BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default To kill a large Havoc unit

My buddy uses a 15 model Havoc squad w/4 lascannon and mark of Stinky. I know what your thinking...expensive! My thoughts too, but psychologically a funny thing happens during a game, while you hunt for easier targets to kill, that non trendy Havoc unit is tareing stuff up! 4 Lascannons sitting still w/lots of bolters shifting around protecting the unit's flanks is effective. God does this unit get a high % of explosions. Grrr.

My 1st test to crack this nut was a non-jump-pack blood angel assault squad in a rhino. Just to distract the Havoc's fire and shut them up with hth. The rhino got exploded. I didn't mind, he should have fired at a better target. Knowing adjustments would be made, I needed to stay ahead of this. Jump-packs can assault sooner, but my buddy is a Lash of Submission addict, so...you see where that is going.

My solution. A 10 man tactical squad w/heavy bolter, flamer and serg w/power sword, B pistol; joined by 2 Librarian (double force, neither is the warlord) both w/force sword, bolt pistol, The Avenger and Gate of Infinity mounted in a drop-pod.

The drop-pod comes in auto 1st turn. It can be placed very aggro because of the built in gear. The 6" disembarkation lets you get in to good positions. Snap fire the Heavy B, roll 15 bolt shots, place flamer template and hopefully...successfully cast both The Avenger powers. Havoc squad can be very, very dead!

Now, your unit is in a isolated position. They may not survive, but, what plans your opp had, just went up in smoke. Everytime they look at the table, all they can see is your unit in their zone. Vanilla marines have Combat Tactics, use it!

1st chance you get one of the libbies can use Gate of Infinity to extract this unit from certain death. 415pts. + it is very fun!

My question is this: Can both Librarians use there Gate of Infinity at the begining of the same turn? Making two 24" teleports with the same squad!

Brother-Sergeant

I would say no, pg 57 of the Codex says "This power is used at the beginning of the Librarian's Movement phase." Once the unit moves with the first jump the second Librarian can't cast because it is no longer at the beginning of his movement phase.

Veteran-Sergeant

if a librarian uses a drop pod it doesnt generate warp charges on the first turn. i used to pull this tactic in 5th by dropping to librarians with gates and vortex of doom, both epistolaries.
    but yes this tactic uses the right stuff to deal with the havocs. maybe take a master of the forge and place it far enough away with a conversion beamer to take out large chunks of that squad at once. this will let you kill them off with supporting units.

or stay away from using armor

Quote Originally Posted by apahllo View Post
    if a librarian uses a drop pod it doesnt generate warp charges on the first turn.
    I believe this is absolutely wrong. So far I have not been able to find any thing that supports this statement. Looked at Deep Strike, Generating Warp Charge, 6th Space Marines FAQ and the codex Drop Pod rules. Sorry buddy, but it is a silly idea that a psycher isn't a psycher just because he used a drop pod.

I will however give the conversion beamer some thought. The only problem is my other support units are tied up destroying his other two heavy units supported by the rest of my force on tunrs 1 and 2. That is the main reason why I turned to the combo explained up top. That and the combo gets the job done a lot faster, while popping their power armor with ap3 and denying cover...

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Bellumvinco View Post
    I believe this is absolutely wrong. So far I have not been able to find any thing that supports this statement. Looked at Deep Strike, Generating Warp Charge, 6th Space Marines FAQ and the codex Drop Pod rules. Sorry buddy, but it is a silly idea that a psycher isn't a psycher just because he used a drop pod.

I will however give the conversion beamer some thought. The only problem is my other support units are tied up destroying his other two heavy units supported by the rest of my force on tunrs 1 and 2. That is the main reason why I turned to the combo explained up top. That and the combo gets the job done a lot faster, while popping their power armor with ap3 and denying cover...
    Lol, ya I wish I was wrong but my local gw shop has ruled it so. (not saying my word is law, it's just the way I've been playing). I'm calling gw support tomorrow, to make sure.

Your right!!!!!!! Just can't do spells in the movement phase!!!!!!

Holy flying librarian of doom I'm glad I just reread that page. I love being wrong when I was holding myself back.

"on a turn that a psyker arrives from reserves (see pg124) he cannot attempt to manifest any psychic powers that must be manifested at the start of the movement phase"

This is dope.

Veteran-Sergeant

My reasoning was that you can't generate warp charges in reserves. But I guess you can.

Chapter-Master

Drop Pod, Sternguard, Combi-plasma or Combi-flamers. Done.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Bellumvinco View Post
    My solution. A 10 man tactical squad, joined by 2 Librarian, mounted in a drop-pod.
    I thought drop pods could only hold 10 models, not 12
    Read this www.scribd.com/doc/123508033/Warhammer-40-000-6th-Edition-Codex-Adeptus-Aribites Then fill this out www.surveymonkey.com/s/LCFWXNV thanks

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by heretic marine View Post
    I thought drop pods could only hold 10 models, not 12
    Gotta love Matt ward

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by apahllo View Post
    Gotta love Matt ward
    wait............. am I missing something here?
    Read this www.scribd.com/doc/123508033/Warhammer-40-000-6th-Edition-Codex-Adeptus-Aribites Then fill this out www.surveymonkey.com/s/LCFWXNV thanks

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast