BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I'm with DarkDesigner, the GW artwork seems to depict things as generally being less mechanical or overtly technological. Everything is organic and flowing and has an aesthetic quality that belies its practical function.

But there is a difference between organic looking and looking like it's been carved out of stone. Personally I feel you should be able to tell the difference between Elven and Eldar terrain. I also disagree that elder architecture as depicted looks low tech, just look at the Craftworld vistas in the 5th edition BRB. Lugganath I think it was.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

And yet nobody's reaction to this product is, "I can't believe they totally ripped off Games Workshop! This business should be destroyed!"

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Quote Originally Posted by weeble1000 View Post
    And yet nobody's reaction to this product is, "I can't believe they totally ripped off Games Workshop! This business should be destroyed!"
    uhmmm maybe its because 1 they are within the bounds of IP and not blatantly stealing GW names and designs, or 2 because GW doesn't make eldar/elven terrain, or 3 they're not digging their heals in and refusing to admit their fault to the detriment of 40k as a whole....

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    But there is a difference between organic looking and looking like it's been carved out of stone. Personally I feel you should be able to tell the difference between Elven and Eldar terrain. I also disagree that elder architecture as depicted looks low tech, just look at the Craftworld vistas in the 5th edition BRB. Lugganath I think it was.
    Agreed, but isn't that more about how these have been painted for display on the website? I assume the kits wouldn't come with all the moss attached, and you could paint it to look much cleaner/fresher and much less like stone? I suppose if they are roughly textured then this might be something that you'd have to look to smooth, versus just a paint scheme? (And I would imagine adding a few of the 'gem'/'tech-bulges').

I was hoping to build some Eldar terrain with the help of a friend's laser cutter/engraver, but am also considering having a look at those kits to see if they could be tweaked as I guess those questions about about how else one might paint it, whether it will be rough-textured, etc kind of only get answered by seeing it in the flesh.

Fair point, I'll have to buy some to see.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Daemon-Prince

Why not get some sea shells to use as terrain? They kinda look like eldar spires and are free on the beach
    Potential war gameing Jawa.

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by White Tiger88 View Post
    Why not get some sea shells to use as terrain? They kinda look like eldar spires and are free on the beach
    You sir, are potentially a genius. (I had thought to myself about how I could get 'spires', when having thoughts about Eldar structures).

They look an awful lot like the Eldar terrain in the beginning of the 4th edition Eldar codex. Nicely done!

Chapter-Master

I think i'm going to try buying the landing pad and the towers. They look pretty good to me.
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast