BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lone Wolves

Battle-Brother

Default Lone Wolves

Hay, today I played a game using the new space wolves codex and decided to use 3 lone wolves. general speaking how do you guys think of them? I found ,at least in my game, that they are worth their points. I know their slow and expensive when outfited correcty (75 points for 1 with terminator a and TH/SS) ,but with this configuration they are really hard to kill. So give me your thoughts on this importan topic.

Veteran-Sergeant

Right now I'm messing with the idea of a Lone Wolf equipped with terminator armor, storm bolter and chainfist. Since he's equipped with Terminator armor he can't take grenades so there's little reason to not take a chainfist. His job is basically to make a beeline for anything big and expensive - tanks, walkers like Dreadnoughts, Monstrous Creatures and the like. Failing that, he just goes HQ hunting and tries to one-shot somebody with his chainfist. I don't think a storm shield is a worthwhile investment as it makes a relatively cheap model more expensive. Besides, his job is to die anyway, especially in Annihilation missions, so there's no need to spend too many points protecting him. Terminator armor keeps him alive long enough to get into combat and break something and not a moment longer.

Looking forward to other people's thoughts!

Battle-Brother

Question

Yeah chainfist could be good, but whats up with the storm bolter? If your hunting vehicals or the big guys your not going to be able to shoot your bolter to a very much degree. I know it keeps thing cheap, but in my opinion it's worth 5 points to get a combi melta.

Oh, and by the way I know it might seem counter productive to give more protection to a guy that is supposed to die, but the advantege to the storm sheild is that while he is supposed to die in the end a canny opponent with problably realize that a kill point isn't worth the life of their vulkan and will problably shoot you with some kind plasma, melta, las, or wraithcannon and cost you 60 point model. If you have a storm shield however the wolf will have to be shot a whole lot more to die drawing more of your opponents fire for a non kill point model
    Last edited by crazyzombie; 10-03-2009 at 11:32 PM.

Brother-Captain

Termie Armor, Chainfist, Storm Shield, 2 puppies. Run him forward and smash. If they shoot him, good, he's supposed to get killed.

im running two lone wolves both in termie armour, one with wolf claws and meltabombs and the other with a chainfist and a combimelta

my most beloved modell in the wolf dex:

lone wolf with meltabombs.

hes is as resilent as a 4man marine squat against small arms fire and costs allmost nothing (25pts). his main idea is to annoy the hell outa the oponents tanks. if he has good run rolls he can reach enemy shooty tanks in turn 4, transporters as soon as turn 1 (if he goes first and boosts forward).

if he dies... he has earned his points in firepower spent. if he doesnt die he causes a lot of pain (try pinning down those 5 man combat squads running for the objective into cc. without a pwoerfist he wont die anytime soon )

only problem is that each of them eats a Elite slot!

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Xas View Post
    hes is as resilent as a 4man marine squat against...
    umm um um ummm you said a naughty word...

i'll let you off because it was a typo

these lone wolves seem tough, maybe I won't sell my wolves
    Conscription in the Lucky 88th
    http://lucky88th.blogspot.com

40 points of Wulfen fun.

Most of the time they will be a speed bump but thats what they are good at.

Storm Shield and a Powerfist for my LW. He's like Cap. America in PA

if you want to max the number of kills try MotW and Melta Bombs. When going after T5 or MC's you end up with 8 attacks possible(D6+1 +1 for charging). Considering you reroll any to hits you have a very good chance of killing what your going after. When going after Walkers you use the Melta Bombs. It may only be one attack but when you get to reroll the to hit of a S8+2D6 attack you pretty much make sure to kill the walker.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast