BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Scout

Post New Tabletop RPG: "Only War". Play as a guardsman!

So browsing the web, I found out about this up and coming game from FFG and was surprised to see that there wasn't a thread about it on BOLS. (I searched, if I missed it then I'm sorry :V).
    here's the short form:
    -Play as a guardsman, one of twelve classes. (tech priest, priest storm trooper and sergeant confirmed)

Only War is a standalone Warhammer 40,000 roleplaying game experience in which players take on the roles of soldiers in the Imperial Guard, the galaxy-spanning armies of the God-Emperor. Fully compatible with FFG’s other Warhammer 40,000 Roleplay titles, this comprehensive game system explores a previously unseen side of life in the Imperium of Man.

Join the ranks of brave men and women inducted into the God-Emperor’s armies, trained to fight and sent off to far flung stars and systems to hold the line against the coming night. Despite overwhelming opposition, or perhaps because of it, these fearless soldiers are bound to each other by a code of brotherhood and honour. They are the thin line that protects the Imperium from complete and utter destruction. They are the Imperial Guard.
    [URL]http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite.asp?eidm=201&enmi=Only%20War[/URL]

[URL]http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=3185[/URL]

Take the role of a Guardsman with one of twelve distinct Specialties, offering unique skills to your squad to complement those of your comrades. Will you bring the light of the God-Emperor to the battlefield as a Ministorum Priest, or will you wield the Imperium’s most cutting-edge technology as a fearsome Storm Trooper? Perhaps you’ll tend to the machine spirits of the Guard’s many war machines as a Tech-Priest Enginseer, or lead the charge as your squad’s Sergeant. Whatever your function, you’ll be a vital part of the Imperium’s vast war machine.
    I'm excited, will probably buy it once it's out, I'll have to grab my friend who's into 40k and rpg's then bring it to the hobby shop and figure out a group.

Banned

Sweet, I'll add it to the pile! Digging the cover art too.

Wait though, won't it suck having all the PCs die after a few hours of roleplaying (so long as hours IRL= minutes of role play time)?

Actually this sounds really cool and I'd like to try it out.

Scout

Quote Originally Posted by thefremen View Post
    Wait though, won't it suck having all the PCs die after a few hours of roleplaying (so long as hours IRL= minutes of role play time)?

I'm sure it'd be easy to make a challenging yet not instant death game featuring guardsmen, Space marines would of course kill the party nearly instantly but I could imagine a campaign featuring a group of veterans operating against a cult in an imperial city turning out well. FFG has done a good job with Rogue Trader from what I hear and that's a game where you can be a normal man (albeit commanding a starship)

anyways time for images from the only war blog!

That Chimera looks like it's 30 feet tall! That's awesome!
    Borderline alcoholic and happy about it.
    Don't get your religion mixed with my Constitution. The mixture curdles.

When expectations are set, players often don't mind. However, you do need streamlined character creation or it's severely unfun.

Lots of people play Call of Cthulhu after all.
    If this is the way mankind ends up, I'm rooting for the Orks.

Veteran-Sergeant

Yea that was my first thought, won't it suck having your main objective to die but hopefully kill an enemy or two in the process. Maybe they only have rules for about ten minuets of actual action.

The objective of the game will probably be to survive 15 hours. Like Cleveland said, "You don't win, you just do a little better each time."

Seriously though, this game sounds awesome.

Chaplain

In all the FFG RPGs except Deathwatch, there's a pretty good sense of scale for what "normal" people in the 41st Millenium are capable of. I'm really interested to see their "pure" take on the Imperial Guard.

And as far as "normal" and the Guard - bear in mind that on some worlds, Guardsmen are extremely genhanced and modified - though still not to the extent of the Astartes. Character creation should be good fun, what with the sheer variety that you can have with Imperial Guard homeworlds.
    We Will Strike With The Arms Of Gods
    And Leave Nothing In Our Wake

I'd bet a regular guardsmen is more capable of survival than some Dark Heresy parties that form.
    I'm thinking it'd probably turn out more like Daleks playing Quiddich. "It is the Potter!! EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE! " (someone I know on twitter)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast