BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Brother-Sergeant

Default Independent Retailer New GW Paints - Ordering Restrictions

Not sure that this really belongs in the news and rumours forum, but anyway...

I was looking on the Maelstrom Games website as they are currently having a 25% off stock sale and noticed this bit of text on the new GW paints

Important Note: Maelstrom Games, along with other independent retailers, can only order six of each Citadel Paint per week. Until this restriction is lifted, our customers may only order one Citadel Paint per week, and then only if that paint is shown as being in stock.

[URL="http://www.maelstromgames.co.uk/index.php?act=pro&pre=gwk_cit_pnt_bse_106_000"]http://www.maelstromgames.co.uk/index.php?act=pro&pre=gwk_cit_pnt_bse_106_000[/URL]

Seems a bit strange if true. I would have thought that GW would have sufficient stock levels to distribute the new paints properly at the get go, but it is GW so you never know.

The discount voucher is SPRING-CLEAN if anyone is interested, but only works on items in stock and there are a few exclusions.

Librarian

I could see GW using this as a way to draw people into their stores, which would most likely be fully stocked on whole paint line-up. And therefore, giving the employees the opportunity to sell you more stuff.

Well, all independant retailers are having to switch over to this new module-based stock level system. Each level specified a certain amount of GW stock (1 being lowest, 5 highest, etc). I have yet to make the agreement with my own store, but in theory it should make certain aspects of re-stocking easier. However it also makes other aspects a little more difficult.

It could be that with the task of restocking their hundreds of stores and hundred more independent stockists with the new paint range they have decided to prioritise their own stores and limit how many independents can order.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

I think Eldargal could well be right. My local GW is only getting 6 pots of most paints. So I think its fair to say if GW stores are only getting a few of each then they will restrict the indie stores.
    Last edited by jimmehmaca; 03-31-2012 at 02:37 AM.

Brother-Sergeant

The brand new GW store here in St. Louis does not even sell the paint yet. The store will not have it until the 7th of April. I checked out a paint demo, and I was impressed. Can't wait to try some textured paint on some bases.

Brother-Captain

No stores have it until the 7th. GW is providing new paint racks to all stores, and new product arrives instores thursday of this week. As an IR, I've not heard this from our rep.

Also, it might be in place to keep online sellers from selling it as quickly as brick-and-mortar fronts. If you can't get it as readily online, you'll be forced to visit your local shop (which is better for the local gaming community anyway). And if that is the move, then I fully support that.

Quote Originally Posted by lobster-overlord View Post
    Also, it might be in place to keep online sellers from selling it as quickly as brick-and-mortar fronts. If you can't get it as readily online, you'll be forced to visit your local shop.
    That is close to what I was thinking.

Restrict supplies to online retailers so they are constantly out of stock.

Limit brick-and-mortar independent retailers so they sell just enough to get customers interested.

When customers can not get what they want from their normal sources hope that they use the GW online store boosting sales and profit.