BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Chapter-Master

I think in the article I say that Feel No Pain is great for any unit, but I wanted to stress that a big unit sitting in cover with Feel No Pain will be unreasonably hard to dislodge.

Ultimately which unit you give Feel No Pain is up to you - what unit do you think needs it more, i.e. which unit do you expect to be taking more firepower? Typically that would be a close-combat unit, so I would say your assault unit. However, be aware that some armies will prioritize your ranged unit because of the damage they can do to certain units - i.e. Tyranids, Daemons and Orks will probably target the ranged unit more with their own long-range weapons. In that case, the points may be better spent on them.

There's also the valid 'point-per-model' cost of certain upgrades that affect an entire squad, and a good example would be Psybolt Ammunition for Grey Knights. It is the cost of a Strike Squad member to give all Storm Bolters in the unit S5. Now, the value of Psybolt increases exponentially the bigger the squad; a 5-man squad means you are essentially paying 4-points-per-model for it. A 10-man squad, however, pays only 2-points-per-model for the upgrade. This may seem trivial but it is a good way to work out when an upgrade is worth it for a unit if you can't decide and want to resort to number-crunching. As such, bigger squads would benefit more from expensive upgrades like the Icon of Excess.

Of course though, if the upgrade is worth it, then you are likely not to care about that ratio anyway.

Thanks very much for this. As a newcomer to the game playing Chaos Marines this unit breakdown was very informative and will help me plan any additions to my new army. Thanks again.

Chapter-Master

I'm very happy to help, I hope you have a successful career on the path to becoming a feared all-powerful lord of Chaos!

I might update this with like a mini-FAQ, maybe even add the stuff in I was going to add before. I've recently found Cultists are amazing where I play, I've only used them in a few games but each time they have been fantastic. Either my opponent has ignored them and the Cultists have either secured an objective or did some decent damage, that or my opponent has actually attempted to hurt them and come up lacking. Seriously, 20 of these buggers isn't fun to be charged by. The reality is, dice work best in sheer numbers, and the amazing number of attacks these guys put out is crazy. A 20 man unit puts out 60 attacks at WS3, S3, I3 all for 90 points. I find that funny.

They are also laughably good with Dark Apostles. 60 attacks re-rolling to hit plus the Apostle himself? Woah.

Sounds like my first new purchase then is to bulk up my cultist units! At the moment I only have the contents of the Dark Vengeance starter set. The smaller cultist units seem to die very quickly when I play against my friend (who has the Dark Angels). Though now we have obtained the relevant codices for our armies it seems I have points disadvantage. Time to even the odds and I may start winning some games!

Chapter-Master

Yeah, generally speaking Dark Angels should be winning any Dark Vengeance games - they have a lot more points and a better overall army in the box. Most of their stuff just kills the Chaos stuff too easily, i.e. the amount of plasma they have.

The best way to run Cultists generally is to run them with Typhus, though that depends on whether you would like to do a Nurgle themed army or not. When combined with Typhus, Cultists become Plague Zombies and they are the most cost-effective tarpit/horde unit in the entire game. Without Typhus, I would recommend 20-strong squads and keep them base, maybe with a flamer or two.
    The cool thing is that to buy 20 Cultists from GW - i.e. buying four of the five-man boxes - costs you less than, for example, a Chaos Marine box would - at least in Australia anyway. In that sense, they are quite easy to bulk up.

A question - what kind of Chaos army are you looking to field? Is it going to be based on the Crimson Slaughter, per the Dark Vengeance box, or are you going to do something else? Are you looking for an Undivided (all-god) army list or a cult-specific list (mono-god)? Once you've bulked up your infantry - and I would recommend a Chaos Marine squad or two and some extra Cultists, as Troops are really important in 6th edition - I would then start looking at maybe some tanks or heavy-weapon holding units to give you some hard-hitting firepower.
    If you are looking for tips on what to get then I'm happy to help
    Last edited by Learn2Eel; 11-20-2012 at 07:24 AM.

Thanks for the information. Extra Cultists and a new Chaos Space Marine unit are most likely the next purchases followed by something heavy hitting.

A question - what kind of Chaos army are you looking to field?
    A good question and one I'm not too sure of yet myself. I've been mulling over the codex and considering all the options as to which direction I want to take. My main line of focus seems to be on a Black Legion themed army. As a newcomer they seem appealing as they are less geared in one direction and allow for some flexibility in choices so I can mix and match freely until I find a list that works well for me. I like the idea of the bitter veterans with a long association with Chaos able to utilise the more esoteric chaos options. This is also to differentiate from my friend with the Dark Angels. As being marines as well I hope to try to avoid some of the choices that appear in the loyalist lists. For instance the use of the daemon engines over the traditional Astartes tanks etc. Another boon (no pun intended) of the Black legion is the relatively simple paint scheme.

Chapter-Master

The Black Legion is always fantastic, especially for those new to the codex. Basically, you aren't really limited as to what you can take, unlike other warbands represented in the codex.

Daemon Engines, I like! When it comes to them, my recommendations (and this would be an investment) would be to look at the Maulerfiend and Forgefiend and decide what you think looks the coolest and also think about what your army will need. What armies you would usually expect to come up against always helps. Generally for daemon engines the mainstay of them would be a mixture of those two - a cool idea is to maybe have one of each, and then for the third Heavy Support choice, take a unit of Havocs with autocannons or even some Obliterators?
    And before I forget, the other commonly-seen daemon engine - the Heldrake - is nuts. I would recommend getting one but as it is pretty difficult to use and expensive it might be wise to hold off on that one for a bit.

Overall, it's really up to you - for Chaos-specific units, the daemon engines, Obliterators, Chaos Spawn and Possessed stand up tall.

Yes that sounds like a plan to me. For the time being I am just playing against my friend until we have a better grasp of the rules before we step out into the big bad gaming world. For a basic startup I am now considering a good core of Cultist and regular Chaos Marines led by a Sorcerer backed up with probably Forgefiends and some Obliterators for some heavy firepower. May throw some Chaos Spawn in too. I will draw up a rough first army list soon aiming for around 1,500pts. That seems a common points size for most games in my area.

Quote Originally Posted by Learn2Eel
    The Black Legion is always fantastic, especially for those new to the codex. Basically, you aren't really limited as to what you can take, unlike other warbands represented in the codex.
    Care to expand on this statement a bit please ? Do you mean limited in the fluff sense or... ??

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Godless Zealot View Post
    Yes that sounds like a plan to me. For the time being I am just playing against my friend until we have a better grasp of the rules before we step out into the big bad gaming world. For a basic startup I am now considering a good core of Cultist and regular Chaos Marines led by a Sorcerer backed up with probably Forgefiends and some Obliterators for some heavy firepower. May throw some Chaos Spawn in too. I will draw up a rough first army list soon aiming for around 1,500pts. That seems a common points size for most games in my area.
    Draw up a rough list and post it in the army lists subforum and we can give you better feedback.

Undivided marines are awesome as you can get lots of bodies on the board for cheap if you want or you can make them better for more points, just make sure you don't go too crazy with upgrades. Take Veterans of the Long War if you face Loyalist marines often, that Hatred bonus is a nice CC bonus, the Ld bonus is a plus too.
    I reject your reality and replace it with my own.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast