BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ideas on GW

Chaplain

I do agree with that. Nobody beats them when it comes to the quality of mass produced models. And there's so many examples of this. Such as the Dreadnought models. I don't know about Finecast as I've yet to acquire any. When and if I ever do my long dreamed of Dark Eldar army I will know.

However, there are some who make as good, and sometimes better models on a smaller scale. Reaper makes some lovely models. In particular their female ones. And there was a game called "Confrontation" by Rackham (I think) which had some superb models.

But in the end...

The best thing about Games Workshop is they encourage us to do with our models as we please. They give us a lot of freedom to make the army we want. And how we want to it to look. Their rules pertaining to appearance are minimal. I only wish they'd reinstate doctrines and chapter traits to further personalize an army. Still, a savvy player with extensive knowledge of his codex can tweak it a bit to get a little something more personal out of the existing choices.

Librarian

I agree for encouraging conversions changes differences in armies GW has no equal.

I would say bring their forgeworld stuff into the main fold the more toys to use in the game the merrier imo. Not the big stuff in normal games but some of the special characters the army lists, the average units etc
    Last edited by lattd; 02-24-2012 at 01:37 PM.

Brother-Captain

I'm sure that the writers/designers and sculptors/painters working for GW are very much interested in making the game cool and interesting, and most of them probably have a lot of passion.

That said, I've worked in a number of game studios, and the ones in charge/financing/running the joint (especially a publicly-traded corporation like GW) want profit, and their edicts will temper whatever the design/art teams are working on.
    Armies Played (in order of acquisition)
    Crons, SW, SM, Tau, 1k Sons, IG, Nids, BA, DE

Chaplain

Indeed and and agreed! I'd never have bought a Baneblade if not for the fact GW's is far cheaper than FW's. Now...if only GW would make Titans. One day I want to own a Reaver.

Another idea of mine is to see more diversity of human armies:

A Japanese themed Guard army would be nice. What with the fact many of the Guard are based on WW1 or other era troops.

To that end a new Space Marine chapter based on feudal era samurai would be awesome. Especially since many of the new models for specific chapters are becoming more distinct from vanillas. Imagine power armor based on samurai armor and those awesome ornate helmets! And imagine the special rules one could envision for this army.

Or, how about some human army that is not affiliated with the Imperium, Chaos, or slaves to the Tau? Like maybe a civilization of humans that advanced while being entirely cut off from the Imperium. Thereby forcing them to maybe adopt alien technology or even develop their own unique technology that the Priesthood of Mars surely would not approve of?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Grenadier View Post
    Or, how about some human army that is not affiliated with the Imperium, Chaos, or slaves to the Tau? Like maybe a civilization of humans that advanced while being entirely cut off from the Imperium. Thereby forcing them to maybe adopt alien technology or even develop their own unique technology that the Priesthood of Mars surely would not approve of?
    Heh, I'm sorta working on something like that, though it's more Gundam Wing by way of Gue'vesa.

I need to get cracking on finishing the first draft here, I've been reminded too much of it int the last few days.

Chapter-Master

I too have been thinking. Which is often dangerous to the health of others.

"There's an app for that."

I find it a pain in the posterior to keep up with all the latest updates, errata, FAQs, and more published by GW. "Where's the rules for this?" "Where's that army list at?" "Is there an updated version of this?" A seemingly never ending release of books and White Dwarfs containing the sought after information. For example, I have a Baneblade. It's rules are not in the Imperial Guard codex. It is elsewhere. And it also apparently can be found in the Apocalypse book.

So why not have an app for that? In addition to printed material why not develop an app for your I-This or I-That? And this app would contain the current rule book. But why stop at that? You can download to it any codex or other publication as you deem necessary. Anything and everything you'd want to look up would be at your fingertips. And its all integrated into one app which could be very user friendly to interact with.

But go one step beyond! In addition to all this within the app you'd be able to punch in your army list. Simply by touching the unit you want and the upgrades for it. The app would calculate your points for you as well. And so you're not laden with books and sheets and sifting through this or that. You'd have a handy dandy little electronic gizmo at your disposal. Why, the app could even have a built in dice roller that generates random numbers for you.

Altogether this should streamline the game and make battles go by quicker. With my opponent there's always a considerable amount of time spent looking up this rule or that unit or this bit of wargear.

Also...

I've been left feeling that GW is less about the hobby and more about the cash. After all they have to make a profit. But it seems to me in many ways the game has been dumbed down and sanitized for your protection in the name of making a buck. The latest codexes for example. I miss Imperial Guard doctrines or Space Marine chapter traits. Gone. And units now seem to be less characterful and bought as generic.
    I think it's a really good idea, but it has two major problems. Firstly, I'm not sure GW has the tech guys necessary to make that. Secondly cost. If you can download the rulebook for it, it will cost at least as much as the real life one so you are looking at paying £35+ for an app and people won't pay that much for apps, at least not in enough numbers to make it viable. GW could run a system where you buy an actual rulebook and get a one use only code to acces it on an app, but would enough people buy the app to make it viable? Making the rulebooks/army books available for sale on e-readers would be a good idea and I think would generate quite a lot of sales without costing GW too much to do.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

A few things to bear in mind:

-GW are a models company first and foremost, rules are secondary.

-The vast majority of their player base buy models because they look nice rather than how they perform on the battlefield.

-A fair proportion of GW customers don't even play at all, they collect armies because they like the models.

-The vast majority of players play friendly games with friends and don't care about compettitive play.

All these points have been mentioned in interviews, Standard Bearer and at Games Days at some point or another. So it is unclear how much benefit GW would actually get from making a really tight, competitive ruleset to go alongside the regular one. Having said that there is no real objection to it, and some rumours for 6th ed point to their being some kind of supplemental competitive system.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Chaplain

I did consider my app idea to be one that would be prohibited by cost. I'm technologically retarded and do not own I-This or I-that. and I've never had need of one. I do think it is still possible. Perhaps if GW released a cheap electronic device made specifically for the app. An electronic rule book if you will, on something akin to a Kindle perhaps. I'd imagine in time the cost of these kinds of devices will lower greatly and they'll be even more commonplace than they already are. Especially if other companies began manufacturing cheap versions for specific uses. At which point GW perhaps could adopt one for this idea. Not that would of course.

Chapter-Master

I did consider my app idea to be one that would be prohibited by cost. I'm technologically retarded and do not own I-This or I-that. and I've never had need of one. I do think it is still possible. Perhaps if GW released a cheap electronic device made specifically for the app. An electronic rule book if you will, on something akin to a Kindle perhaps. I'd imagine in time the cost of these kinds of devices will lower greatly and they'll be even more commonplace than they already are. Especially if other companies began manufacturing cheap versions for specific uses. At which point GW perhaps could adopt one for this idea. Not that would of course.
    Hmm, i like that idea. Your own GW exclusive device. I think that the technology at the moment is still prohibitvely expenisve, but in the future, who knows? GW certainly embraces technology in regards to making models, so why not other areas? It could be good to see WD available in electronic form too.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Chaplain

Who knows what the future holds? Real power armor? GW Titans? Actually there's something close to it now. A 40k trilogy on par with Star Wars I hope.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12