BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by lattd View Post
    I really don't understand the hate for lord of the rings. It gave GW a much greater brand name and had really tight rules (surprisingly) for GW. Yes it didn't work well in big battles but i could play a 700pt game of lotr in a faster time than 2000pt 40k and i've had much more interesting games with lotr. But nothing for me in these rumours :/ eldar tau are the two im waiting for.
    I really like the models and have started using them for counts-as and conversions.

It's really disappointing and seems kind of counter intuitive that they'd put off releasing some new codices sooner rather than later.

Looking at 8th Edition Fantasy, which was released in July 2010, the first Army Book came out in March 2011, and was followed by only 2 more books that year. I know that looking at past for precedent is not all that reliable, but one could assume that the release of an edition doesn't really factor into the plans for Codex releases, other than the switch to the new hardcover full-color format. It seems like some coordination of availability of model production, completed books, Studio army painting time, photography, and now digital book production all have to come together to create a release, and it doesn't seem like GW is all that motivated to crank out any more books than they have in the past in any given amount of time.

We all hoped that the conversion to a digital design process would speed up the release rate, but that doesn't seem to have happened. It has resulted in some ridiculous new unexpectedly good models when they come out, but with the release of new units in the recent past in WD and these Official Update packets that are coming in WD, I would tend to think that GW is actually now more comfortable with a slower pace of book release(all of which would tie in with rumors regarding changes in the way things were going to be done in the Chapterhouse lawsuit aftermath).

@inquisitorsog - Don't take away our Dark Angels Codex! In the past, not only FOC differences, but also changes in options and load-out, and sometimes Special Rules. In the 3rd edition codex, every unit had to roll each turn to see if it would become Intractable, where the unit couldn't move, but would count as Stubborn until the beginning of your next turn, in addition to the Hunt the Fallen rules. So, there were as many differences as Blood Angels.

I'm not trying to take it away. I just was wondering as they look far less different than others. I wouldn't mind a new DA codex, but I also wonder why we couldn't just have a double sized Marine codex that actually allowed for some variation. Yeah, I'll stop smoking the crack now.

If they come out with a new DA codex, my decision to use crossed swords as my custom chapter's insignia will be instantly validated as I can just refluff them to be a DA successor and use the new codex.
    If this is the way mankind ends up, I'm rooting for the Orks.

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Kirsten View Post
    I still think Cruddace is a great book writer, the tyranid hate is just silly. I look forward to h doing Tau (or possibly having done Tau by now, given the schedule) I look forward to there being a hammerhead with a heavy 15 gun, inevitable really :P
    The tyranid hate comes from the fact that even with the most competetive build you can make, they still don't fare well unless you are lucky. Their monstrous creatures are FAR overcosted for how much survivability you get, because Tyranid MC's are definitely not difficult to take out if you know what you are doing. Then there was the doubling of the cost of the carnifex, making them an almost unusable unit except for specific cases. Then there is the lackluster effect of many of their troops, that while useful and the like, can be killed off rather handedly by a fart in a stiff wind.

Sure nids have some great benefits, but to counter that we get swift kicks in the chest while we are still thanking our great master cruddace for giving us such amazing high cost things that in the end just become priority targets that no matter how you protect them they die easily within the first turn or two.

So really, if I see Cruddace's name on the next tyranid codex, I might just say F*** it to my bugs much as I love them.

I am of course being hyperbolic, but really, the things that tyranids use for their bread and butter in the end kind of suck and are average at best. Because so far in this edition, vehicles and their hull points have a better chance to survive than my massive monstrous creatures.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v506/rlocke2/551391_4297044038379_634463020_n.jpg

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    Vetock does good work. Skaven are a good book, but his writing style was somewhat less than lucid, it required quite a bit of FAQing and Errata. He learnt from that though, his next book Orcs and Goblins was very good, nicely balanced. Hist last, Ogre Kingdoms (wrriten with Jerbis Johnson) is considered one of the stronger 8th edition books without being broken or overpowered. Really confident he will do daemons justice.

Ward has been improving. His background hasn't been at all bad since GK, the Necrons tuff was really rather good as was his SoB background. Ditto his rules, Necrons are a strong book but not really broken or overpowered (unless your fighting them with a 4th edition codex that got hit quite hard by 6th...). Really not worried about Ward.

Cruddace has also improved, his Tomb Kings book for WFB was inoffensive, his Empire book quite good and his SoB rules were also inoffensive given the constraints of being a WD book. I can't blame you for being worried, I was when I heard he was doing Empire. But he delivered a good book, so I wouldn't get too morose just yet.

Kelly writing eldar is just great, really hoping this is accurate. As you say the Eldar book has aged well and was very good at the time and the Dark Eldar book is, in my opinion, one of the best codices GW have produced in terms of internal and external balance.
    I second all of this, especially the stuff about Cruddace. He gets hammered simply because he writes books which don't have an 'auto win button' and actually require a bit of thought and balanced list writing.

As for people moaning about the DA book being put back, who was actually expecting it this year? November has been pencilled in as a Warhammer month for ages and there was never going to be anything significant to go alongside the cash cow of The Hobbit in December.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

I f*cking was! I was expecting it this month! Not this stupid Warriors of Chaos mini release...
    Red like roses, fills my dreams and brings me to the place where you rest...

Iron Father

Quote Originally Posted by Tzeentch's Dark Agent View Post
    I f*cking was! I was expecting it this month! Not this stupid Warriors of Chaos mini release...
    I was too, now I have got to the point that I couldn't care less.
    http://paintingplasticcrack.blogspot.co.uk

Rawr, Agent smash!!

Librarian

I think anyone not named Phil Kelly at GW is not allowed to work on Eldar. He is synonymous with eldar, as ward has become with Space Marines

Sounds fair.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast