BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 39 of 50 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast

Unless I am mistaken no synapse in the list? Is that to avoid no retreat wounds from spilling over to the MC's?

Chaplain

Tervigons are synaptic.

Default Well,now that that's out of the way...

It's good to see that someone has already worked out the maximum logical drop of Tervs on the field, and that people have already thought out how it might be good, and bad. I've done some thinking over the past few days over the wars on the spike rifle/strangleweb/FB/DS/SF ranges and attributes, and I've come to the conclusion that the Spike rifle (the other upgrade weapon) is a small template weapon (with the stats stated in previous rumors), for the following reasons:

1) Symmetry. You can choose to have a flamer or a longer range template grenade launcher. The existence of the one option suggests the existence of the other. Cruddance likes symmetry in his builds, balancing out the threefold mirror of the Hellhound variants, and to a lesser extent, the LR galaxy of choices.
    2) Texture. An upgrade weapon that merely causes more dice rolling, or has a marginal chance to do more hurty fire by rending, doesn't have an appreciable effect otherwise. A template weapon provides more standoff firepower threat to termigants, a tactical role that they're being groomed for by Cruddance if I judge correctly.
    3) Tactical role. A long range 'grenade launcher' type weapon would fit nicely into the life of gaunts hunkered down in an objective wood.
    4) Usefulness. The strangleweb, with its abiility to autohit under the template (even if its' at 5 or even 6 to wound) will end up being a much better option than a gun that reeks worse than the base (as it is currently rumored).

The only other possibility is that it's a sniper weapon, to provide gaunts with some pinning ability, but given that Pinning works on <MEQ armies it's not terribly relevant in the current era of uncompetitive/unupdated Xenos codices. The likelihood that this is true, in the current climate, thus seems low.

I assert this to be true based on current knowledge and the logic of the points above. Argument and debate welcomed.

Merry Christmas everyone - a German copy of the codex has been leaked onto the internet. I've only seen a few pages translated, so I'll give details on those for now.

The other Instinctive Behavior besides Lurk (possibly called Devour?) grants Rage to the unit and specifies that they cannot shoot, but may run so long as the model moves in the manner specified by Rage (ie towards the closest enemy unit in sight). We already knew about the Rage part but the no shooting/rage run info I hadn't heard before so I figured I'd mention it.

Devourers (normal AND monstrous creature versions) apparently force a morale test if a unit is
    wounded by one, and it must be taken at -1. This is going off my own intuition as to what the german means, this isn't an actual translation, so I don't know details.

Warriors - 3-9 per brood, 30 points, WS5 BS3, S and T the same as before, W3 I4 A3 Ld10 Sv4+. They come with scything talons and devourer standard, as well as Shadow in the Warp. They can replace their devourer for a pair of spinefists, another pair or scything talons, or rending claws for free, or a deathspitter (now 18" s5 ap5 assault 3) for 5 points. They can exchange their existing scything talons (not a pair that they've recieved for replacing their devourer) for rending claws (5 pts), a pair of boneswords (10 pts), or a bonesword and a lash whip (15 pts). 1 Warrior per brood can take a Venom Cannon or Strangler(?) for 15 and 10 points respectively (remember that these are the 'light' variants with reduced strength and range). Adrenal Glands and Toxin sacs cost 5 points each, I assume this is per model and I doubt you can mix it up. My personal thoughts here is that while t4 30 point models with a 4+ save is still a risky investment, the relative cheapness of some of these upgrades (with the exception of the special weapons, which I find to be over-costed) makes up for it somewhat. Flying Warriors confirmed, they have a 5+ save and presumably no way to improve this. 35 points a pop and are in fast attack.

Alpha Warrior - WS6, BS4 S5 T5 W3 I5 A4 Ld10 Sv3+, 80 points. Same standard loadout as a regular warrior, except there's something under special rules (leitbestie) that went untranslated, though this might be the rule that buffs a Tyranid Warrior unit he joins that was rumored. It also has the Independent Character rule, so you don't have to purchase a Warrior brood along with him. Toxin Sacs and Adrenal Glands are 10 points each instead, and it can take Regeneration for 10 points as well. His weapon choices and costs are otherwise identical to a normal Warrior.

Genestealers - Same statline as we're used to, 5+ save with no upgrade available, 14 pts. They can be accompanied by a Broodlord for 46 points, who enjoys WS7 S5 T5 W3 I7 A3 Sv4+. He seems to have lost his Inhuman Strength and is stuck with just Rending Claws at first. All of them come with Fleet, Infiltrate, and Move Through Cover. The Broodlord can take Scything Talons for 2 points, an Injector (instant death on a wound roll of 6) for 10, and Acid Blood for 15 (automatic wound against whichever unit is attacking the Broodlord for each unsaved wound inflicted, no saves). Genestealers can take Scything Talons for 2 points, Adrenaline Glands for 3 points (I really like this, furious charge on genestealers is a horrifying concept), and Toxin sacs for 3 points (also awesome, rerolling wounds on anything with s5 or less means more chances for rending). No translation on his psychic powers but existing rumors are likely accurate.

Pyrovore - Very strange. Existing statline rumors pretty much hold true - including the I1 A1 part, and is 45 points. However his weapon, which is simply a heavy flamer with no extra range like a hellhound, behaves oddly. Everytime he is wounded, he automatically fires it and 'explodes' like a vehicle, (s3 ap- within d6"). He has the Devour instinctive behavior but has a special exception allowing him to still fire his flamer. The best I can make sense of this guy is that you're supposed to charge him in and force the opponent to deal with him until he finally explodes a final time and dies.

Hive Tyrant - WS8 BS3 S6 T6 W4 I5 A4 Ld10 Sv3+, 170 points. Comes with Bonesword and Lashwhip, as well as a pair of Scything Talons. Has Shadow in the Warp standard as well as two out of four Psychic Powers (dominate, life drain, psychic scream, warp scream). Bonesword/Whip can be swapped out for another pair of scythes for free, scything talons can be swapped for either a twin-linked deathspitter or twin-linked devourers with 'monstrous creature ammo' (18" s6 ap - assault 6). Both options are 15 points. Important to note is that in this case it is perfectly legal to swap ANY pair of scything talons, including the ones that replaced the bonesword/whip, so Dakkarants are still legal, albeit much more expensive. The next part specifies that only ONE scything talon pair can be replaced by a heavy strangler or venom cannon for 20/25 points respectively. He can take 3 special non-psychic powers that are each 25 points (these are the rumored abilities like granting outflank, +1 to reserves, and so on). Adrenal Glands, Toxin Sacs, Acid Blood, Injector, Toxic Miasma, Regeneration - 10, 10, 15, 15, 15, 20 points respectively. It can take 1 of the following torso options - thorax swarm (flamer template rumored to be available to Raveners), extended carapace (2+ save presumably), wings, for 25, 40, and 60 points respectively.

Carnifex - rumored statline is true. 160 points, Broods of 1-3. Has +2 I charge, Fearless, 2 sets of scythes standard. Can replace one pair with crushing claws for 25 points, adds d3 attacks each round but overrides the built-in charge bonus. Can replace both pairs of scything talons with the twin-linked monster devourers for the same cost as a Tyrant (15 points), Heavy strangler/VC costs are also the same but limited to 1 each. Spore cysts - 5 points, count as frag grenades, adrenal glands and toxin sacs are 10 points each, bioplasma (12" plasma cannon) is 10 points, regeneration is 25 points. If the brood numbers 1 carnifex, it can take a mycotic spore. Head options (excluding regenerate) and tail weapons are gone.

Tervigon - WS3 BS3 S5 T6 W6 I1 A3 Ld10 Sv3+, 160 points. Has "thornvolley" weapon standard, 18" s5 ap4 assault 4. Has synapse, shadow in the warp, dominate. Can take scything talons for 5 points, crushing claws for 25. Adrenal glands and toxin sacs are 10 points, acid blood, injector, toxic miasma 15 points, regeneration 30 points. "Thorn Volley" can be replaced with "Thorn Blast" for free, same range and strength, no AP and is large blast. Can take catalyst or the force psychic powers for 15 points each. "Brood Father" special rule grants his leadership to all gaunts within 6" as well as the bonuses from toxin sacs and adrenal glands equipped on the tervigon, as well as counter-attack. However if the tervigon dies, all gaunt units within 6" suffer 3d6 s3 ap- hits. Spawning gaunts works as rumored, they must be placed within 6" of the Tervigon. If terrain/models prevent placement the model is lost. Gaunts spawned are the default profile in the codex.

Trygon/Trygon Alpha - everything rumored is pretty much true. Has Deep Strike, Fearless, Fleet, Instinctive Behaviour - Feed (Trygon only), Synapse Creature (Trygon Prime only), Shadow in the Warp (Trygon Prime only). The following wording is translated as close to what will likely be in the english codex as possible. Subterranean Attack: If a Trygon (or Trygon Prime) following the rules for Deep Strike will be placed in impassable terrain or on another model (friend or foe), reduce the deviation distance to the minimum that is necessary to not touch the obstacle. After the Trygon (or Trygon Prime) has emerged, mark the position of the creature's base with an appropriate marker. Any Tyranid infantry units (no creatures with wings) arriving in the following turns from reserve may use the network of tunnels created by the Trygon (or Trygon Prime) and come out of the tunnel exit, rather than entering the battlefield normally. If a unit is deployed this way, the entire unit is placed so that all models are in legal formation within 6 inches of the marker. If models cannot be placed because of impassable terrain or enemy models within 1 inch, these models are destroyed. The unit may not move in the turn in which they appear, and may not assault, but can shoot or run as normal. Only one unit may enter the battlefield via each tunnel exit.

That's all I've seen so far. Source is anonymous, but all thanks and credit go to his translation.

*Edit: Included cost for Pyrovore and details on Trygon special rules. Also added details on Devourers and confirmation of Flying Warriors.
    Last edited by Madjob; 12-25-2009 at 02:10 PM.

Chapter-Master

Missile launchers might get more popular, thanks to the relatively cheap str 8 Ap 3.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Thanks for all the info. I'm curious if anyone has any info about the point costs of the "special characters"...Old One Eye, Doom of Malan'tai, Parasite of Mortrex. Feel free to post them in terms of other units like on the front page if it's more acceptable to do it that way. I appreciate all the work everyone's putting in to share this with people!

One one Eye =LR Crusader with multimelta
    Malan'tai = basic marine squad
    Parasite= thunderfire+predator. also, he's not an MC, but he is an IC. Big friend for the gargoyles

Didn't even catch that about the Parasite. Cool stuff. Malan'tai is cheap enough to be worth trying out in a drop pod, it seems like. He looks like he could be amazingly damaging and annoying, if only he were T5 or an EW...hope he can make a lot of 3+'s against Missile and Melta.

Thanks for the help!

termagaunts are 5 poitns and horamgaunts are 6 points. that is without upgrades I might add.

Flavor of the month for the nids I see people running Terivgons, alpha warriors, Termagaunts, Harpies and trygons.

Ditching hive tyrants, Carnifxes and the lictors still.

Chaplain

People will not be running Harpies. At T5, 4+ save and no eternal they are horrible.

Page 39 of 50 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast