BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Brother-Sergeant

Default Thoughts on 6th ed rule book

I've been going over both the rules and background sections of the 6th Ed 40k rule book and I'm thinking it's pretty awesome. Not a fan of random charge, but otherwise this thing is a beast. It's like I bought a collector's edition even though it's just straight off the self.

What do other people think of it? That's rules wise, layout, content etc. It's rare I've gotten 40k stuff that actually seems worth its crazy price so just curious if it's just me or other people like it too.

Librarian

I actually do not mind random charges, it has been really intersting. It has screwed me over for an assault now and again, but overall no biggie. My only two gripes are that MC's lost the extra armour penetration, and fleet doesn't let me run and assualt, but even then those are only minor. Overall all my games have been fun, the cool new building rules and mysterious terrain and all that good stuff, it is just fabulous.

There are a few awkward rules, but overall the new edition has really breathed new life into the game for me.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v506/rlocke2/551391_4297044038379_634463020_n.jpg

Occuli Imperator

On the whole I like it. I like how it is shaken everything up and re-vitalised peoples playing. We are in a fresh and exciting time where the optimal net list isn't out there and with the re-release of codecii over the next few years we are getting something fresh and a spot light on the new "great and good".
    As for the actual book itself I do like it, there are some minor errors in it rapis fire but how many people actually spotted it before it was announced and people then started to actively look for it. I do really like the big fold out pages, it is like the ones from the Apocalypse book only done better.
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Brother-Sergeant

I like the fold outs as well. Some of the art in this book is pretty amazing. I also like the fleshing out of the background and the shear amount of content. So many pages of fluff!

I've only played a tiny game so far, but I'll be doing more over the coming months. It's very encouraging to hear such positive feedback.

Librarian

Loving the rules, myself. There's problems, of course (the much-loathed LoS abuse, etc), but there's a ton of scope here for different sorts of battles.

As for the book itself? Eh. It's...really big? It has a lot of things in it? There's exceptions, but the new art strikes me as lackluster, especially those full-page section introductions showing a single Marine, which manage to be cartoonish without anything in the way of style or pizazz. The background, like anything that comes from the Studio these days, varies between mediocre and unreadable. The definite bright spot, though, is the modeling/hobby section, which shows off some fantastic conversions, including a jaw-dropping Striking Scorpion Wraithlord. It's almost worth the price of admission all on its lonesome.

Overall, it's not much worse than 4th or 5th Edition as a book (the rules are much better), but it's a book without much spirit or vision to it. When you compare it to the sort of things GW used to be able to produce, tho - like the amazing 3rd Edition rulebook - it falls pretty flat.

Default 6th Ed. (New Rules)

Still trying to read through all the changes but overall I haven't found anything I am not liking. The changes to vehicles (Hull Points) will be interesting to play out. Especially with super heavies with structure points. That seems to be easier to damage now with penetrating hits where before it took PH's to remove the structure points before it could actually be damaged (unless it was a destroyer type weapon).

Charges are interesting and I like the fact "Grenades" were brought back to be useful for other than affecting initiative in a charge. Overall I like the rule changes.

Chapter-Master

Overall, I think they took 5th and improved it in just about every way.

I don't like random charge length. Flyer rules are poorly implimented and balanced. Wound Allocation with Multiple Saves and Look Out Sir is very clumsy. Challenges vary between fun and extremely annoying. Some of the rulebook missions are very poorly balanced.

But aside from those specific items, 6th is better than 5th. And each of those problems could be fixed quite easily.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Battle-Brother

Did anyone else wonder if they were going to see a revealing picture of a Sister of Battle with the fold outs?

This is my first full size rule book, I started in January and since 6th was coming out I just got the AOBR mini rule book to hold me over. I must say, for the 50 bucks it cost me (local store cut the price 20 bucks), I think it's awesome. It's a nice solid book, it is laid out in a way that I can find what I'm looking for. Maybe some day I'll read the 100 pages of fluff, who knows. I play Necrons, so I love the changes to random assault, having Death Company not be able to reach my wraiths was very nice. Some of the art is beautiful, some of it isn't my style, but that's fine, art is supposed to be unique and I don't have to like everything.

I am happy with the book, and hope it gets lots of use before its replaced in 4-6 years.

Uglytater and I are in the same spot--I also started with things in January and waited for 6th to drop before getting into playing. I'm glad I waited, as the 6th edition rules are quite well-presented, and the rest of the book is hugely fun to read.

I love the random elements in the new rules set. It reflects the reality that on a battlefield, not everything goes according to plan and sometimes the terrain itself is a hindrance (or a help, in some cases). It introduces a blissfully chaotic element to a very structured system.

Ditto on the random psychic powers and warlord traits, which easily reflect the fact that sometimes intelligence about the other side is faulty, nonexistent, or purposely misleading. Sometimes you have to adapt quickly to unexpected conditions. Sometimes you show up with just the thing you need. Sometimes you're screwed.

Things like this are actually make the games both more realistic and more in line with the narrative aspect of the game. In terms of realism, it shows that no commander can absolutely control the battlefield or predict everything that will happen or be needed in a fight. On the narrative side, it reflects those moments of tension where a group of characters suddenly have to deal with changed and/or unanticipated conditions; maybe they win, or maybe they lose, but it adds flavor to the story.

Chapter-Master

Nothing about 40k is even remotely realistic, the randomness even more so. If you think random is realistic, then go ahead and try out [URL="http://www.frontlinegaming.org/2012/07/22/40k-humor-rumors-of-7th-edition/"]7th[/URL].

I mean, seriously, how does Outflank even make any sense? " 'Ok, guys, I want you to sneak around and outflank them'. 'Which way, sir?' 'I don't know, just flip a coin. Or better yet, roll a dice. But don't tell me which direction you're going, I like the suprise'."
    Last edited by DarkLink; 07-24-2012 at 02:49 PM.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast