BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

"Power axe", "power lance" and "power sword" are now completely different and that is why on page 61 of the rulebook they have different entries.
    They are equal in costs. And its a wysiwyg thing as per rulebook. But, it is not stated anywhere that you need to use the stuff that comes with the sprues.

And there are units for armies that contain possiblities for certain different options..

For example, my Imperial Guard sergeants (and few platoon / company commanders) have been using wysiwyg powermauls and -axes for ages now..

Imo there is no point crying if a Imperial Guard Sergeant of Officer chooces to wield a maul of axe (or even spear) instead of sword..

Not unless it is explicitly stated in a faq that you cannot choose to glue weapons for models other than the ones that come in with the sprues with the said unit.

Wow, I'm shocked that people would complain that give IG Sarges axes would be anything other than logical and fair. Maybe shocked is too strong a word (complaining is one of the "inalienable rights" that people seem to feel they have), but any claim that this is somehow not legal or kosher is absurd and unsupported by any rule anywhere in any edition of 40K, and runs strongly against the grain of all modelling conversation generated by GW for decades.
    Integrity without knowledge is weak and useless, and knowledge without integrity is dangerous and dreadful. - Nathanael Greene

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by TSINI View Post
    Guard dont wield axes gadammit, only lumberjack guard (otherwise known as Canadian Shock Troopers)

I wonder what would look cooler as a counts as axe?
    Rulebook says that a halberd counts as an axe. So you could give your sergeants polearm weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by maverick935 View Post
    Isnt this thread nonsense? Having reread the rules you cannot choose to just have a power axe. I believe its "power weapon" is listed in the guard codex and not an "power axe" which is specifically stated in the 6E book as different . If guard could take/had power axes it would have been FAQ'd.
    Just shell out for that power fist!
    The Guard codex does use the generic "power weapon" terminology, which is explained in the BRB to mean "whatever the model is armed with" which may be a sword, maul, axe, or spear.

Also, in at least one of the 6th Edition FAQs, GW changed Codex listings of "power swords" into generic "power weapons", allowing for diversity of modelling.
    We Will Strike With The Arms Of Gods
    And Leave Nothing In Our Wake

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by dreadnaughtguy View Post
    and the cheesy beardy metagaming begins.
    Really? It's only just begun? What was all that crap that was going on before called then?!

Seriously though, I play Guard and won't be hacking models to pieces. If others want to do it let them. I think they're allowed to in the new rules and I don't think it particularly breaks them or gives them an undue advantage. Conversions and theme are a huge part of the hobby for me, so if you have a Guard Army whose Ceremonial/Honorific weapon is a spear then go for it, I'm sure it would look cool. BUT, please use the same weapon throughout your entire army, not mix and match so you have all combos possible- that just takes the p**s!

Why not? Anytime the "power weapon" option comes up, you're allowed to choose any of the varieties. This guy is modeled with an axe... that one has a maul... it's all kosher

Veteran-Sergeant

I'm not saying it isn't, what I'm saying is that people shouldn't claim theme or fluff if they're just doing it to gain an advantage in the game. I can't see it making a lot of difference as those that can take them will probably get called out in a challenge!

I'm not saying it isn't, what I'm saying is that people shouldn't claim theme or fluff if they're just doing it to gain an advantage in the game. I can't see it making a lot of difference as those that can take them will probably get called out in a challenge!
    Imperial guard platoon:

- 45 basic guardsmen with either lasgun or special weapon
    - 5 sergeants, each with the ability to take up to two power weapons (like axe + spear combo as mentioned before)
    - 5 Commissars with same options as sergeants.

Thats total of 10 characters with 2x power weapons each (of any kind - to any situation)

So, to the actual point: Challenge one, and you still got 9 to go against the rest of the enemy.

Veteran-Sergeant

Oh man, if you want to sink that many points into a single unit then do it. Any player worth their salt will then
    A) blast and template you to death
    B)look at where your characters are and assault you from the opposite side, nullifying most of your Power Weapons
    Take out your characters one by one in challenges as the rest of them pile in 3" per phase. Chances are you're going to lose combat initially, possibly fail the morale check and lose another character to Commissar execution. Then when the characters with PW's get close, you throw another unit at them to spread them out again! I you're a SM player and you do get bogged down and lose a combat, you choose to fail your morale check and hit them with templates and blast again. Job done! (and I'm a guard player too)

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by EnglishInquisition View Post
    A) blast and template you to death
    And get counter-charged by the other sixty guardsmen that the flamers didn't kill.

B)look at where your characters are and assault you from the opposite side, nullifying most of your Power Weapons
    Any guard player with a brain can counter this. It's much easier to shuffle around models in the unit than it is to plan multiple turns in advance in order to outflank and assault a unit from an unusual angle.

Take out your characters one by one in challenges as the rest of them pile in 3" per phase.
    One challenge per turn means it takes five or six turns to kill all the characters. That still gives the guard player a lot of attacks over multiple turns with power weapons.

Chances are you're going to lose combat initially, possibly fail the morale check and lose another character to Commissar execution.
    At stubborn ld 10? A smart player will take those odds.

Not saying that blob squads are unbeatable, but they are a nasty unit for most armies.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Veteran-Sergeant

Most armies get some kind of large blast template now. Normally high strength (well higher than T3)!with suitably mid range AP. Sit back a drop templates on a 50 man squad- 6 or 7 dead per template? Spread out? Great- now you can't manoeuvre, block all your other units. Dropping template after template on large units is fun, Sgt's and Commissars will die just as quickly as other Guardsmen as casualties are removed closest to the firer. Clump up your characters- fine, that allows me to avoid them easier! Guard blobs look scary but have huge drawbacks. Yes I understand they have their uses, but sink a whole load of points into them if you want- they're not unbeatable by any means.

This edition I think you'll find that we're all going to have to start thinking a couple of turns ahead.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123