so that companies don't have to be so kneejerk when it comes to defending their property.
    Takedown request was issued on April 22nd, the site goes down April 29/30th. There was plenty of time to communication to the public (in a social manner not just a DMCA) on the actions that were in progress. Does GW have to explain themselves in regards to their legal actions? No. That doesn't mean that they shouldn't.

There is a subtle difference between what GW is doing and how they are doing it that I'm getting at here. From a public perspective, the punishment is being doled out and then the reason is given for the punishment so the initial reaction is punishment for some unknown reason that is given later.
    Richard | Co-Host: Preferred Enemies Podcast | www.preferredenemies.com

If I believed Games Workshop actually had a public relations department, I would suggest sacking them. Whether we agree with their actions or not, nobody can dispute the fact that Games Workshop really, absolutely, completely sucks at public relations. I normally hate adverb abuse but in this case it is warranted.

Quote Originally Posted by Power Klawz View Post
    I was just preoccupied for a few years trying to get girls to like me.
    Getting tail trumps pretty much other "guy" activity, including any flavor of "playing toy soldiers".

In the immortal words of Alpa Chino: "I love tha *****, hell yeah!"

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker View Post
    Takedown request was issued on April 22nd, the site goes down April 29/30th. There was plenty of time to communication to the public (in a social manner not just a DMCA) on the actions that were in progress. Does GW have to explain themselves in regards to their legal actions? No. That doesn't mean that they shouldn't.

There is a subtle difference between what GW is doing and how they are doing it that I'm getting at here. From a public perspective, the punishment is being doled out and then the reason is given for the punishment so the initial reaction is punishment for some unknown reason that is given later.
    Of course, attempting to open up a dialog or make a comment of any sort draws out all the people who hate GW for whatever reason and it ends up turning into a lot of people arguing, but no one really discussing - and let's face it: a PR department's job isn't to discuss things with the public. It's to try to project a particular image for the company, and at this point I don't think anyone would buy a kinder, gentler GW trying to explain why it had to issue a takedown of a particular site. Too many people have their emotions tied up in the issue, and see these kinds of actions as personal slights, whether they are or not.

Of course, GW's communications department tends to take its ball and go home at the first sign of discontent, which isn't a winning strategy either. Both sides - and yes, I'm including all the people here who are up in arms - need to learn to chill out and think things through and figure out how to communicate without looking like *****. For the company, it means being willing to open up to discussion with the fanbase more. For the fans, it means putting down the torches and pitchforks, laying off the vitriol, and learning to act like reasonable people when such an opportunity arises. That doesn't mean you can't be angry with a decision, but it does mean learning to choke down the indignation, righteous or otherwise, and talk through something calmly and not take things personally.
    My Armies: Tau (complete), Chaos Space Marines (complete), Black Templars (2012/2013 project)
    My Blog: NockerGeek.net | Our Podcast: Preferred Enemies - http://www.preferredenemies.com

I should think, "controlling our own employees and not releasing WD weeks ahead of time in some markets," would take precedence as a rational attempt at a solution.

Apparently, others like you think that shutting down three websites is the solution.

Use some critical thinking please.

Battle-Brother

I just want to chime in as someone who left the WHFB/40k community over a year ago.

Possibly a reason that sites like BoLS don't cover as much Warmachine/Hordes, Malifaux, Infinity, etc. is because those companies openly discuss their products and upcoming releases on a regular basis?

The price increases drove GW product out of my price range, and the clamming up just rubbed me the wrong way, especially when I was doing my level best to sell the damned models, which I happen to still really like. I'm sure many local stores only start turning to selling other games when the product they have is no longer meeting their needs, like sales targets. Dedicated gaming customers can be fickle beasts when "new-shinies!" suddenly present themselves.

Especially so when the players, retailers, and even the company itself presents itself with an enthusiastic, open, "I'm-just-a-gamer-like-you" attitude. Most of my experience now is with Privateer Press, who run their own forums which all the upper levels of the company participate in, to some degree.

Now look at GW's PR strategy. It can be hard to tell if anyone above the design levels even like their product.

In the case of these takedowns, it sounds like GW is not particularly in the wrong. But it seems to be the same way that you would punish your dog for tearing up furniture when he had already done so dozens of times before, even though you didn't see it this time and may have been the cat after all.

I don't like the GW hate myself, but I also don't like the way GW treats its customers.

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker View Post

Said perfectly. It doesn't help that the DMCA is a terrible law anyway, but I'll leave you to go read The Verge or CNet at the length of that reality.

Just... It isn't what GW is doing. It is how. I love me some Orks. I am currently reading Betrayer and I'm blown away at how much I love that series. But they keep being just kind of jerky about how they treat people who should be their business partners. They should be working with sites and helping push out buzz and make their products grow and grow. An example of doing this right: Macklemore and Ryan Lewis. They hit #1 mainly from the buzz they were able to create on social media. Their music is out there for people to get free... and yet people bought it in droves. This is the modern world.

GW continues to want to make it harder to buy their products (no online sales but from their website) and harder to find out about what is coming out (poop storms like this one).

Why do you want to make it harder for me to be your customer GW? Why?
    Favorite Team Mate - 40k Narrative (Heresy) WARGames Con 2013
    Favorite Player - 40k Narrative (Armageddon) WARGames Con 2011
    Favorite Opponent - Warmachine Steamroller - WARGames Con 2010

Quote Originally Posted by AnEnemy View Post
    I should think, "controlling our own employees and not releasing WD weeks ahead of time in some markets," would take precedence as a rational attempt at a solution.

Apparently, others like you think that shutting down three websites is the solution.

Use some critical thinking please.
    Oh, I absolutely think that GW needs to try to figure out where the leaks in their distribution system are and quash those if they want to fix this problem. Alternately, I think they need to go back to a longer pre-release window, where there was a good month or more of information on a release before something went up for sale. One or both of these would have prevented a situation like this. The former would have prevented the leak in the first place, and the latter would have made the leak unnecessary, or at least far less important.

I do not like that Faeit212 and BoLS are down (and I'm unaware of a third site involved, but please keep me informed), possibly permanently in Faeit's case. That said, I cannot blame GW for taking the legal action that they are obligated to take to protect their copyrighted materials, nor can I blame Google for responding to that action in the manner that they are obligated to do so by the current law. I don't like current IP law, and I would love for it to be less restrictive, but both companies are playing in the legal pool that exists, not in the fantasy one I would like to see. As I've said earlier, this was a lose/lose decision for GW - no one was going to come out of this happy. However, anyone who thinks they were going to err on the side of not protecting their IP hasn't been paying attention.

Short version: it sucks all around, but it sucks the way the law says it has to suck.
    My Armies: Tau (complete), Chaos Space Marines (complete), Black Templars (2012/2013 project)
    My Blog: NockerGeek.net | Our Podcast: Preferred Enemies - http://www.preferredenemies.com

Occuli Imperator

Quote Originally Posted by isotope99 View Post
    Look up King Canute (the king who thought he could turn back the tide through sheer force of will).
    That is quite a common misconception, in fact he was proving the opposite. His stunt is showing that despite all of his powers he cannot affect the tides. ([url]http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-13524677[/url])

Quote Originally Posted by NockerGeek View Post
    Oh, I absolutely think that GW needs to try to figure out where the leaks in their distribution system are and quash those if they want to fix this problem. Alternately, I think they need to go back to a longer pre-release window, where there was a good month or more of information on a release before something went up for sale. One or both of these would have prevented a situation like this. The former would have prevented the leak in the first place, and the latter would have made the leak unnecessary, or at least far less important.

I do not like that Faeit212 and BoLS are down (and I'm unaware of a third site involved, but please keep me informed), possibly permanently in Faeit's case. That said, I cannot blame GW for taking the legal action that they are obligated to take to protect their copyrighted materials, nor can I blame Google for responding to that action in the manner that they are obligated to do so by the current law. I don't like current IP law, and I would love for it to be less restrictive, but both companies are playing in the legal pool that exists, not in the fantasy one I would like to see. As I've said earlier, this was a lose/lose decision for GW - no one was going to come out of this happy. However, anyone who thinks they were going to err on the side of not protecting their IP hasn't been paying attention.

Short version: it sucks all around, but it sucks the way the law says it has to suck.
    It is a consequence of the law, and as you say they are in a loose-loose situation, like when they had to take down the largest Warhammer Online forum.
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast