BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Librarian

Default 40K Book Missions unbalanced?

Im posting here as disqus isn't working for me, but in the notes from the first GT post on the home page, Reecius, stated that he thought the missions in the new rulebook, where unbalanced.

He used the example where his nob biker army played relic, he had a significant speed advantage and won, however he continued on saying taking a death star unit in kill points means you will struggle.

Am i the only one that feels that this can only suggest the missions are extremely balanced and you should take an all rounder list rather than taking what was deemed a powerful list last edition?

Quote Originally Posted by lattd View Post
    Im posting here as disqus isn't working for me, but in the notes from the first GT post on the home page, Reecius, stated that he thought the missions in the new rulebook, where unbalanced.

He used the example where his nob biker army played relic, he had a significant speed advantage and won, however he continued on saying taking a death star unit in kill points means you will struggle.

Am i the only one that feels that this can only suggest the missions are extremely balanced and you should take an all rounder list rather than taking what was deemed a powerful list last edition?
    Nah. When you hold the relic, you can only move 6"
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master

I think they are balenced. Lets face it a massive Nob Biker group is going to be pretty hard in any of the game types so why would one mission be any different?

They're much less effective in one game type than another. For instance you could play the scouring, and have some really good FA slots, where your opponent has none. And seeing as you only have a 1 in 6 chance of a particular game.

Don't see how its that different to 5th. In DoW a Nob Biker group could be on your board edge in turn 1.
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

Chapter-Master

I think to some extent it depands on how the TO's organise the missions. If, over the course of the weekend, you play 6 games, you should play all 6 missions, IMO. If you know this will be the case, you plan how you'd try to win each mission against different opponants and set ups as well as taking an army list that can do well in all. Yes, at times there are going to be situations where one army will have an extreme advantage over the opponant in certain missions. Odds are though, that same army will often have a massive disadvantasge in other missions. If not, then it is a very well written list that keeps coming up against poorly written ones. One could even be so callous to say that we all have access to the same Codicies and can potentially write the same army list if we wanted. There for it is the opponants fault for not taking a more suited list. Not saying that is my opinion, as we don't all have unlimited budgets and the ability to build up a new army for each tourny, just that you could take that view!

If TO's roll for the mission each time and could potentially have the same mission coming up multiple times, that would create an unfair advantage. But the same has always been true with the rulebook missions. From what I've seen/read/heard, most of the missions written by TO's to be fairer/more balanced tend to still favour certain army builds, often influenced by the meta of their local group when writing them, even with layered objectives. There have always been ways to play around bad match ups. THAT is where being a good General and out playing your opponant comes in, which is what should make the difference between the guys who win and those who don't.
    Always thinking 2 projects ahead of anything I've yet to finish
    http://instinctuimperator.blogspot.co.uk/

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    Nah. When you hold the relic, you can only move 6"
    Doesn't matter. The biker, grab the objective turn 1, then laugh as the opponent vainly tries to get it back. Driagowing does the same, just by Scouting the Paladins turn 1.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Chapter-Master

And Paladins are even harder. Rules say 6" per phase.

Paladins can run as well and get it even further away faster

Quote Originally Posted by DrLove42 View Post

That's still a single unit that's just painted a target on itself. Bit of tactical reserving, and you can deep strike a counter unit. Ways and means.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master

OPH yeah like I said before its just tactics.

In some ways if you withdraw the relic into your zone, it makes it harder for you

Its like playing Capture and control, 1 obj each, except the enemy doesn't have to try and defend their own

Quote Originally Posted by DrLove42 View Post

Except that the Relic rules says that you're not allowed to run while holding the Relic, so that option is out. No running with the relic kids, you might drop and break it!

Chapter-Master

Why would Paladins or other Deathstars run away from the enemy? They're deathstars. Killing everything else is what they do. You don't have to be aggressive once you've got the relic, but you don't have to make any special effort to run, either. And you can still use the rest of your army to screen the deathstar to prevent your opponent from pulling off a coordinated charge, which is one of the few things that can really threaten a deathstar unit.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast