BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Banned

Default How much is GW ripping YOU off?

It seems that the the latest WoC release has ruffled a few feathers with its pricing in the US, particularly the Slaughterbrute. As it seemed to me, being Australian, comparatively priced I decided to do something I'd been meaning to do for a while and run some figures, comparing different countries prices across a range of products and the variations they have over the UK prices.

Figures are up [URL="http://collegiatitanica.blogspot.com/2013/01/how-much-is-gw-ripping-you-off_27.html"]on my blog for those interested[/URL].

Note 1: Yes, I posted this in the WoC thread as well, but it's a general thing.

Note 2: Yes, ripoff is a loaded word, but it makes for a great headline dontcha think
    Last edited by Gotthammer; 01-26-2013 at 03:09 PM.

Chapter-Master

Just makes me even more glad not to be foreign...

Last edited by Psychosplodge; 01-26-2013 at 01:20 PM.

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

They don't make me feel ripped off, I don't feel the need to buy much, I have what I need.
    Red like roses, fills my dreams and brings me to the place where you rest...

Veteran-Sergeant

Probably priced higher as revenge for other countrys getting mostly everything else cheaper (like fuel!!)

Price is the price. Pay it or don't pay it. Not seeing the issue here?
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

I'm with you on that Mystery.
    Red like roses, fills my dreams and brings me to the place where you rest...

Librarian

Well I don't like the Slaughterbrute so I don't really care about how much it is. Me personally, I was hoping for a more Nordic look to the monster.
    "Let them come. We shall smite them down where they stand" Warsmith Vorax of the 15th Grand Battalion.

Chapter-Master

Not at all really, I got priced out a few years ago but I have plenty of stuff to paint that's lying around from several different factions. I am happy with what I got and feel lucky for getting it at the time I did (now that prices are beyond what I can personally afford).
    Please support a Poor starving musician and buy my new album for only £5 :
    https://ionplasmaincineration.bandcamp.com/album/decoding-the-quantum-star-verses

Battle-Brother

i don't feel ripped off at all.

40k is in no way a necessity to life. it's a game - and one game out of a bunch. if it were flour, vegetables, milk, meat, or anything of the sort, okay. but it's not even a tv dinner, "basic" but more expensive than its parts - it's a fine wine. it's not required, it's an extra, it's something that can and should be dropped if finances are hard.

if i want to play cheaply, i can (and do). it's called discipline and having a little self control. being an adult (pardon to you folks that aren't yet).

aussieland, i'm sorry it is more expensive to play 40k - that sucks. but you're not being screwed. you just have to pay more for a particular LUXURY item. be creative: buy less, make deals with friends to swap bits. buy greenstuff and learn to convert/model. since your stores aren't getting much GW support for tournaments, hold tournaments -- with no citadel miniature requirements.

also, perhaps there's more than GW at play here? get out of your microcosm. look at the full tapestry, maybe things are the way they are for a reason (or MANY REASONS).

Interesting figures.

Basically stuff that has to be sent to the other side of the world costs more, presumably because they are shipping a long way from UK manufacturing sites (I think they still cast most things in the UK) at relatively low volume. To be really representative, the prices should be adjusted with some kind of shipping cost estimate.

There's a bit of a chicken-egg problem here, to lower the shipping cost they need high volume (like in the US which is a big market), but to get higher volume they need more reasonable prices.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast