BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

View Poll Results: Is it time to boycott GW?

Voters
114. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

35 30.70%
  • No

79 69.30%
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by gendoikari87 View Post
    then enjoy your high prices. They are going to keep going up and up.
    So... what you're saying is that they're following trends with pretty much every other industry?

How Much things cost in 2000 --> 2012

Average Cost of new house $134,150.00 -->$291,200 = 117% increase
    Cost of a gallon of Gas $1.26 --> $3.79 = 200% increase
    US Postage Stamp 33 cents --> 42 cents = 27% increase
    1 LB of Bacon $2.97 --> $4.55 = 53% increase
    Ground Coffee per IB $3.44 --> $6.99 = 103% increase
    Gallon of Milk $1.88 --> $2.89 = 54% increase

So...it's not a GW exclusive thing.

www.queencityguard.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tzeentch's Dark Agent View Post
    *claps* Well said.

GW are increasing costs to match THEIR increasing costs. Unfortunately, the world doesn't run on love and cuddles, if it did then I'd be a millionaire. Stuff costs money bro.
    Proof bro, proof.
    "But I tell you, we were gods once, and we shall be gods again". - In defense of the future: a Logical Discourse.

Chapter-Master

Even if every BoLS member boycotted GW it'd barely register as a dip in their profits. Personnally, I'd suggest writing a letter to GW management explaining my views and argument in a clear and non-volatile manner, asking why they fealt a price rise was required.

On the otherhand, I have looked over their financial statements of the last few years (started doing it for a written project for a Business and Managemkent module for my degree) and they have consistently shown that they reinvest their profits into giving us bigger, better, more detailed models, kits with greater componant counts, increased manufacturing, storage and distribution capabilities, among other things. Now, I'm not saying that a noticable portion of those profits don't go into shareholders' pockets, but guess what; GW are a business. That is their primary aim. Now, I'm not saying I personnally want to see the prices go up, just that I can fully understand why companies can, will and do.

As Eldargirl pointed out, boycotts are for businesses that violate human rights or unethically treat the environment. GW produces luxury products. We pay a luxury price tag for that. If it becomes too big a price tag for you, then it is a luxury you have to do with out. That said I bet most of us have a decent collection of miniatures and can comtinue to play games without buying new bits? I'm currently unemployed and living of Job Seeker's Allowance (approximately £50 a week) and yet I am still able to get my hobby fix. If you have more and really can't afford everything you want from GW (whether directly or via other stores) maybe you need to look at saving up for things rather than buying as soon as something comes out, or being less greedy. Maybe focus on improving the army you have (better paint job etc) and slowly building it up rather than selling it and buying a new army.

Note, none of this is directed specifically at the OP, just the complaints of price hikes i read about every year.
    Always thinking 2 projects ahead of anything I've yet to finish
    http://instinctuimperator.blogspot.co.uk/

Average Cost of new house $134,150.00 -->$291,200 = 117% increase
    this one you pulled out your ***, housing is still down 20% and that's a conservative esitmate.
    "But I tell you, we were gods once, and we shall be gods again". - In defense of the future: a Logical Discourse.

Okay I get why GW does this now, you're all completely insane and will pay whatever their asking price. I suggest going to addiction counseling.

I'm a plumber, copper and PLASTIC (the material GW use!) is going up because it's getting more expensive to get hold of.
    Red like roses, fills my dreams and brings me to the place where you rest...

Chapter-Master

Proof bro, proof.
    GW have their financial reports freely availible in the [URL="http://investor.games-workshop.com/"]investors section[/URL] of their website.

Plenty of proof. Just a bit more work for you than saying "Waaaah. GW are putting up prices just to make more money so I shall now cry waaaah"
    Always thinking 2 projects ahead of anything I've yet to finish
    http://instinctuimperator.blogspot.co.uk/

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by SotonShades View Post
    Even if every BoLS member boycotted GW it'd barely register as a dip in their profits. Personnally, I'd suggest writing a letter to GW management explaining my views and argument in a clear and non-volatile manner, asking why they fealt a price rise was required.

Note, none of this is directed specifically at the OP, just the complaints of price hikes i read about every year.
    They became a PLC, I'm sure when I started in the 90's the prices seemed static for longer, but as a PLC they have to show an increase in profit to keep the shareholders happy..

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Quote Originally Posted by Tzeentch's Dark Agent View Post
    I'm a plumber, copper and PLASTIC (the material GW use!) is going up because it's getting more expensive to get hold of.
    I know my dad's a plumber and it hasn't gone up that much (at least plastic, copper keeps going through the roof), and GW was already selling at an exorbitant cost. Again to the GW defenders out there, addiction counseling.

We aren't insane, we just have a sense of perspective that stops us getting too hysterical about a toy soldier company raising its prices. I don't think it was the best thing they could have done, but it isn't the end of the world. Especially since UK retailers haven't got the email yet so it is possible it won't happen here (there was a US specific price rise a year or two ago).

Okay I get why GW does this now, you're all completely insane and will pay whatever their asking price. I suggest going to addiction counseling.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast