BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    The Dark Mechanic

Default Finecast Ongoing Problems, New March 3 Releases

I saw the post I've pasted below on Dakkadakka today. Not really surprised to hear there might be some issues with the new Finecast kits. At least one local GW store already follows the "open it and check while you're here" protocol and has done so since the Finecast release last May 28. That is great customer service at the store level, but it's unfortunate that the extra care and precaution is necessary. And it seems that this latest release may be cause for concern that the issues with it continue to go unresolved.

I did buy a Finecast Krell model recently and it is beautiful, though I passed up a less than beautiful one a week earlier and waited for a better looking cast to make its way to the store. Of the Finecast models I do own I've had mixed luck, some are great, some less than great, and some took some checking and juggling at the store to get a great one. Consistency seems to be the main problem. When it's beautiful it is really beautiful, but it's not consistently so.

From [url]http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/434007.page[/url]
    So Games Workshop have sent an email around to all of their stores notifying them that;

".....there has been a higher number of the new Citadel Finecast miniatures due to be released that have a bubble in a vital point or have cast thinner than they should have done."

It goes on to say, especially in relation to Finecast models in boxes as opposed to Clampacks;

"Can you check these models with your customers as you sell them to ensure they are happy with their purchase and offer modelling tips for cleaning up flash/mould lines and filling bubbles. If any of the products are not to the customers satisfaction, please give them a new one as usual."

So, in theory, if you are picking up any of the new Finecast models this weekend then the GW employee should ask you if you want to open the box/clampack before you pay to check for defects. Bit if they don't, make sure you tell them that you want to do this as a precaution!

To be fair, I've never had a problem with any GW's letting me check models before I buy them, or replacing them if it's a problem not picked up until later. But if you are ever buying Finecast, and this weekend in particular, make sure you open your boxes ASAP to inspect them as to not create disappointment.
    I've made it no secret the past year that while I'm still a Warhammer hobbyist I'm definitely in a new mode of not going too crazy on the expenditures, especially since last May 28th and the new price structure that includes Finecast. In fact, with occasional exceptions I've been actively avoiding most Finecast models due to the high cost and fragility. Last night I posted a brief tips article in the Modelling/Painting section of the forum about easy ways to do Space Wolf Finecast models using the current polystyrene plastic kit line with a little converting, including of course the cool new multi-part kits being released on March 3. After seeing this latest bit of warning about the quality problems with the new and expensive Finecast kits you might want to give it a look: [url]http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?t=20008[/url]
    Last edited by Brass Scorpion; 03-03-2012 at 12:30 AM.
    See my latest eBay auctions at http://shop.ebay.com/zigra/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

Im currently on my 13th Finecast Ovelord, and he is still horribly flawed. Finecast is an utter failure, plain and simple. I will continue to convert ICs and SCs from plastic for the foreseeable future.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by WYSIWYG View Post
    Im currently on my 13th Finecast Ovelord, and he is still horribly flawed. Finecast is an utter failure, plain and simple. I will continue to convert ICs and SCs from plastic for the foreseeable future.
    Im currently on my first Finecast Overlord and he was still remarkably pristine. Finecast is an utter success, plain and simple. I will continue to purchase Finecast models I like for the forseable future.

See what I did there?

www.queencityguard.com

Quote Originally Posted by wittdooley View Post
    See what I did there?
    Ummm...yeah. You acted like a jack-***.

Librarian

pot, kettle, black?

seriously I have bought many finecast models, my friend's and associates have bought more. NOT! one of them has had the critical flaws that the finecast naysayers seem to encounter every time they buy a finecast model!

Give it up already!
    "I Have Become Death the Destroyer of Worlds"

Chapter-Master

For every über douche like you that karma decides should get malformed models, stand up individuals like me and Morgan get really great ones. Quit being an uber-douche and karma will reward you.

www.queencityguard.com

Why are you guys attacking him? Sure he used strong language to make blanket statements, but his basic point was correct.
    finecast has some big problems when it comes to quality control.

I've had two out of about fifteen finecast models irreparabley flawed. People get some really poor quality models sometimes. It's just fact. I mean, karma really? It's his fault he's gotten some bad models? That's just odd.

Librarian

I have bought a few FC models, and while i have had no real bad casts my trazyn was the best in the store (i stood for 15 mins checking the few they had and checked the backroom stocks too) yet had a few quite large bubbles that needed GS to fix and about 7 smaller liquid green fix bubbles and his staf was like a bannana and snapped when i tried to straighten it (hot water dip).

my 25th aniversary captain however has NO flaws at all, why cant all FC be that way?

also did anyone notice the date stamp on the box of the 25th ani guy? could he have been planned and made for so long? or is that just a manufacture code?

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by AnEnemy View Post
    I mean, karma really? It's his fault he's gotten some bad models? That's just odd.
    Especially as Hindu and Buddhist beliefs both hold that karma won't kick in until your next reincarnation, so the connection between someone being a douche in this life and getting punished is flawed. Sorry, my inner RE teacher shining through here, I can't let things like that go.

And in the spirit of balance, FC does have unacceptable issues with QC that GW really should address if they plan to keep using it, but eqaully they are very accomodating in terms of replacing models that have problems and whilst this is not ideal, it is far better than the customer service received in many retail outlets. How many stores will let you exchange a prodcut without a receipt these days? How many will let you swap a product without question and having to fill in tedious forms?
    Last edited by Wildeybeast; 03-02-2012 at 06:59 PM.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by AnEnemy View Post
    I mean, karma really? It's his fault he's gotten some bad models?
    Clearly the tongue-in-cheek nature of the comment was lost over the internet.

My point is that there are plenty of people getting magnificent casts nearly all the time. The problem is that I don't post a thread exalting the product every time (at this point, I'd say 90% of the time) the model is fine.

But people that ***** about Finecast...yikes.

www.queencityguard.com

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast