BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How many demo charges should I put in my IG special weapons teams?

Demo charge wielding special weapons teams are good fun...

How many demo charges is an optimal amount put in my IG special weapons teams?

3 seems like a great idea, but has great scope for scatter killing the team before the 2nd two have been thrown

I have never felt the urge to have 3, but i am Pretty sure you can only have one per squad...
    But one demo and 2 special weapons is probably optimal anyway.
    But even then all shooting from one unit happens simultaniously, so even if you blow your squad up they will get their other shots.

Brother-Captain

I almost never put more then 1 into a single SW squad.

I like to run it w/ 2 GL's - give's them something do to before and after the det charge is thrown. Not to mention 3 det charges in one squad is alot of points for guard.
    DWs: Prussains. KoW: Elves WM: Khador WHFB: Dwarves WH40: IG, SM
    Games-workshop: changing the rules one new codex/army book at a time.

You can have up to three of any special weapon, including demo charges. Personally though, I think one demo charge and two flamers would probably be better.

Librarian

Depends on the purpose of the squad. Killing those GK Paladins? Take three. An extra to throw at a tank? Take one and two meltas. A whole mess of gaunts? 1 and 2 flamers.

But for money, BS3 says these don't belong in a serious or important squad period. You are the Imperial Guard, the whole goal is to throw stupidly ridiculous amounts of dice at a problem unit until one of you dies. With the demo charge, you only get one shot.

The best way to safely throw these is to get a level up and throw them down onto the enemy, hopefully while they are completely exposed.

Veteran-Sergeant

1 Demo and 2 x Flammer for 65
    or
    3 x metla for 65

Brother-Sergeant

For my money, I take melta vets with demolitions. 3 meltas and the demo charge, plus better BS. Then let them ride in a Vendetta and you have a unit people worry about getting close to their tanks. Haven't set up any special weapon squads yet, but I'm thinking flamers or something similar.

If you want to have a good laugh, use 3. Especially funny will be that time your squad kills itself and every other unit, foe and friend, in the vicinity with the exception of the intended target, which survives unscathed.

My honest opinion? I wouldn't even use special weapon teams, specially if they're only gonna be used once and then left with 6 guys running around by themselves.
    I like to say have acharge with the veteran squads-solely cause that's 3 meltagun and a demo charge, if your worried bout a target, 4 guns will see it gone.

Scout

I love my special weapons team!

2 flamers and a demo charge. they are small enough that you can deepstrike em out the back of a vendetta without to much risk and they are low enough points that you can leave em in the bird to score.

this last weekend I took out a squad of nob bikers with a deep striked team, yes they died to shooting the next turn but that's a trade I'm ok with.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast