BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Black templars or Blood Angels for assaulty allies

Hi everybody.

I am building aprox 1500-1700 pts of Dark Angels.
    As fliers are non-existent in my meta,
    I would like to include some allies to bolster and diversy my assualt phase.

I am thinking about Blood Angels (sanguinary priest + assualt squad or DC) with a reclusiarch
    or Black Templars with crusader squad, sword brethren terminators and some sort of HQ.
    Experiences or suggestions?

Occuli Imperator

Hello and welcome aboard

I would suggest the BAs, though I am not entirely objective as they were my first army.

Death Company with Lemartes is a brilliant combo, as are the Death Company Dreadnoughts.

Assault Marines are Assault Marines whichever flavour of spacemarine that they come in
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Black Templars still make a very good list, and solid allies.... as Fire Support.

Despite the fluff and apparent direction of their design, their main strengths are:
    5-man squads with Las/Plas or MM/Plas. -fire support
    Venerable Dread with Tank Hunter -fire support
    Termies with 2 Heavy Weapons and Tank Hunter -fire support
    Storm Talons -fire support
    Vindicator with POTMS -fire support, and the blast works against an advancing CC element
    Preds with 3 Lascannons -fire support
    Typhoon/HB Speeders for 70pts -fire support

CC elements cost 16 pts per model, and don't have Frag Grenades. Yes, they can get Preferred Enemy... but at 17 pts with FG, plus the cost of the vow... they're not an efficient CC army.

So, basically... despite what the fluff tells you, Black Templars function well as a shooty army, and poorly as a CC army. If you're looking for CC support I'd go with Blood Angels.

Chapter-Master

Blood Angels, for this reason:

An allied detachment must be at least one HQ and one Troops choice. Of all the HQs and Troops available as allies for Dark Angels, Blood Angels have the tastiest close combat options. If your HQ choice is a Reclusiarch (Blood Angels version of a Chaplain) and your Troops choice is Death Company (crazy close combat marines who synergize particularly well with a reclusiarch leader), well... that's a scary close combat unit. Very scary. You can give them all jump packs, too, if you'd like to air drop them.
    ElectricPaladin Paints: http://tiny-plastic-dead.tumblr.com/
    ElectricPaladin Writes: burningzeppelinexperience.blogspot.com

Of the two you listed, Blood Angels are by far the better choice, having a newer Codex and more BA-specific models.

Alternately, field some flavor of Spaze Woofz. Big doggies!

Black Templars are probably the worst army you could pick. There isn't a single bit of protectable IP in any of the "Black Templars" heraldry which isn't a direct rip from the public domain historical Knights Templar or Knights of Malta, whereas the BA and DA Chapter badging is protectably unique and distinctive. GW will almost certainly fold them back into regular Space Marines, before sunsetting the entire range when the Chapterhouse case completes.

Reclusiarch and death company is about as fine a power armored beatstick as you can find. They can get real pricey real quick though, but toss in a few power weps and maybe a fist or hammer and leave the rest toting bolters, they're all relentless. This unit should pound pretty much anything into submission. Even just using their mitts in CQC they'll roll out 4 strength 5 attacks each on the charge, along with reclusiarch shenanigans that I can't quite recall at the moment.

If I remember correctly power weapons no longer affect feel no pain either, so even units like Howling banshees or Incubi that used to take death company to the cleaners won't have such an easy time anymore. (The nerf to furious charge did make them somewhat more vulnerable to MEQ and higher initiative armies though, watch out for slaanesh marines!)

Oh and if you strap jetpacks to these madmen they cost more than a college education, so I'd recommend dumping them on something squishy with a drop pod or just footslogging it. A rhino can work too I guess, it will get blown up but power armor will probably save your dudes from the worst of it.

EDIT: Apparently Reclusiarchs give you rerolls. Heh, man that's just mean.
    Last edited by Power Klawz; 04-10-2013 at 09:08 PM.

Veteran-Sergeant

Ok i dont know alot about your army list but in my old gaming groop no one wanted me and the BA player to partner up. So ill tell you in the minds of at least a few gamers there are few things that make people shake in there boots more than the pairing of Belial and Dante (i am a big deathwing player) i mean if you only put a copple of these units in there the pairing of the deathwing and the Sanguinary gaurd is just plain mean. And realy you cant ask for a better hand to hand beating stick than a bunch of Blood Angels. So i have to say go BA and be BA lol.
    "There's too many men, too many people, Making too many problems,
    And not much love to go round, Can't you see this is a land of confusion?"

Basically my army is an infantry-centric DA army.

Most of my marines are footslogging at the moment, but I suspec this will change as numbers grow.

The armys core is the Dark Vengeance set.

Meaning that I am usually having a librarian for an HQ
    the Dv Dw-terminator-squad and a Rw-attack squadron-
    I havede 2x tactical squad, a predator (autocannon/hb variant) and a devestator squd (the latter armed with 2x missile/2x las) I feel I need assualt.

Not sure you really need allies then....

Take some Deathwing Knights. Scary hard, and damned difficult to shift. Your opponent will need to slot every last one of them to get out of that combat....
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Veteran-Sergeant

Yea i have to agree with mr mystery some deathwing knights seem to be just what you need i have not yet had a chance to feild them yet but i do know just how hard it is to kill deathwing termanators. And lets just say it is enuff to make alot of players do evey thig thy can to try to kill them first wich can give you the room to do what needs to be done with the rest of your army since you are playing with the dark vengence set an extra squad of theis guys can and will give you some much needed punch and force your enemy to eather split there fire or decide who to try to kill first the deathwing knights or your regular deathwing guys. Also if you are a big "by the fluff" player like me then one thing to think about if you are going to use an ally is that bu there fluff the black templars wont work with a psyker other than the grey knights.
    "There's too many men, too many people, Making too many problems,
    And not much love to go round, Can't you see this is a land of confusion?"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast