BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Chapter-Master

I enjoyed it.

Just so many gorram countries, and the presenters realy didn't know what to say about them

Could have done without the Arctic Monkeys and (unfortunatly) Sir Macca. Not his best performance
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by wittdooley View Post
    I actually disagree. I think this one was really great to watch and I think the setting of it was just lovely. I think the hill with all the flags is a great addition. Further, china spent like, 3 times as much as anyone else ever has. Q
    China spent more on fireworks than we have on the whole ceremony, if I recall correctly.

Watching it live at a cinema screen was phenomonal! Especially as it was free. It was deffinitely spectacular, but in a verey different way to the way Bejing was "a spectacular".

I loved the stories woven in to the whole thing and the celebration of Great Britain; including some of the uglier bits of our last two hundred years.

I gotta say as well, I thought my chest was going to explode when the Union Flag was raised and the national anthem played, my heart was swelling with pride so much.
    Always thinking 2 projects ahead of anything I've yet to finish
    http://instinctuimperator.blogspot.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by ragnarcissist View Post
    just awful.... boring as hell and not nearly as memorable as chinas. leave it to the brits to dull it up. oh an whats up with the queen? she looks pissssseddd
    Liz is 80 odd years old, of course she looks pissed Give her a break...........
    To a New Yorker like you a hero is some kinda weird sandwich, not some nut who takes on three Tigers!

Corrrection, she is 80 odd years old and hasn't had a day off since 1953.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by SotonShades View Post
    China spent more on fireworks than we have on the whole ceremony, if I recall correctly.

Watching it live at a cinema screen was phenomonal! Especially as it was free. It was deffinitely spectacular, but in a verey different way to the way Bejing was "a spectacular".

I loved the stories woven in to the whole thing and the celebration of Great Britain; including some of the uglier bits of our last two hundred years.

I gotta say as well, I thought my chest was going to explode when the Union Flag was raised and the national anthem played, my heart was swelling with pride so much.
    Don't forget the Chinese has a slave army of a billion people to help prepare and perform in it as well!

I dipped in and out (will watch the whole thing on Iplayer later) but it seemed pretty good to me. It achieved the aim of being uniquely British and I think having the young athletes light the torch was genius. No one saw that coming. I have to say that whilst China's was a massive spectacle, it lacked soul and heart. The British may have been quirky and not everyone will have got all of it, but it celebrated the British identity perfectly and showed it off to the world. I expect Rio will go down a similar route rather than the sheer spectacle of China. Appointing one of our best film directors to do this was a master stroke, I don't think anyone could have done it better.

Anyone interested in reaction from the rest of the world should check out these articles: [url]http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19025686[/url]
    [url]http://news.sky.com/story/966116/olympics-opening-ceremony-a-hit-around-globe[/url]
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

First-Captain

I liked Voldermort, Professor Lockheart and James Bond with the Queen.
    The rest I found hard to watch. It was weird, disjointed bobbins.
    That money could have done so much good elsewhere.
    The word on the street does seem to be whole heartedly positive though. I just can not work out why!?

Veteran-Sergeant

yeah i made that post a bit premature... then Mr. Bean made an appearance and i was thrilled and the whole event was saved, been a favorite of mine since i was a wee lad. greatest brit to ever live.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by ragnarcissist View Post
    yeah i made that post a bit premature... then Mr. Bean made an appearance and i was thrilled and the whole event was saved, been a favorite of mine since i was a wee lad. greatest brit to ever live.
    Catch yourself on big man.
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Chapter-Master

Missed the first 20mins or so, but they had it on in the pub so saw the rest,

The NHS part was IMO a mistake.
    Since when have they made steel in London?
    Paul Macartney is over the hill and embarrassing,
    Loved the bit with the queen but they could have had a James Bond rather than a bourne wannabe,
    Didn't quite understand why they played a load of american hiphop sh!t and overlooked the British invented Heavy metal, and think something like the trooper would have worked far better than the artless monkees...

But thank f*** they got the flag the right way up
    Last edited by Psychosplodge; 07-30-2012 at 02:20 AM.

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

I didn't watch it at all. Sue me Britain!
    Red like roses, fills my dreams and brings me to the place where you rest...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast