BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Chaplain

Default Possible return of Cypher?

those with the rulebook turn to page 52 under the Pistol Weapons section

Quote Originally Posted by Warhammer 40k sixth edition
    Gunslinger
    All models with two pistols can fire both in the shooting phase. this follows the normal rules for shooting.

now back in 3rd edition Cypher (The Fallen Angel) had a similar rule known as Gunfighter;

Quote Originally Posted by Codex: Chaos Space Marines 3rd Edition
    Gunfighter
    Cypher is able to aim and fire a pistol in each hand. this enables him to fire two weapons in the shooting phase: once with his master-crafted bolt pistol and once with the master-crafted plasma pistol. if he remains stationary he may rapid fire the two pistols at the same time, letting him take four shots!

other then the last sentence in the Gunfighter rule, the rules are fairly similar and though i don't use any special characters i don't think there is any other special character who uses two different pistols (and not counted as twin-linked or has a different weapon profile). so could this mean that Cypher may indeed return?
    Step forth and be recognized.
    No mercy. No pity. No hope.

Possibly, though remember the rule is not made to benefit just Cypher. SoB Seraphims fight with two pistols and you can make wolf guards and vanguards with dual plasma pistols as well.

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Not to mention double hand flamer BA sergeants.

The idea of dropping 4 templates a turn was so awesome I had to have that in my list.

Chaplain

This has me a little bit psyched! I think I might start taking an Xenos Inquisitor with two Needle Pistols.

Two pistol shots that always wounds on a 2+ and AP 2? Yes please!

Chaplain

I did instantly think of Cypher when I saw that rule

Veteran-Sergeant
    That would make it too easy for the Imperial Assassins

It could. Probably just decided it wasn't worth the extra hassle since dropping rapid fire from pistols, and with the rules as they are not much can get two pistols unless GW intended for it to have two pistols, and if they intended for it to have two pistols, they probably intend to let them go gunslinger with them. Why bother with the old rule at all in that case? It'd just be silly to have a rule say "You can't fire both pistols" in the basic rulebook then override it every time in the codices. Just throw Gunslingers in the core rulebook and save the rule space in the codex.

- Imperial guard sergeants can take 2 bolt / plasma pistols /(same with commissars i believe)
    - Ursakar Creed has two hotshot laspistols in wargear entry (up until now being twinlinked, but i believe it will be errated to 2 shots)
    - Inquisitors can get 2 pistols (some of them atleast)
    - Inquisitor Valeria has two pistols (although another is one-shot)
    - etc..

So while Cypher is most likely the known gunslinger in the 40k, he is certainly not the only one

Initiate
    Kansas The most bigoted state in this union

I for one would be super glad for that.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Quaade View Post
    Possibly, though remember the rule is not made to benefit just Cypher. SoB Seraphims fight with two pistols and you can make wolf guards and vanguards with dual plasma pistols as well.
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure the WD SoB codex had a very simialr rule enabling Seraphim to fire both pistols, so I'm pretty sure it is more linked to that, in the same way that ATSKNF has become a universal special rule. I wouldn't read too much into the return of Cypher in this rule.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcard View Post
    - Imperial guard sergeants can take 2 bolt / plasma pistols /(same with commissars i believe)
    - Ursakar Creed has two hotshot laspistols in wargear entry (up until now being twinlinked, but i believe it will be errated to 2 shots)
    - Inquisitors can get 2 pistols (some of them atleast)
    - Inquisitor Valeria has two pistols (although another is one-shot)
    - etc..

So while Cypher is most likely the known gunslinger in the 40k, he is certainly not the only one
    You can't take two bolt pistols. The bolt pistol replaces the laspistol in the entry. You can have Plasma-Plasma, Plasma-Bolt, or Plasma-Las.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast