BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post
    Why would Paladins or other Deathstars run away from the enemy? They're deathstars. Killing everything else is what they do. You don't have to be aggressive once you've got the relic, but you don't have to make any special effort to run, either. And you can still use the rest of your army to screen the deathstar to prevent your opponent from pulling off a coordinated charge, which is one of the few things that can really threaten a deathstar unit.
    My Doomsday Ark begs to differ. As does the horrendous amount of firepower my Necrons can kick out overall. Me, in Relic I just approach the objective and defend it as I would any other. Seems to be working so far!
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master

There's an interesting battle report from Frontline Games on the necron flying circus vs driagowing. The flyers, even the doomsday arks, couldn't kill all the paladins, so driago won despite not killing a single necron the whole game.

Regardless, scoring deathstars have a huge advantage in the Relic.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Veteran-Sergeant

Does anyone ever use the IG list of 3 squads of 3 Hydra Flak Tanks against Necron Flying circus list? I think it should be very easy to take out those flyers.

Chapter-Master

Except hydras suck against non-flyers, so who's going to take it.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

unbalanced?

not really.

they only feel unbalalanced if the army is built to do just one job.

nob bikers? one trick pony build. same goes for draigowing. same goes for venom spam. same goes for MSU.

but when there's a balanced list, it changes. it feels more level.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Nutsy View Post
    unbalanced?

not really.

they only feel unbalalanced if the army is built to do just one job.

nob bikers? one trick pony build. same goes for draigowing. same goes for venom spam. same goes for MSU.

but when there's a balanced list, it changes. it feels more level.
    Unfortunately, How often do you see balanced lists at tournaments? Which is why the OP was thinking the book missions are inappropriate for tournament use.

Still, as has been said, if they have a massive advantage in one mission but get screwed over in another, you would hope it balances out somewhat.
    Always thinking 2 projects ahead of anything I've yet to finish
    http://instinctuimperator.blogspot.co.uk/

Librarian

I didn't say the missions were the problem i was saying the army lists are.

Chapter-Master

This is what happens when I post something from remembering what I thouhgt I read, without rereading it!

Lesson learnt hopefully, and I apologise
    Always thinking 2 projects ahead of anything I've yet to finish
    http://instinctuimperator.blogspot.co.uk/

Librarian

Well the post is in relation to the thoughts from the first GT so you are in some ways correct, but i think that balanced lists will be the best thing once we get 6th codex starting to come out.

Quote Originally Posted by SotonShades View Post
    Unfortunately, How often do you see balanced lists at tournaments? Which is why the OP was thinking the book missions are inappropriate for tournament use.
    almost never. but that's part of my point. lopsided builds are being used for new missions and the players are looking at the missions saying 'it's unbalanced!' instead of looking at their builds.

Still, as has been said, if they have a massive advantage in one mission but get screwed over in another, you would hope it balances out somewhat.
    that's just a symptom of a lopsided build.

think of it this way. If you were to build a car, for time attack races right. You'd have it geared in such a way that it promotes acceleration above all else. Now you take that car to a superspeedway, which is a giant oval (promotes high speed), and according to the logic of the OP, the superspeedway is "unbalanced".

BUT: if you take a car that's been balanced for speed/acceleration and suddenly, that superspeedway doesn't seem like such an uphill battle. And it's a car that can go on a variety of tracks and do reasonably well. Just like if you took a list that consisted of fast attack, troops, some elites and heavy support.. instead of a spam list. You'd do MUCH better and it would feel more "balanced".

so, it's not the mission. it's his list.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast