BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Scout

Default Used model prices (help!)

Hey all.
    I was looking on craigslist and someone has imperial guard models for sale. I need a price check on them.
    Is there a website with model prices that are assembled and painted? Does anyone know the going rate for used models? I just want to pay whats fair. I know a Valkyrie is $66.00 new. So how much would it be assembled, painted, and used?

Here is a list of his sale:

Valkyrie
    Basilisk
    Leman Russ Punisher
    Leman Russ Demolisher
    Leman Russ Battle Tank
    Hellhound
    3 Sentinels, all closed top all with lascannons
    5 heavy weapons platforms
    2 lascannon
    2 heavy bolter
    1 autocannon
    10 cadian snipers
    2 classic style ogryns
    2 techpriest enginseers and one tech servitor
    20 steel legion troops
    10 ratlings
    32 kasrkin stormtroopers
    2 of them are from the heavy weapons blister pack
    9 tanith ghosts. all different models
    2 junior officers
    2 gaunt
    3 catachan snipers
    2 catachan jungle fighters
    71 cadian shock troops.

Also included but not technically imperial guard

Vindicare Assassin
    3 Death Cult Assassins
    Emperor's champion
    5 back templar sword bretheren
    10 sisters of battle
    5 scouts/ neophyters
    29 black templar troops

Chapter-Master

Typically you should be looking at paying about 50% of retail for something that is assembled and painted to a regular tabletop standard. If it's painted poorly, you should be paying less.

The only time the models should command higher than retail is if they're master painted.

www.queencityguard.com

Scout

I guess his models are game painted. they aren't bad, but they wont win a golden demon. So you think 50% is a good price? so a fully assembled and painted Valkyrie should be around $33.00?

Brother-Captain

Used models are kind of wonky with pricing.

You should be able to buy online new for 20% off retail (my preference)

Used 50-60% of retail sounds about right - depends on the condition.

Painting - people LIKE to charge more for painted models - but unless its a quality job - usually goes for less then the same unpainted model -because most people will need to strip and repaint. However really nice paint jobs will cost more then the model NIB.

Typically the best deals are people dropping there whole armies.
    Just cross reverence GW's prices with the sellers - you should be able to tell if you're getting a deal or not.
    DWs: Prussains. KoW: Elves WM: Khador WHFB: Dwarves WH40: IG, SM
    Games-workshop: changing the rules one new codex/army book at a time.

Librarian

Remember as well: "looks okay" can mean "covered in paint to a depth of three feet". You also can't see how well they're put together.

Assume roughly 20% off RRP for second hand unpainted plastic, 50% off for secondhand painted plastic, 10% either way fir metal, and the words "pro-painted" to be a lie given by a bad liar who thinks you're dumber than a bag of hammers.

Seriously, "pro-painted" never is.

The bottom line is: how much are you prepared to pay? What are they asking? If you paid that, would you feel ripped off?

There is no other real guidance than that.

I usually take the words pro-painted to mean "I'm ripping you off". They always want more than they're worth.

I'm hesitant to pay 50% off for unpainted models that are assembled. You never know what kind of glue they used (crappy supper glue that is brittle and snaps off) or if they left sprue lines of ripped the plastic off (instead of clipped).

Buyer beware or course. Having said that, most of my models have been bought used. If you're patient, you really can find some good deals. Even better when they combine shipping.

I find that it's much easier to buy models than vehicles. There are so many more parts to mess up. You also can't count on wanting the same equipment/options/etc.

I often buy used stuff and as long as its not too thickly painted it can be sorted out whatever elae is wrong.

EBay can be used as a way to see how much armies and models go for. But as mentioned whole armies are cheaper than buying units.

Sprugly

Going rate is generally whatever you want to pay.

as others have mentioned check ebay but try to find somthing close to the painting skill of what you are buying. resherch is your best friend

Whatever you do always try to see the models or at least good pics of them first. I've seen people buy models without looking closely at them first and they end up paying good money for crap models, or even worse, they see a far away pic and get a bunch of models that look like they were painted by a 2 year old with a paint roller, details almost completely blobbed over with thick paint.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast