BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 57
  1. #31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Defenestratus View Post
    There's a lot of great things to have come from that actually - its not all a bad thing
    What great things? From an app designers point of view Android apps take infinatly longer to create and debug than those for iOS. You have to cater for dozens of combinations of hardware and OS. Fragmentation is Androids Achilles heel, you can have 2 identicle devices and depending on your cellular provider or region you get a different OS version. If you want to make something fir the first time and it be fone cheaply, fast, and looks good you use iOS, and I'm far from being a fan boy of Apple.

  2. #32

    Default

    how does a different OS relate to anything? at the core, honeycomb and ice cream sandwich are the same. and it's the apps themselves that process and display the data files. If the app can read the data file, it can display it. the OS is irrelevant.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tetsugaku View Post
    This isn't true - I linked to categorical proof , wonder if anyone ever reads discussions or just cherry picks the bits they like

    how does any of the proof you linked to relate to what I said about apple?

  3. #33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Nutsy View Post
    how does any of the proof you linked to relate to what I said about apple?
    Because the question was:

    Quote Originally Posted by Defenestratus View Post
    Ugh ... so you can't browse their iBooks collection on the web?
    to which I answered:

    Quote Originally Posted by Tetsugaku View Post
    [url=http://itunes.apple.com/gb/artist/games-workshop/id536481148?mt=11&ign-mpt=uo%3D4%2522%2520target%253D%2522itunes_store%2 522%253EGames%2520Workshop]Luckily that's not true[/url]
    and you responded:

    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Nutsy View Post
    cmon Defenestratus, apple's way of doing things makes about as much sense as GW's way of doing things. you should know that by now.
    Therefore I concluded you didn;t bother to read what I said or look at the evidence I provided and were in fact happy enough with your existing opinions.

    It's things like this that create rumour mill crap, like all that rubbish about GW not owning the rights to use the old paint names any more. A lie repeated enough times becomes truth.

  4. #34

    Default

    the difference is, you focused on one thing, while I focused on all of apple's business practices. in other words, your conclusion is wrong.

    what you linked to was not categorical proof, but only one tree in the entire forest. you might also want to revise your comparison of the ipad versus the android tablets.
    Last edited by Uncle Nutsy; 07-15-2012 at 07:24 PM.

  5. #35

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Nutsy View Post
    in other words, your conclusion is wrong.
    And this is why I don't often visit the internet.


    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Nutsy View Post
    you might also want to revise your comparison of the ipad versus the android tablets.
    I will be, where it makes sense and where things I've presented can be better written using examples given to me by commentators here, other forums, my own blog and from GW themselves.

    Considering on Saturday I met the guys who wrote the iBooks version and had a chat to them about it I don;t think I'll be using any of your valuable input.

    -----

    Anyway - the next step is to write out an outline of potential services and features that would be in an html based subscription service, any ideas please get in touch with me via [url=http://www.tetsugaku.info]my blog[/url], I'll be posting up here and elsewhere for feedback when it's done but ideas earlier than that are super useful.

  6. #36
    Chapter-Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Cloudsdale, Equestria.
    Posts
    26,074

    Default

    Has anyone considered it could be as simple as some management type waved an ipad at the IT dept and said "make the codex for this" so they did literally what was asked...

    However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

  7. #37
    Occuli Imperator
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Mercia
    Posts
    18,062

    Default

    Reminded me of this: [URL="http://www.standardmedia.co.ke/?articleID=2000061637&story_title=San-Francisco-to-stop-buying-Macs"]http://www.standardmedia.co.ke/?articleID=2000061637&story_title=San-Francisco-to-stop-buying-Macs[/URL]
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

  8. #38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tetsugaku View Post
    Considering on Saturday I met the guys who wrote the iBooks version and had a chat to them about it I don;t think I'll be using any of your valuable input.
    the biggest flub I saw in your blog post is the fragmentation part. Comparing android devices to iPads/iPhones is simply terrible and i'll tell you why. Using devices that run the android OS to the devices that run apple's OS will lead to a one-sided conclusion. A better comparison would be using the Operating System and core hardware in each, since all models using either Honeycomb and Ice Cream sandwich (different android OS builds) will have to run on compatible (and controlled) hardware, much like the hardware in the iPad and iPhone (where the iPad is a larger version of the iPhone, but lacking cellular functionality).

    Apps that are on the android platform have to be able to run as bug-free as possible for it to work on that OS, much like Apps have to run as bug-free as possible. And those apps, regardless of what platform they are on, have to be able to display the data content included in the file that is loaded onto the platform (such as an eBook).

    If GW was to release their ebooks on the Android platform, they are free to choose the storefront that benefits them the most. They could release their ebooks through only one place, such as Google's app store if they so choose. They don't HAVE to release their books on EVERY storefront.

    Ease of purchase is only in the eyes of the account holder, and just about every app store either accepts only credit cards, or a compatible form of payment.

    The tablets that are running Honeycomb or Ice Cream sandwich also have a comparable screen that lends themselves to ebooks like interactive codexes. it all comes down to the app that runs them, not the platform.

    Piracy. Almost all platforms have some form of piracy, including iPhones and iPads. Thinking that only one platform has no piracy is quite simply.. naive and one-sided. And last i checked, [url=http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/is_app_piracy_higher_on_the_ipad.php]piracy is quite rampant on the ipad aswell [/url] I'm sorry to break it to you but, GW's digital products WILL be pirated. it's just a question of when.

    Cost to games workshop? you're comparing digital products with physical products, and stating apple's model is superior? did you not look into what any of the other estores' terms and conditions are?

    I do agree with using a secured HTML site that is open to every platform out there. It would be a better solution to the exclusive but restrictive model they are using now.
    Last edited by Uncle Nutsy; 07-16-2012 at 06:58 PM.

  9. #39
    Chapter-Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Cloudsdale, Equestria.
    Posts
    26,074

    Default

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1235251915887.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	115.4 KB 
ID:	2241

    How about this? What platform would allow GW to maintain the tightest control of it's IP than the fundamentally restrictive iOS?

    However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

  10. #40
    Occuli Imperator
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Mercia
    Posts
    18,062

    Default

    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •