BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Last time I sat down to paint I found an old chaos black that I had forgotten about. 6 months old? A year? Who knows. But it was bone dry. I'm totally switching to reapers and their dropper bottles.

Scout

Basse white sounds amazing for my Dark Eldar. About the only thing I'm really looking forward to though. Base/foundation paints are the best part of the gw paint line.

Cool

Count me among those who got the chance to test them at the local store and was pleasantly surprised.

I'm sure there's something that will be a downside, but the new bases definitely do the job of covering. Crossing my fingers that with the bases, historical problem colors will not be as much of a problem anymore.
    The nice surprise is there's a brighter red base that covers better than mechrite red as far as I could tell.

The texture paints are definitely something I will use with old brushes. They almost need to be scooped on as you'll tend to get pigment and not the sand if you treat them like traditional paints. I don't feel they're a suitable replacement for weathering powders because they're coarser than I'd like for mud splatters and such, but do make bases a little easier. I prefer understated model bases with minimum of work so the model gets the attention anyway. I've usually used sand with several PVA treatments to hold it in place before base coating and drybrushing. This might cut some of the steps of that process down, so I'm happy to give them a try.

Shades are pretty much as advertised. I didn't really play with layers too much at the time.

One thing, at least the shades in the sample set were a different bottle top. It is a bit harder to get open, but stays open and closes more tightly. I don't know if that means the actual production pots will be these new ones across the board or what.
    If this is the way mankind ends up, I'm rooting for the Orks.

Has anyone done a strait comparission to a new paint with the old paint, I've seen some photos where the colors don't exactly match up and I'm wondering if anyone else is seeing this.

Quote Originally Posted by Suffokate View Post
    Has anyone done a strait comparission to a new paint with the old paint, I've seen some photos where the colors don't exactly match up and I'm wondering if anyone else is seeing this.
    That's one downside: there's a number that ARE NOT matching. I know for a fact that there really is no mechrite red anymore. There's a base red (Khorne) darker and a base red (Mephiston) that is brighter, nothing at it's precise level though. (may not be 100% accurate on those names though).

Boltgun's replacement, leadbelcher, is also not exactly the same, although that's more because I think it's smoother with finer grained particles rather than a different colour value.

I think the results by themselves are much better from what I saw, but backwards compatibility is going to cause some folks pain. If there's good coverage with yellow over black, I will gladly give up backwards compatibility.
    If this is the way mankind ends up, I'm rooting for the Orks.

I played with them at GW last weekend.

I really liked the textured paint for the bases. Really looked good and very easy. Did 50 terminators in a couple hours.

I also really liked the coverage of the base coat ceramite white. I normally have to do multiple coats to get good coverage. The ceramite white covered in one coat.

Battle-Brother

I'm kind of a painting slut- I use Reaper, Vallejo (model and game line), Tamiya (Airbrush line), GW, and the P3 line.

How do the new paints compare to them? I have no brand loyalty when it comes to paint. I use the best I can find for the job I want to do. Part of the problem is until recently, I hated mixing colors. Why mix GW Blood Red with some GW Kemri Brown when I can get the exact color I want in P3 Skorne Red? I loved using Reaper metallics for all the colors/effects they produced. Vallejo just has some great colors. P3 makes awesome base coat paints. Since P3 has reformulated the metaliccs (black label ones), they are just awesome! For the most part, I use GW metalics (Bolt Gun and Chainmail, but switching to P3 Pig Iron and Cold Steel) and GW Washes. Tamiya Airbrush line for, well, airbrushing. Add some "Airbrush Medium" and they are good to go. Everything else takes too much prep for me to get just the right consistency and mixture.

Best thing about GW Paint Line: GW Washes! It's like talent in a paint pot! They are like the best thing to happen to average quality painters like myself. I really, really hope they don't monkey around too much with the wash line. It was the best thing GW has done in a long time.

Right now, I can see myself getting the Ceramite White if it covers as a base coat so well. I use Vallejo Foundation White or P3 Menoth White for my white base coats.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamwulf View Post
    I'm kind of a painting slut- I use Reaper, Vallejo (model and game line), Tamiya (Airbrush line), GW, and the P3 line.

How do the new paints compare to them? I have no brand loyalty when it comes to paint. I use the best I can find for the job I want to do. Part of the problem is until recently, I hated mixing colors. Why mix GW Blood Red with some GW Kemri Brown when I can get the exact color I want in P3 Skorne Red? I loved using Reaper metallics for all the colors/effects they produced. Vallejo just has some great colors. P3 makes awesome base coat paints. Since P3 has reformulated the metaliccs (black label ones), they are just awesome! For the most part, I use GW metalics (Bolt Gun and Chainmail, but switching to P3 Pig Iron and Cold Steel) and GW Washes. Tamiya Airbrush line for, well, airbrushing. Add some "Airbrush Medium" and they are good to go. Everything else takes too much prep for me to get just the right consistency and mixture.

Best thing about GW Paint Line: GW Washes! It's like talent in a paint pot! They are like the best thing to happen to average quality painters like myself. I really, really hope they don't monkey around too much with the wash line. It was the best thing GW has done in a long time.

Right now, I can see myself getting the Ceramite White if it covers as a base coat so well. I use Vallejo Foundation White or P3 Menoth White for my white base coats.
    Me too. I have ordered some of this white and the liquid greenstuff. TBH I used to be able to get fantastic white over black in two coats of skull white.

Your right about the washes though, best thing they ever did, hope they haven't changed.
    To a New Yorker like you a hero is some kinda weird sandwich, not some nut who takes on three Tigers!

Yeah I pick and choose from every company. Like you guys I found the best end of the recent GW stuff was washes, so the fact that those are being expanded is good enough, and the glazes I like to hope might be a similar success.

Regards,
    TV

Scout

Until now I've been using mostly P3 paints, with exception of Badab Black & Devlan Mud washes and GW metallics. But there are some nice colours in there (Khorne Red, for example) that have no close representation in P3 range that I would like to use. So I'll definitely be picking some of them. As for backwards compatibility - most of my old GW paints are dry already ,so no big problem for me.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123