BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Default 40K scale Imperator Titan design

I've been thinking about doing a full size Imperator Titan for a while but lacking the awesome plasticard skills of a Blackadder or Machinator, couldn't come up with a good way to do the skeleton that would be strong enough to bear the weight.

I think I have hit upon a solution in my local hardware store which is rigid PVC plumbing pipe, which is strong and light and best of all comes with pre-formed connectors that can serve for the major joints (Knees are always the hardest part).

Here are some initial sketches of what I'm thinking. Grateful for any comments/criticisms/pitfalls before I get started. Going to be a long project this (estimate 6-8 months for completion).

Legs:
    MDF feet screwed onto the pipe with metal brackets, crater pieces in between toes to show its weight smashing up the ground.

Bulked out legs with a mix of shrine of the aquila GW pieces, manufactorum walls, plasticard and narrower piping for pistons.

More Pistons and Tubing around the Knees and hips with plasticard panels to disguise the plumbing joints.

Plasticard and MDF waist around the main Tee joint where the legs meet the torso.

Waist honour banner

Torso:
    MDF base for the fortress with a plasticard box for the torso.

Halloween skulll with extra plating, lenses and green stuff for the head.

Plasticard panelling and other cities of death parts, including a balcony at the waist level.

Main guns:
    Mix of Piping and plasticard (more detailed designs to follow) with more honour banners as on the epic model.

Fortress:
    Lots of GW kits here, fortress of redemption towers and bunkers, Garden of Morr pieces, bastions etc. I have quite a few bits left over from previous terrain projects but the top is going to be most expensive, particularly if I push the boat out for FW titan guns.

Last edited by isotope99; 05-16-2013 at 02:10 PM.

Chapter-Master

total cost >£9000
    visit my blog: www.fuzzbuket.blogspot.com I do cheap commsion work
    And COME TO BOLSCON UK and yell about my font!

I would avoid GW products if you can. I am sure you have plenty of sprue with all of the glyphs you need. I would look into mideval minutures and models of castles. Also in Ca it used to be manditory to make a model cathedrial or mission. Still a lot of plastic models available for that.

[URL="http://www.modelcastles.biz/"]http://www.modelcastles.biz/[/URL]

[URL="http://www.thefind.com/family/info-model-medieval-castle"]http://www.thefind.com/family/info-model-medieval-castle[/URL]

Not sure if this will help as they may not be the size you need but a hell of alot cheaper than GW. I would also look into a resin casting kit. I believe they start at around $100 USD. You could then set up custom molds for items you plan to make multiples of. I have never taken on a challenge like this so I am thinking of how I would tackle it. You eat a whale one bite at a time! Best of luck.

Budget wise I expect somewhere between a warhound and reaver in cost, so a lot but not off the crazy scale.

A few more rough designs. Things will inevitably change when I get to building but it's a start.

Next: Step 1 Jigsaw the MDF pieces and screw on the uprights for the legs.

Daemon-Prince

Plumbing pipe and 2 Imperial bastions for the legs Also isnt this more Warlord scale? an Imperator should be a 3 year old kid in size....

It's maybe a little short, I'm working off a 50% size increase for each class:
    Warhound 12"
    Reaver 18"
    Warlord 27"
    Imperator 40" (almost 3 and a helf feet)

I also want it to stand on a 24" wide tile so there's some element of practicality here

Daemon-Prince

Quote Originally Posted by isotope99 View Post
    It's maybe a little short, I'm working off a 50% size increase for each class:
    Warhound 12"
    Reaver 18"
    Warlord 27"
    Imperator 40" (almost 3 and a helf feet)

I also want it to stand on a 24" wide tile so there's some element of practicality here
    But...Child size would give you the ability to make your opponents wet them selves when you tell them you need to go out to the car to get your model for a 5000pt game.

Chapter-Master

i do like where this is going, my only gripe is that the classic emperor titan looks very... static?

still cant wait to see this finished (and because TDA is going to make me say this anyway) AND AT BOLSCON 2013 (c) "DONT BE SOFT, HAVE A FIGHT", "yell at fuzz about font" , "see TDA and mr.mystery for details"

tehe

and for scale i think the novel "titanicus" gives a good idea of scale (and for interior idead read the OOP "dictato"

-fuzz

p.s. you win the internet if you name it Dictato
    visit my blog: www.fuzzbuket.blogspot.com I do cheap commsion work
    And COME TO BOLSCON UK and yell about my font!

Daemon-Prince

Gah now you are making me want to go to BOLSCON but flying over the pond with a bunch of resin guardsmen seems like a bad idea........Just to get owned by the sheer awesome of this Titan

Going to try and cheat the knees so it is striding forward but i want the bottom part of the legs vertical just for stability. Hopefully the torso and guns will be able to rotate too for extra pose options.

Some initial scale shots with the MDF feet (will be further apart in final version) and fortress base (plus some bits I found - mirrored shot).

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast