BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 12 of 59 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post
    And also to be fair, deepstriking generally sucks. Buffing it in some way is a good thing.
    I kind of agree.

I DS a lot more than I used to, and it can be pretty fun, but its not the most reliable thing around (outside of a Blood Angel army, that is).

And with regard to the knee-jerk reaction a lot of people are having to assaults off the Deep Strike: remember Vanguard Veterans can do that right now with Heroic Intervention.
    Armies Played (in order of acquisition)
    Crons, SW, SM, Tau, 1k Sons, IG, Nids, BA, DE

Chapter-Master

Vanguard can DS into combat true...think a unit of Orks can with the right IC

BUt its not 100% safe (chances of losses on the move) and that unit can't murder its first unit then plow straight into a 2nd without giving a chance to be shot at

I think deepstriking can use some improvement yes. But being able to dive straight into combat isn't it
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by DrLove42 View Post
    Vanguard can DS into combat true...think a unit of Orks can with the right IC

BUt its not 100% safe (chances of losses on the move) and that unit can't murder its first unit then plow straight into a 2nd without giving a chance to be shot at

I think deepstriking can use some improvement yes. But being able to dive straight into combat isn't it
    How do these rumours give any impression that it would be 100% safe in 6th?

If random charge distances are put in, also, just because you DS beside an enemy unit doesn't mean you'll get that assault off, for sure - and that's assuming you don't scatter the wrong way or mishap.

And true, right now consolidation into new combat isn't allowed, but if the 'snap fire' rule or something similar to it turns out to be true, than each time you pile into a new combat you're doing so with a faceful of defensive fire before you close the gap.
    Armies Played (in order of acquisition)
    Crons, SW, SM, Tau, 1k Sons, IG, Nids, BA, DE

Consolidating into another assault was no where near as broken as many people seem to remember. All you had to do was think carefully about how you position your troops.

It has been in every version of 40k except 5th.

When you could sweeping advance into a second unit (4th ed) the assaulting unit could still be shot at in their opponents turn...

I suspect the 'snap fire' may be a similar system.

Chapter-Master

Yeah, spread your units out even slightly and hey, they can't consolidate into new assaults because they're too far away to reach. Rocket science.

And, btw, planetstrike already allows you to assault after deepstrike in a lot of cases, and it certainly didn't unbalance the game. It just made game that much bloodier, that much more quickly. Planetstrike was awesome, I would love it if they included some of the less silly stuff from planetstrike in 6th ed.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Chapter-Master

Threadomancy with the new stuff i've got from Faeit 212

From Beasts of War
    "Charger Actions" Stand and Shoot
    The unit getting charged if equipped with pistols, and probably assault weapons and rapid fire weapons (but not heavies) will get the chance to fire at opposing units as they charge into close combat.

The Ballistic skill for these will be at BS1. Flamers will rock for this kind of shooting.

That's all they said
    via Darnok
    It seems there are some 40K releases scheduled for June, including the new rulebook, templates, dice and either markers or cards for psychic powers. Cheers to the birdy!

June is for flyers, and the last week of June will see the pre-orders for 40K 6th.
    I knew GW would only do random physic powers just so they could release more of those magic cards. Not that that will stop me buying any...

As for "Stand and shoot". I hope theres some armys that get benefits to it (like Tau can fire at normal BS or something but get no CC attacks), but it means Flamer units (like Ok burna boyz) are virtually unassaultable by anything without terminator armour, and things with little to no armour....Nids, Wyches, small ork hordes are screwed
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

Veteran-Sergeant
    That would make it too easy for the Imperial Assassins

Quote Originally Posted by DrLove42 View Post
    As for "Stand and shoot". I hope theres some armys that get benefits to it (like Tau can fire at normal BS or something but get no CC attacks), but it means Flamer units (like Ok burna boyz) are virtually unassaultable by anything without terminator armour, and things with little to no armour....Nids, Wyches, small ork hordes are screwed
    Incidentally, that would be an enormous buff for Sisters of Battle if so. I mean we'll have to see how it plays, but given the availability of Flamers and Heavy Flamers to a SoB army that could become borderline ludicrousness. Sure would justify ever taking a 4x Heavy Flamer Retributor Squad though that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Lancel View Post
    Incidentally, that would be an enormous buff for Sisters of Battle if so. I mean we'll have to see how it plays, but given the availability of Flamers and Heavy Flamers to a SoB army that could become borderline ludicrousness. Sure would justify ever taking a 4x Heavy Flamer Retributor Squad though that's for sure.
    There must be more of a disadvantage to the shooting (other than BS1) (I suspect you wont be able to retaliate in CC as effectively) Other wise a unit with high "I" (GK with halbards) would shoot you, then hit you (as your unit charged in) so Orks would get the snot kicked outta them every-time they charged.

If this is possibly combined with the "alpha strike" rule (from the leaked thingie) it could be interesting and make cheap sacrificial units very useful...It could Ironically be of great benefit to Nids... Send in a few 'gaunts to get shot up and tie up the shooing unit, then charge em with 'stealers and shred things up.

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Lancel View Post
    Wow, IG Vets with 3 flamers, IG PCS with 4 flamers. Suddenly including a flamer with every IG box becomes a genius move.

r
    It takes a big hammer to drive a big nail.

Chapter-Master

The question is, how many hits does the flamer cause? If you're shooting at a target 6" away, you're only hitting a couple of models if the assaulting player is smart. Even a unit with 4 flamers is only causing maybe 10 str 4 hits, before rolling to wound and save. Not bad, but not exactly horribly overpowered. And for that matter, how do assault moves work now? That would influence how the assaulting player places his models. If it works like it does now, you only need one model within 6" and keep everyone else far enough out of flamer range, but you can still get everyone into assault thanks to pile in moves.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Page 12 of 59 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast