BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Veteran-Sergeant

Default More codex creep-Skaven

Just read the White Dwarf battle report-4000pts of skaven vs a very capable 3500pts of dwarves. Victory condition was to capture the tower. Dwarves won with only 7.5 units out of 13 left! Ratmen lookin' scary due to frickin codex creep. (damn it)

Awesome if the creep is that good we might see something other than 5 DE and 5 deamons in the top 10 of the english throne heats

But the Dwarfs won........
    To a New Yorker like you a hero is some kinda weird sandwich, not some nut who takes on three Tigers!

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Aldramelech View Post
    Never trust a WD battle!
    I have a hard time believe the dwarves would have honestly won, right now they are one of the most handycapped armies out there.

Besides gw didn't play a standard game.

Unrelated: I'd be willing to bet that standard games will be disappearing in the next edition.
    DWs: Prussains. KoW: Elves WM: Khador WHFB: Dwarves WH40: IG, SM
    Games-workshop: changing the rules one new codex/army book at a time.

@the OP.

Oh... you're being sarcastic. Took a minute to get that through my thick skull.

I wouldn't worry too much about the results of one game. Often inaugural battle reports will field substandard lists for the new army, as they're trying to showcase the coolest parts of the new army.

We'll know soon enough whether the Skaven are underpowered/overpowered/just right, but we won't learn it from WD battle reports.

Veteran-Sergeant

The scenario was capture the tower-the dwarfs had a lord and hammeres take it from night runners in turn 4

Librarian

Regardless of the brokedness, I have made a vow...

Even if they can murderise my WoC. Even if they are the bane of Daemons. I will NOT surrender to an army that costs £20 for a 100pt unit.

Battle-Brother

yeah we have played 3-4 test games at my local club and thus far the conclusions are that. The magic is subpar, the doomwheel is ok, the plague furnace is a massive suicide bomb ( but easily avoidable), and that the old skaven gunline mentality will need to change.

Perhaps plague mortars, exploding slaves units and doomwheels/rat ogres to deal with monsters and cavalry.

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Aldramelech View Post
    Even with the dwarves winning, by the end of the report (just from the Plague monks alone) I could not see them coming out on top... The Bell eliminating almost all the war machines in one fell swoop was somewhat freaky...
    Check me out on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/InquisitorialMandate or search for MWG Leland!

Veteran-Sergeant

Having looked over the new Skaven book in some detail I’m of the mind that the list is quite balanced. There is a distinct lack of ward saves or really powerful magic weapons. Their characters are not very good at fighting (save the odd assassin) or leading (except from the rear…of a very large unit). The units are slightly more useful, but you can’t count on them to actually kill anything and woe to anyone that lets their clan rats get flank charged.

What they do get is a load of fun and deadly toys and a total lack of concern for their fellow rat-men. This is a hoard army done right IMO (the first real one…goblins don’t count). This is an army that is going to win, not by having unbeatable troops, not by having the most game breaking magic, but by holding your enemy back with sheer weight of numbers and blasting your enemy with deadly warp fuelled warmachines and magic. What I like most about the new list is the fact that you can make multiple army types and they could all be competitive. The Clans have returned in this list. You can go Skyre and take a ton of warp-lock firearms, mortars, flame throwers, doom wheels. You can do a Moulder monster mash army or a sneaky Eschin list.

I have not played against them yet, but I’d say they are closest to the Lizardmen in terms of their power level. I could see Skaven beating Daemons and Dark Elves if played right. It’s one of those lists where the power and tactics are not immediately apparent; I’d give it 3 months before I start screaming “codex creep”. Especially if all I had to go on was a WD battle report.

Dosadi
    "They created a desolation and they called it peace!" -- Tacitus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast