BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default Psykers for Anti-aircraft?

I am just musing something while at work (so no rule book to hand)... and anyway, BOLS opinions on this would always be welcome...

I am in the processes of some minor updating my IG hoard list for 6th...
    I have an aegis battle line with a quad gun already; but ideally would like a bit more AA as it is likely that with my gaming group someone will soon be fielding 3x flyers...

One way I could do this is with Vendettas... but this is £-expensive, I don't really like painting vehicles etc...

Another thought I had was 'can I use either a primaris psyker* or an allied-SM libby** in such a way that they could do some consistent/effective anti-aircraft defence'?

*have already decided I am going to buy some empire wizards for conversion for this

** I am going to be getting the new boxed set anyway for the little rule book etc, cultists to turn into necromunda gangers etc, so if I could use some of it's contents for AA that would save me a bunch of cash

Chapter-Master

Problem they all have is they need 6's to hit.

If you're a guard player why not use some Hydras? If you don't want to spring for the FW ones, use a quad gun on a chimera.

Some powers might be helpful (like the Telepathy one that lets you shoot the enemies weapons). But generalyl few of the powers are actually useful against fliers
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by DrLove42 View Post
    Problem they all have is they need 6's to hit.

If you're a guard player why not use some Hydras? If you don't want to spring for the FW ones, use a quad gun on a chimera.

Some powers might be helpful (like the Telepathy one that lets you shoot the enemies weapons). But generalyl few of the powers are actually useful against fliers
    Oh well...

Hydras unfortuantly are 'tanks' and I want to keep the list tank-free...

You play Guard, but shun all usage of tanks. Seriously. Like, you're not even kidding about this. Guard, no tanks. You repulse me on so many levels. Just what, why, I don't even...

No but seriously, as cool as your all infantry thing is, don't waste time and points on psykers for anti-aircraft. There's no point and you're not going to have fun trying it. Unless you're a masochist and you enjoy suffering for a whole game trying to deal with psykers hitting flyers. Maybe that is your thing considering your shunning of tanks in the Guard... Though you really should be taking the right tool for the job (which in this case is a Hydra even if it is a tank, get over it, you're supposed to be a general not an idealist), you will probably just have to wait until the Flakk Missile upgrade becomes available for Missile Launchers, which you will be able to take lots of in Heavy Weapon Teams. I'm only speculating of course, but it seems the reasonable course of action that will probably come about in a White Dwarf. Until then, Hydras or suffer unpredictable Psykers.

All-infantry Guard. Just bring 20 some odd lascannons, and give them the order to be twin-linked. Seriously, I built a 1500 point Artillery army with 6 tanks that still shouldered ~12 lascannons. Without the tanks, use More Lascannons.

Lascannons hurt even the toughest fliers 2/3 of the time, penning them 1/2 the time. 1/2 of those pens kill. That's 24 lascannons per kill, or 18 if two squads of three lascannons get twin linked. You can shove at least 35 Lascannons in 1500, so that's a flyer and a half a turn, about, and will demolish any ground-based vehicles. Still a Lot of Shots against hordes, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Cursed13 View Post
    You play Guard, but shun all usage of tanks. Seriously. Like, you're not even kidding about this. Guard, no tanks. You repulse me on so many levels. Just what, why, I don't even....
    But fielding 130ish bases of squishy troops is fun
    especially when my 105pt squad of lascannons pops 250pt landraiders on the 1st turn

I agree on the futility of trying to get 1 model to do something with hit at BS1, regardless of how strong the shooting is... i just wondered if there were any cool powers for antiflyering... I guess not...

Quote Originally Posted by ForsakenImp View Post
    All-infantry Guard. Just bring 20 some odd lascannons, and give them the order to be twin-linked. Seriously, I built a 1500 point Artillery army with 6 tanks that still shouldered ~12 lascannons. Without the tanks, use More Lascannons.

Lascannons hurt even the toughest fliers 2/3 of the time, penning them 1/2 the time. 1/2 of those pens kill. That's 24 lascannons per kill, or 18 if two squads of three lascannons get twin linked. You can shove at least 35 Lascannons in 1500, so that's a flyer and a half a turn, about, and will demolish any ground-based vehicles. Still a Lot of Shots against hordes, too.

Good points I agree, but I think over-playing the number of lascannons means you don't really have enough points left to make some large blobs with melta/plasma/power weapons... and in my experience if lascannons get shot at with any sort of focus the fact that they are little units of normal guards men with no commisars mean they tend to run away alot leaving not much left on the table ... but that is a discussion for another time

Just thinking aloud I don't think I will have to have my pskyers doing any AA... if the bad guys have 3 fliers, say 2 turn up in 2nd turn... so max 2 to kill a turn... After some quick sums I think even with Jinking etc I should be able to cope with that with the lascannons, autocannons, multilasers etc I have already... Maybe I will need to move my focus completely on to the flyers for a turn, and that will mean the rest of my opponents force can do some damage but I will just have to wait and see :-) (I hate that :-) )
    Last edited by sneakyben; 07-26-2012 at 07:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cursed13 View Post
    You play Guard, but shun all usage of tanks. Seriously. Like, you're not even kidding about this. Guard, no tanks. You repulse me on so many levels. Just what, why, I don't even...
    I also shun the usage of Tanks, but Chimera's are APC and therefore are not tanks.

My 2000 point Imperial Guard force currently has 190 models in it of those only four are Chimera's.

Imperial Guard have so many things that can deal with Flyers.

Since the best way to deal with them outside of things with Skyfire is volume of fire.

This the Imperial Guard can provide.

Auto Cannons
    Multi-Lasers
    Missile Launchers
    Las Cannons
    Plasma Guns
    Melta Guns
    Grenade Launchers

Which Imperial Guard can provide in large numbers with ease.

I would actually go with Auto Cannons since you get two shots were as the Las Cannon only gets the one.

True the Las Cannon can pen easier but unless you roll high all you will do is put a glance onto the flyer.

So what you want to do is work for the Glances and the Auto Cannon is better for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sainhann View Post
    volume of fire.

This the Imperial Guard can provide.

Auto Cannons
    Multi-Lasers
    Missile Launchers
    Las Cannons
    Plasma Guns
    Melta Guns
    Grenade Launchers

Which Imperial Guard can provide in large numbers with ease.
    Of those, I can typically field @1500 6 autocannons, 12 lascanon, 2 multilasers, 3ish plasmaguns, 3ish meltas, some plasma pistols and a Quad gun

Based on what I have read here, I am now thinking this is enough... until proven otherwise anyway

Thanks for the feedback and advice on this everyone!

what about allies ?