BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Deadlift, it looks to me like they are going to charge the same amount for physical and digital copies of any given codex. Given the value-added features that the digital versions will have I'm quite happy to pay the same prices I would have paid for the dead-tree versions...

I'm really looking forward to a digital 'Nids Codex! That will be so cool!
    Looking for a game in the San Antonio area? You can find me here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/175757472448931/

Quote Originally Posted by Deadlift View Post
    Has no one twigged that GW are also going to release the new rule book for 6th for the iPad too.

Yay . I always thought of the iPad as a bigger version of my iPhone, not anymore.
    Can we not get cybernetic implants yet? Those are going to be awesome. Something with the power of a full computer, a large field of vision "screen" and phone capability.

that's not asking for much is it?
    "But I tell you, we were gods once, and we shall be gods again". - In defense of the future: a Logical Discourse.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by scadugenga View Post
    I have not viewed the sample yet. Though I do have an iPad. The price point is what is making me shake my head and go "nice try..." again.

If they were offering their codices at say, $25.00 USD, I would have zero problem with it, and would probably buy more than just the codices for the armies I have.

And yes, the allure of lugging rules around on the iPad is high. I can carry 40lbs or more worth of Pathfinder books, or have everything on the ipad.

It's quite simple, actually.
    Right with you on the price point. As I already have the physical and PDF versions, it's a tough sell for me. But only this codex. Ideally for me, I'd like to buy the paper version and pay a MODEST fee more to get access to the digital. We've yet to see where this is going, but besides the price, I like it

@rapture -- to be fair, I've done a fair amount of market research on tablets recently for my profession, so, and I don't mean this condescendingly at all, I probably have a bit more knowledge than the "average joe" in this instance. Apple is overwhelmingly in control if the tablet sector. We had looked at the RIM playbook because in the past blackberry = business, but it simple didn't have the capabilities that the iPad has. Now RIM is almost dead. Android isn't in dire straights like that, but according to our developers, it is harder to work with and they have to consider ALL android devices when programming, all of which have their interface idiosyncrasies. Apple, on the other hand really only has 1 tablet to worry about.

@gendo -- dude just go to best buy, kick a little kid off the booth, and play with an iPad for 10 minutes. You really have no idea what the iPad is capable of with comments like "oh, so it's like a PDA with color."

www.queencityguard.com

Quote Originally Posted by wittdooley View Post
    @gendo -- dude just go to best buy, kick a little kid off the booth, and play with an iPad for 10 minutes. You really have no idea what the iPad is capable of with comments like "oh, so it's like a PDA with color."
    can it play diablo III?
    "But I tell you, we were gods once, and we shall be gods again". - In defense of the future: a Logical Discourse.

Chapter-Master

Is the hardware capable? Probably. Infinity Blade and Epoch pretty much prove that. I have a very average PC with a dedicated but average graphics card, and both of these look better on the iPad than they probably would on my PC that runs Diablo 3 just fine.

Can your Xbox or PS3 play diablo 3? Point being here that just because it isn't supported doesn't mean it can't play it.

Again, go check one out at best buy. I think you grossly underestimate what the iPad can do.

www.queencityguard.com

Banned

@rapture -- to be fair, I've done a fair amount of market research on tablets recently for my profession, so, and I don't mean this condescendingly at all, I probably have a bit more knowledge than the "average joe" in this instance. Apple is overwhelmingly in control if the tablet sector. We had looked at the RIM playbook because in the past blackberry = business, but it simple didn't have the capabilities that the iPad has. Now RIM is almost dead. Android isn't in dire straights like that, but according to our developers, it is harder to work with and they have to consider ALL android devices when programming, all of which have their interface idiosyncrasies. Apple, on the other hand really only has 1 tablet to worry about.
    To be even more fair, the market we were talking about was that of GW digital documents. Their break into that market is overdone and unnecessarily overpriced.

They either should have kept it simple for a lower price or they should have done something worth while.

Iron Father

Is the hardware capable? Probably. Infinity Blade and Epoch pretty much prove that. I have a very average PC with a dedicated but average graphics card, and both of these look better on the iPad than they probably would on my PC that runs Diablo 3 just fine.

Can your Xbox or PS3 play diablo 3? Point being here that just because it isn't supported doesn't mean it can't play it.

Again, go check one out at best buy. I think you grossly underestimate what the iPad can do.

I hope your right . The mrs has just ordered us both an iPad each. Just the basic 16gb wifi ipad 2 models. As soon as they come and if nobody beats me to it I will do a little review on the codex.
    http://paintingplasticcrack.blogspot.co.uk

Chapter-Master

You realize we agree on the price point being too high, right?

And a major part of this discussion has been based on the merits (or lackthereof) of having the product debut on iOS and not Android, so I think people having the correct information regarding tablet market saturation is important.

Regardless, You're not interested in hearing anything different tban your opinion that the product is "overdone" or "worthwhile", nor have you actually fooled around with the sample product, so there's trying to convince you otherwise will be fruitless.

Like I said earlier, if it was ONLY a PDF, all the blowhards would be complaining that it was ONLY a PDF.

www.queencityguard.com

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Deadlift View Post
    I hope your right . The mrs has just ordered us both an iPad each. Just the basic 16gb wifi ipad 2 models. As soon as they come and if nobody beats me to it I will do a little review on the codex.
    Check out those two games I mentioned. Theyre sterling examples of what the hardware can do. I hear the implementation of Minecraft is really great, though I've yet to explore it.

www.queencityguard.com

Banned

Regardless, You're not interested in hearing anything different tban your opinion that the product is "overdone" or "worthwhile", nor have you actually fooled around with the sample product, so there's trying to convince you otherwise will be fruitless.
    I am fully aware of what I am interested it. If I wasn't interested in what people thought about it I would not be here. When something bad is released by a company that I like, I voice my opinion as I want the company to stay healthy. Also, I want them to release products that are worth purchasing. Convincing me fruitless? Go for it. If anyone would like to argue that imbedded reels of pictures (especially when the are taken from the original codex) and a search function are either desirable or necessary, I would be glad to read it. The document's toy functions are silly and should be left out.

The 'don't use what you don't like about it argument' is worthless as all features - good or bad - increase costs which increases the price.

Like I said earlier, if it was ONLY a PDF, all the blowhards would be complaining that it was ONLY a PDF.
    Maybe. There are always blowhards - on both sides.
    Last edited by Rapture; 06-03-2012 at 06:40 PM.

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast