BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 40 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Librarian

The orks were outnumbered, especially in points in "Assault on Black Reach". This new box set - Dark Vengeance seems just as unbalanced in the marines favour.

2 units of 10 cultists with little in the way of weapons upgrades, a small 6 man unit of chosen with mostly close combat options, a Hell Brute - possible Monstrous creature similar to a dread knight or a new sort of dreadnought, and a Chaos Lord. This force would give you about 600 points worth.

The Dark Angels do not have a second troop choice. If you use the force as 2 x 5 man squads, the Plasma Cannon, can not be purchased normally. The 3 lords, or options to make 3 possible lords give the marines more flexibility in HQs, and the 5 terminators can usually handle problems like a monstrous creature. The 3 bikes brings the points above the Chaos forces total. Unless the HQ choice makes the Bikers a troop choice, the force would be illegal. I estimate about 750 points for the Marines.

The small rule book, templates, objective markers, tape measure (or measuring sticks), dice, and miniatures are a decent way to start a person off, and as usual gives heaps of reasons for a person to want to collect more things to fill, or in the case of the Chaos, flesh the army out. I am going to buy it just for the rule book, and expand my chaos forces.

I have already planned to swap the Dark Angel miniatures with 2 friends of mine who collect Loyalist Space marines (PLAARGH), sorry had to spit the vile loyalist words out then. Arrgh I said it again. Bless me oh Slaanesh lord of all that is perfect, and true --------- goes off chanting to herself. Seriously though,

I would have included only 1 Cultist squad of 20 with options for close combat weapon and pistol and/or autoguns, and then added a unit of 10 chaos marines with a missile launcher and flamer, an aspiring champion with power axe. I would have given the space marines a second squad of 5 marines with a flamer and standard sergeant to add to the full squad of 10 they include in the box set. I would pay a little more for the set, if I knew I could make a legal force that had a bit more tactical flexibility, and had the basics for the normal FOC. I know a lot of people would not know any better, or care about part of the force not meeting the minimum FOC requirements. They like me are planning to swap miniatures anyway, and will get the required 2 troops units easily. It is just something I would do when designing a beginners box set. Plus adding in the extra miniatures makes the set more balanced.
    The world is Chaotic, so why not join the party. Slaanesh welcomes you with open arms. Certa Cito

I want the Chaos stuff to paint up as Tzeentch.

We'll likely do box swapping on day of release, so I'll get all that I want from this box.

Didn't AoBR also only have 1 unit of Marines?
    Red like roses, fills my dreams and brings me to the place where you rest...

Librarian

I thought it had a unit of 5 and a unit of 10, plus termies, dreadnought and lord. I never bought the set myself because I did not want to do orks or the imperialist lackeys. The local GW shop always had more miniatures on the intro table anyway, so I never really knew what it started with. They had 10 assault marines and a second squad of 5 termies (close combat though) on the side.

If the set were aligned as this is to the true gods, then I might have been tempted to buy it.
    The world is Chaotic, so why not join the party. Slaanesh welcomes you with open arms. Certa Cito

Only 10 of the vile Imperials.
    Glory to Chaos!

Occuli Imperator

It had just a 10 man squad, 5 terminators, dreadnought, and captain.

I got the box for the ork coptas!
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Chapter-Master

Your listing up above also missed the Libby and Chaplain for the marines...cos 3 HQ choices are fun, unless 1 is an upgrade character. I estimate in terms of points Chaos is outnuymbered nearly 2 to 1.

The cultists with autoguns and a heavy stubber sound like a great Necromunda conversion waiting to happen. I'm going to get the box, sell off the uncool models (by the sounds of it, jsut the bikes) and keep the rest as allies or painting + modelling projects
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

Sounds like you get a lot more in it as well. Which is good.

AoBR was kinda bad.

cool

Nothing particularly new there, except the presence of a chaplain which directly contradicts the leaked starter set documents that came from the chinese printers recently.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    Nothing particularly new there, except the presence of a chaplain which directly contradicts the leaked starter set documents that came from the chinese printers recently.
    Unless he gets released separately, kinda like Prince Althran and Warlord Spinetail.

Page 2 of 40 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast