BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 65 of 300 FirstFirst ... 1555636465666775115165 ... LastLast

2 wound farseers seems like a pretty logical thing to happen to draw them back in line with most other 6th edition analogues. Librarians and chaos sorcerers are both 2 wounds with variable mastery levels. Obviously farseers will have a mastery level 3 ceiling, not sure what the basement will be though. I assume they'll start at level 2 and have the option of buying 3 for 25 points.

Turning Warlocks into actual psykers would be really great I think, depending on what lores they have access to. Comparing them to the obvious analogue of Thousand Sons sorcerers you'll probably end up with an eldar specific lore consisting of 3 random powers and 1 primaris, with the third power being a warp charge 2 cost and therefore out of reach of warlocks, so you'll basically have a 50/50 chance of something or you can opt for the primaris.

The obvious reason for the change would be to remove the "must have" tag from farseers. Of course, you can't accomplish this satisfactorily unless you also buff Autarchs or any other HQ choices that are available. I'm pretty sure that is something that will happen.

The vehicle rumors are also a no brainer. The base cost of eldar vehicles isn't too far off of what it should be, its just the horrendous price tag and obsolescence of the options. A discount on options and a refresh on the wargear rules and you're back in business.

Brother-Captain

I'm kind of hoping the Eldar HQs go back to full on random stats. I remember them getting concrete stats in 2nd for the most part, Defense can look it up as he didn't foolishly throw his 2nd ed. codex out, but 2W could mean 1+Dx wounds and for some horrible reason that would make me happy. Also, Death Mission. Let's bring back that little bit of cray cray. It wasn't very effective, but it was still super fun.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Gwyidion View Post
    Shouldn't have to write this out, but :

specific and accurate. he has access to information.
    And while I don't have specific quotes, one of the times I met TasteyTaste was before the Sisters codex came out, and he had a lot of exclusive, dead-on rumors at the time I talked with him.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Chapter-Master

but the point is if you want traditional Eldar buffs you've got Divination (and don't be one of those 'oooh, no Fortune, Divination is terrible' people)
    Sorry but I will be one of those people.

The Divination powers by and large STINK compared to the standard Eldar ones in everything but effective range, and prescience working in melee.

The power that gives you a 4+ inv save pales in comparison to Fortune for all but guardians, and its just a bit of a slap in the face yet again that Eldar "goodies" get chopped up and doled out to other races like the free candy on Halloween.

As for the snide comment about "Have I read a 6th edition codex?" ...

I have no reason to think that in a game of made up space elves casting magical space elf powers that they have to conform to the "random psychic powers" table "rule". Hell, the "loremaster" power apparently exists in WFB for this very reason.
    I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. --Voltaire

Divination doesn't stink, current eldar powers are too good, as evinced by the fact that they manage to almost single-handedly keep a broken list viable. It defeats the purpose of having a common pool of abilities for all armies to draw from if you simply supersede all those powers for particular armies. With the advent of divination, eldar specific power no longer have a truly unique motif. Yes, they handed out the eldar cookies to everyone (well not everyone, but a lot of people.) and that's how it is now.

The undertone of 6th edition is "balance." You really can't approach balance without running into it's cousin, homogenous design. There needs must be increased commonality to promote interesting play. The game really isn't centered around camping out your "favorite army" and never deviating. I'm quite sure they'd love it if everyone owned every model for every army as a matter of fact. The job, then, of the design team is not to make your favorite army so incredibly awesome and unique that it stands alone atop a precipice, but to make all the armies playable with unique aesthetics and tactics, but drawing from the same tool box for the most part.

Taking something that works from a single army and giving it to every army isn't necessarily a bad thing. We saw in 5th edition what unabashed power creep and special snowflake syndrome accomplished.

Veteran-Sergeant

I have to say reading all 65 pages of this thread has been interesting. By interesting I mean actually about 20% vaguely informative and 80% watching the little wordsmithying going on. I can wait for the codex, I have been for the past few years so a few more weeks will not kill me. Therefore I shall wait until I have that beautiful hardback in my hands before I begin lamenting the loss of various aspects of the previous codex AND giggling insanely at all the new stuff.
    Last edited by Iyandagar; 05-09-2013 at 04:12 PM.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Power Klawz View Post
    Divination doesn't stink, current eldar powers are too good, as evinced by the fact that they manage to almost single-handedly keep a broken list viable.d.
    Thats funny.

Let see....we have Guide...a power everyone with Divination has.
    We have Mind War...which you get deny the witch, look out sir and cover saves from
    We have fortune....the only power that isn't ripped off by someone else. And when its just cast on themselves, theres one in Divination that the same, if not better
    Doom. Again theres a power that performs a very similar job in Divination (reroll armour saves, not wound)
    And Eldritch Storm...so bad I don't even remember what it does. Isn't it like a S3 AP- blast?

Warlock Powers - a Flat 5+ cover save. A heavy flamer. A reroll to Ld. And +1 Ini + WS. Nothing particularly amazing there

Compare them to other races unique powers. The Avenger. Jaws of the World Wolf. Blood Lance. So many great powers out there. The Eldar ones were good. Now every race has Divination, and it contains nearly everything unique that the Eldar had made better....
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

All those super amazing unique powers you mentioned are products of 5th edition.

The "too good" aspect of the current implementation of eldar powers is the lack of randomness, when compared to current edition lists. Mitigating all chance in your selection process you can tailor your list specifically to take advantage of extremely powerful force multipliers. As I stated previously this is basically the only thing keeping Eldar afloat right now. I don't think the powers themselves are out of line as they obviously find analogues in divination... which is something I specifically mentioned.

My point is that when you bring the rest of the list back in line with current edition rules you don't need that kind of absolute power. It becomes redundant to a degree because of the existence of divination. You add a bit more randomness to the equation and it balances out because the rest of the list is no longer hobbled by age.

You can't look at the change in a vacuum, you have to consider not only the rest of the revamped list but also the current edition and its trends. It doesn't make sense for Eldar to be the only army that gets to keep cherry-picking powers.

Eldar picking their powers wasn't something unique to them, it is not a facet of their design philosophy or aesthetic, it was simply how business was done in the edition in which they last got a codex. When you lose that capability, you're not really losing anything since everyone else has or will eventually lose it too.
    Last edited by Power Klawz; 05-09-2013 at 02:30 PM.

Don't forget that Fortune comes on a T3 HQ IC for usually no less than 100 points and has a 6" range. So it is a unit upgrade.

It would be absurd to nerf anything in the codex, really. Even Fire dragons are at a "should probably be left as is" level.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Gwyidion View Post
    Don't forget that Fortune comes on a T3 HQ IC for usually no less than 100 points and has a 6" range. So it is a unit upgrade.

It would be absurd to nerf anything in the codex, really. Even Fire dragons are at a "should probably be left as is" level.
    We also have to pay for all those powers too. We have to pay 30 points for fortune. Its not something that we somehow get for free.
    I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. --Voltaire