BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Scout

Good lord. Those are stunning. Please keep them coming... hell paint an entire chapter. You make me want to build an Ultramarine army.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_E View Post
    How did you do the 'chipping' of the paint around the edges of the tank plating and the hatches? It was so subtle but it adds a TON of realism. Also, I adore the plaques.
    Oh thats easy! Also, its super fun. It really brings a model to life, fast. All you need is a bit of sponge backing from a blister pack. Failing that, pluck foam pieces work just as well.

Mix up a little bit of boltgun metal and mithril silver on a palette. For me, i went brighter than usual because i knew that the weathering powders were going to dull things down. Anyways, a nice bright silver will do. Then, get some paint on the sponge and gently sponge the silver onto high wear-n-tear areas, like dreadnought feet and CCWs, hatches, doors, and the area right at the bottom of the skirts. Its just that easy!

Also, instead of a bright silver chipping effect, try mixing up some black and dark flesh for a chipped "rusted underneath" effect (works awesome on lighter colors....think pre-heresy deathguard). Or, if you just want to get that "base metal primer" chipped look, go for a medium dark grey.

Lastly, remember this: LESS IS MORE. dont go overboard with the chipping! You can always add more if you REALLY need to. But taking too much away? THAT sucks.

Go for it!

And thanks again, everyone! It warms me heart to hear such praise! Im pumped that I could inspire others to up thier painting or even consider ultramarines as legitmate kick *** marines. I DO plan on expanding the army eventually. After all....if you're gunna collect a company, why NOT the first? They're the most kick ***, right?

Up next on the painting table are a couple of objective markers! I got the space marine casualties blister. So ill be turning them into some sweet gaming pieces to play with. I mean, if you're going to send the collected wisdom of about 10,000 years of warfare into battle in the form of 7 dreadnoughts, you'll need a DAMN GOOD objective for them to fight over!

Like, for instance, a fallen captain, apothecary and champion....pretty much a dead or dying command squad.
    Last edited by mountaincycle661; 03-29-2012 at 03:17 AM. Reason: Needed to reply to more comments

Chaplain

These dreads (and vets) are amazing. Really stunning work.

Would love to see you paint up some of the new FW termies. Maybe run the Ultras 1st company list as Deathwing?

I like the red/white patterns on the vet sergeants helmets.

Quote Originally Posted by Thornblood View Post
    These dreads (and vets) are amazing. Really stunning work.

Would love to see you paint up some of the new FW termies. Maybe run the Ultras 1st company list as Deathwing?

I like the red/white patterns on the vet sergeants helmets.
    HERESY!!!

When I first set upon the road of building and painting this army, I decided I was going to play Ultramarines.

Not Deathwing.
    Not Space Wolves.
    Not Blood Angels (even though for some stupid fugging reason THEY are now the drednough army?!)
    Not Salamanders.
    Not Black Templars.

ULTRAMARINES, DAMMIT.

Dont worry, bro...Im not lashing at you. But its frustrating to see people playing all sorts of marines of various colors and switching codexes and whatnot....What happened to codex loyalty? what happened to being proud of your colors and legion? You know whos all about some codex loyalty?

FREAKIN' ULTRAMARINES.

Yes, I could play blood angels and use more dreadnoughts...with better rules too. WAY better. But im not playing blood angels painted as ultramarines. This is Chaplain T's personal cadre of WUPASS. Blood Angels can suck it.

Now, as for the first company....The problem with getting the preheresy termies is that, to me anyways, if I had a unit of them in an otherwise post-heresy army they would just look weird and out of place. I plan on eventually doing a pre-heresy thousand sons army, painted to this standard. And if your gunna do preheresy...you either go ALL pre-heresy, or not at all! Just my opinion...

Mixing and matching the occasional armor set with current bits to make sergeants and commanders is cool though.

Lastly, I just got done reading Know No Fear and I am PUMPED about expanding the ultras. I will eventually like to have 20 vanguard, 20 termies to go with my 20 sternguard. Ill convert a Captain Aggeman and probably use Sicarius's rules for him. We shall see....

Pictures to follow shortly after all this senior project display table crap is over with!

Chaplain

Sorry mate, it just the only way I can think of to get that many elite choices in the army (what with DA still being 'codex'-ish and not having space wolf or blood angels special rules).

As is I have created many marine chapters with the vanilla codex marines, and several editions ago, a codex space wolf atmy without ever swapping dex's.

In which case, how are you gonna get that many elite choices in an army (six effectively with master of the forge) and get your troops choices in without breaking theme?

Also- the Uriel Ventris series finishes with a major attack on Ultramar and details the engagements of the 1st, 2nd and 4th companies in detail- good reading!

Scout

Man... That's a bloody lot of dreads!

Chaplain nad contemptor are my favorites. The gold on the mis really good.

These are probably some of the best Ultras I have ever seen- and good for you for sticking to you rules!

Quote Originally Posted by Thornblood View Post
    Sorry mate, it just the only way I can think of to get that many elite choices in the army (what with DA still being 'codex'-ish and not having space wolf or blood angels special rules).

As is I have created many marine chapters with the vanilla codex marines, and several editions ago, a codex space wolf atmy without ever swapping dex's.

In which case, how are you gonna get that many elite choices in an army (six effectively with master of the forge) and get your troops choices in without breaking theme?

Also- the Uriel Ventris series finishes with a major attack on Ultramar and details the engagements of the 1st, 2nd and 4th companies in detail- good reading!
    No worries, man! Heres how I get 7 dreads in 1 codex: Space marines army:

Chaplain T uses the rules for Chaplain Titus from Badab War pt 2 (or is it part 1? I cant remember). either way, he counts as an HQ choice and makes all friendlies within 12" of him fearless.

The other HQ is of course a Master of the Forge who unlocks the other 6 dreads - 3 in elites, 3 in heavies. That leaves just enough points left over to get 2 tactical squads with razorback support.

And thanks again to everyone for the kind words and awesome feedback! If you're even in the Savannah, Georgia area, let me know! You too can test your mettle against the Ultramarines First Company!

Chapter-Master

Sweet army. I wish the Tyrannic War Veteran rules were still around. I have always liked the Tyrannic War Veteran models.

May I suggest Tyranids for your display board? You might be able to find a couple packs of 'painter set bugs' at the FLGS. they are like a box of 6. Or, if you go crazy, you could get a 2 boxes of gaunts and 1 warriors. That'll get you a ripper swarm, a squad of hormogaunts, termagants, and warriors. Would be fun for the display!

Librarian

A very nice army!!!

Please we want more pics!!
    Lord Macragge and wielder of the Ultramar´s Gauntlets

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast