BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Well Infinity is good, Warmachine is bloody tedious.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bigred View Post
    For me the big question is the fate of the flyer wave.

There is still murmurs of them out there on the other side of this book release. GW seems intent these days on the 7-day "OH LOOK BUY NOW" theory of marketing - so maybe those 4 flyers are coming in late February, or maybe punted off a quarter...

Meanwhile - Warmachine and Infinity grow like weeds...
    Larry - you really should, as an influential member of the gaming media, let GW know just how badly they're shooting themselves in the foot.

Personally - since I don't know whats coming for the next 6 months, I've put all my hobby spending on hold and dumping it into my boat instead. GW simply isn't giving me reason to set aside cash to buy their products since I have no idea whats coming.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Defenestratus View Post
    Larry - you really should, as an influential member of the gaming media, let GW know just how badly they're shooting themselves in the foot.
    they aren't though, sales figures show the policy works.
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

You say Infinity and Warmachine are growing like weeds (nice image for something you're supposedly in favour of!), and they probably are: but I say I've seen a quarter of the regulars at my local store buy new Chaos Space Marine armies (or supplements to existing ones), followed almost immediately by the same amount again (sometimes the same people!) buying new Dark Angels armies. There's plenty of chat about the rumours we've heard and the pictures we've seen on the internet, and the buzz that generates is real and pretty powerful. This is anecdotal, but it doesn't look like a failing policy to me.

There are plenty of prudent, save-up-for-something people out there, and those are also the people more likely to buy from existing ranges consistently. But there's a lot of money to be made in the buzz of the brand new thing, which is what they're getting at with this.
    Last edited by Cap'nSmurfs; 02-12-2013 at 11:35 AM.
    Social Justice Warlord Titan

Chapter-Master

yeah, GW have nothing to worry about from other games any time soon. Given that GW bashing is standard practice for many people on here it is easy to over estimate how popular other games are. I play a few other games, but Fantasy and 40k are always the mainstay, and almost nothing else is ever played at the local club with 100+ members.
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

Chaplain

If the Space Marines get the Storm Raven, I want my Grey Knights to get the Storm Talon! That thing is screaming for a Psychic Pilot!

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Kirsten View Post
    they aren't though, sales figures show the policy works.
    Causality != correlation

Are the sales figures up because of the new marketing strategy, or despite it?

I can only speak for myself, but in this day and age, I'm not exactly dropping $$ on GW stuff like I used to. I'm definitely sourcing things like hobby supplies and resin bases from non-GW entities and I don't see that stopping any time soon. I've been considering putting money into a piggy bank for when my Codex gets released but its kind of tough to decide to do that if

1) I don't have ANY clue when its happening
    2) I don't have ANY clue what, if any of the new models I'll actually LIKE
    3) I don't know what price any new models will be
    4) I don't know if I should go ahead and buy existing models now that may or may not get redone.

So what do I do? I spend money on my sail boat to the tune of about $2500 yesterday (new main sail) and about the same amount next month. That *was* money set aside for Eldar. Not anymore.

I also think that if you search through my previous posts, you'll find me siding with GW on many of their strategies, including price rises. I don't make a habit of hating on the company that provides me one of my favorite activities in life.

To be fair, when the Eldar are out, you can rebudget knowing exactly what you want and get them whenever you want, then. It's not like we have to buy things in one big splurge as soon as they're new.
    Social Justice Warlord Titan

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'nSmurfs View Post
    To be fair, when the Eldar are out, you can rebudget knowing exactly what you want and get them whenever you want, then. It's not like we have to buy things in one big splurge as soon as they're new.
    That is very true - but I wont be setting aside money for it like I would be had I known WHEN they were going to be released.

Instead- I'll pick up the collector's edition of the codex and a kit or two - but not a whole new army like I would like.

Why isn't any one complaining that the harpy won't be included!! I wanted a new model of a crab with wings!!!!

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast