BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Brother-Captain

Nice of GW to be doing this, but damn they're slow when it comes to technology.
    Armies Played (in order of acquisition)
    Crons, SW, SM, Tau, 1k Sons, IG, Nids, BA, DE

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Kawauso View Post
    Nice of GW to be doing this, but damn they're slow when it comes to technology.
    Very true. They are... which really doesn't bode well for 3D printing and their response too it.
    Either there is life in the universe more intelligent than us, or we are the most intelligent form of life in the universe. Either way, it's a worrying thought!

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by gendoikari87 View Post
    WTF is the point to an iPad? It seems like it's a cross between a smart phone and a lap top while doing neither job well.
    You mean besides:

Mobile web browsing
    Mobile movie watching
    PDF storage and viewing
    Video Conferencing
    Mobile presentations
    Mobile Boardgaming

I could go on.

We use ours all the time. My boss uses his almost exclusively for his business interactions.

Also:
    [url]http://www.pcworld.com/article/256625/apples_ipad_will_be_more_popular_than_pcs_in_2020. html[/url]

I'd wager this is also a primary reason to go with iOS first as it is already has a deeper market penetration for tablets.

www.queencityguard.com

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Brakkart View Post
    Very true. They are... which really doesn't bode well for 3D printing and their response too it.
    I'm not sure they need to have a response to that.

It's no different from people sculpting things out of green stuff and creating resin or pewter casts based off of those.

3D modeling is sculpting in a fancy digital suit. It takes just as much skill and isn't any more accessible to the average person. Less, actually. All you need to do traditional sculpting is putty and some simple tools.

Battle-Brother

Quote Originally Posted by Kawauso View Post
    I'm not sure they need to have a response to that.

It's no different from people sculpting things out of green stuff and creating resin or pewter casts based off of those.

3D modeling is sculpting in a fancy digital suit. It takes just as much skill and isn't any more accessible to the average person. Less, actually. All you need to do traditional sculpting is putty and some simple tools.
    Give it a few years and the 3d printers will make an impact. Once it becomes hard to distinguish the models, they will be in for trouble. It's already bad enough with replicating finecast, once someone can replicate plastics it will get ugly.

Their diss on the Android market shows they are not able to adapt. Look at the numbers and its clear there are more potential customers in the Android market. At least give us an option in there. I want to pay for this, hell even on top of the paper book. Not giving me the option because I don't have an Ipad... bad business.

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by sergentzimm View Post
    Give it a few years and the 3d printers will make an impact. Once it becomes hard to distinguish the models, they will be in for trouble. It's already bad enough with replicating finecast, once someone can replicate plastics it will get ugly.
    Um, again, people can already do that. Without 3D printing.

People do already do that. There's an infamous company in China that sells knockoffs of GW and FW bitz and full kits. I've heard their stuff is pretty good, too, in terms of the detail. And they -don't- use 3D printing, from what I can tell, because it's actually pretty far behind in terms of quality compared to knock-offs or original sculpts you can make the old-fashioned way.

And again, even when it catches up, 3D printing I think is going to be a lot less useful than people seem to think it's going to be.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by wittdooley View Post
    Also:
    [url]http://www.pcworld.com/article/256625/apples_ipad_will_be_more_popular_than_pcs_in_2020. html[/url]

I'd wager this is also a primary reason to go with iOS first as it is already has a deeper market penetration for tablets.
    A bigger reason for this is iOS is better to deal with and has a better toolset - I've got a mate who had to make an App for his company and Apple's tools were a dream to work with and no problem. Android was nowhere near as smooth, and I've heard this from a number of programmer friends.

Edit: while I can see the use on an iPad, I don't have one so won't be buying any downloads. If they were viewable on my lappy, that'd be a different matter.
    Last edited by Gotthammer; 06-01-2012 at 11:19 PM.

I see your 'too little too late' and raise you a 'better late then never'. Seriously, this just goes to show that no matter what GW does people will never be pleased. They don't include rules in WD, that is terrible, they include rules in WD, the rules aren't good enough or there aren't enough of then, they include painting tutorials and they aren't the right sort of painting tutorial, the include terrain guides they aren't in depth enough. Now they go digital which has been one of the number one demands of the online playerbase and what is the result? Whining. Is it any wonder GW love their 'f*** you' approach to customer relations.
    Quote Originally Posted by sergentzimm View Post
    As usual a little too little, a little too late. Ipad only? Yeah ignore the market potential of the android platform and its numbers which are starting to dwarf the ipad... Guess I will just pirate the copy to use on my android instead. smart move.
    I actually have no interest in digital codices and whatnot, though if the scrolls of binding and various other rules are digital exclusive (which I believe they are) I may have to find some way of getting hold of them. Can you print from an iPad?
    Last edited by eldargal; 06-01-2012 at 11:32 PM.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Veteran-Sergeant

Apple seems to be a company people love or hate. Rarely does someone have a neutral opinion. Hmmm, remind you of another company?

Wait about 3 weeks, when the new iOS version comes out, decoupling the iPad from iTunes. Then not only will the hardware be vastly superior, the software will be too.

r

(typed on my beloved iPad, Julie.)
    It takes a big hammer to drive a big nail.

Chaplain

Eldargal you took the words out of my mouth! People on have whined and b*tched on this forum about the lack of digital army books Now we get them and still the whining!

When I saw the blog this morning I thought how long did I sleep is it April fools already? But this is awesome and what people have to remember before they jump on the "GW screw you, you haven't catered to my specific taste/platform" bandwagon is this is GW just starting to do digital gaming books. They've picked probably the most globally recognised platform and produced a selection of products, apparently with extra content no less!

Where do they go from here? Maybe android and windows platforms etc. If there is sufficient demand for it why not?

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast