BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Talking Thoughts on 750 points DA?

Ok so I'm looking to play some games of 40k and since I'm mostly fight tau, I've come up with this:

Azrael with no up grades 225 points

Then two five man terminator squad with one chainfist and one AC each 500points

That 725 but I don't mine the 25 point differece

First-Captain

pure Termies at such a low point level might just work - depends on the opponent though... I wouldn't want to face a horde army with that (just too many saves for you to fail). So should your opponent know what you plan to field, it'll be easy to counter (just for reference: you might face 4x20 Ork Boyz each including a Nob with a Power Klaw plus a Waaghboss leading the party - that would just crush you i'd assume).
    If he doesn't know or chooses not to tailor his list (which I'll assume in friendly games) your list should work pretty well - you have decent shooting and should it come to blows - well you are fielding Terminators, so... Just hope you are not playing for objectives (or if you are then that there are not too many) because with just two squads that might be tough...

Chapter-Master

I would use Codex Marines (i.e. Dark Angels in Codex formation). You can field lots of toys in that format without compromising your capability of securing objectives.

For Example: for 225 points you can have 15 Marines that can claim 3 objectives, and all have flamers and bolters, and are Stubborn. Throw in a Libby. That gives roughly 450 points for toys!!!
    Last edited by Tynskel; 03-13-2013 at 08:59 AM.
    QUOTE Jwolf: "Besides, Tynskel isn't evil, he's just drawn that way. "

The old ork addage "boys before toys" comes to mind.

I'm having trouble envisioning any other army coming to the table with 11 models at 750 points. Even MEQ is going to outnumber you at least 2.5 to 1 on average.

In a small game like that your average list is going to include a really cheap HQ and as many troops as possible, possibly something scary if you can cram it in. A divination librarian and 3 squads of tactical marines will shoot at least one squad off the board in the first turn if deployed properly. Lord help you if someone decides to bring some kind of vets with plasma guns.

I do like the idea of Azreal unlocking termi's at such a small points cost, but I think with those units you are wasting a lot of the value which you pay for with Azrael. Remember he gives his entire unit a 4+ inv. If you throw this in with Terminators you are using all of those points just to improve their inv. save by 1. If you put him in with marines, then you are giving them an awesome inv save when they had none before - much better bang for the buck IMO.

Also, don't forget that you get to chose your trait with Azrael. In an objective mission, I think giving him a FNP save with 3" of an objective is pretty killer and throwing him in with a squad of 10 marines is really nice - on par man per man with terminators as they have a 3+with 5+ FNP and a 4+ inv on the same toughness. They may have a bit of trouble in HTH with some units, but Azrael should more than make up for that and with the disposable sgt to take challanges, he can clean up guys pretty quickly. Plus, this will leave you with roughly 100 points which should be enough to get you 3 bikes with 2 melta who have teleport homers and can drop those termi's turn 1 right where you want them. The bikes and Termi's should be able to collapse a flank with the bikes being able to come back if need be, while 10 men +Azrael on an objective should be a fairly decent tar pit unit.

I see where you are going with this... but why would you ever take Azrael instead of Belial? He benefits the terminators way better and can deepstrike etc.

Very Well, thank you all and I will be switching Azrael for Belial

Thats a better choice but I still think you will have trouble with high number type armys. At least you don't have to paint much

A 750 tau force can have three to four 12 man fire warrior squads along with a HQ and his 2 guards in battle suits. They will have better range over all on your terminators 30/15 rapind fire. But atleast Belial will get you into CC faster.

I would say for tactics try to get into CC as fast as posible and don't get into shooting match at range if possible.

Veteran-Sergeant

ok as a deathwing player i have to say i like your list. but being a deathwing player i need to warn you that you must play the board to your advantage 5 terms vs the ork mob it can be done and you can win you just have to choose where you fight them... when playing the deathwing your advance is almost unstoppable and you can take and hold any objective you just have to commit and drive in on the enemy.so as a deathwing player you will be surrounded and outnumbered but really that just simplifies the problem since you will at least know where the enemy is. lol
    "There's too many men, too many people, Making too many problems,
    And not much love to go round, Can't you see this is a land of confusion?"

Veteran-Sergeant

here is how i would do it

Belial
    th/ss 190

deathwing sqd 245
    thss

deathwing sqd 235
    plasma cannon

predator 75

total 745
    then i would play with it too see what happend so i could see where and how i need to change things i like to play test rather than theroy test.
    "There's too many men, too many people, Making too many problems,
    And not much love to go round, Can't you see this is a land of confusion?"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast