BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    First-Captain

sure...except then you have Empire, w/o the guns!

Brets should always mean arthurian k-nihigets!!!
    Then men at arms shouldbe knights on foot.
    For the Greater good.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by gcsmith View Post
    Brets you can fix by making men at arms, men at arms, have the lords stop treating their SOLDIERS like peasents.
    But...they are peasants. GW is just using the term 'men-at-arms' to describe a peasant militia.
    "The finest warriors of the peasantry of Bretonnia are recruited by Knights to act as Men-at-Arms. Men-at-Arms are given a shield by their lord, and must provide weapons and armour for themselves, and thus the lord fulfills his duty to those under his charge." I don't understand what the issue is?
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Wildeybeast View Post
    But...they are peasants. GW is just using the term 'men-at-arms' to describe a peasant militia.
    "The finest warriors of the peasantry of Bretonnia are recruited by Knights to act as Men-at-Arms. Men-at-Arms are given a shield by their lord, and must provide weapons and armour for themselves, and thus the lord fulfills his duty to those under his charge." I don't understand what the issue is?
    My issue is severalfold, First bolded part, they are the FINEST warriors of the peasntry they should be better than ws2 heck even the drunks and lowlifes of the Free company hit our Finest peasents on 3s, secondly they are trained soldirers so should be ws3 at least again.
    For the Greater good.

Chapter-Master

Finest warriors, yes, but the qualifier is 'of the peasantry'. That is a still a relatively poor pool to draw from, the lords only deem them worthy of shields. And they aren't 'trained soldiers' as the Bretonnians would never stoop so low as to train peasants. Free company, who may be men of low moral fibre, are experienced cutthroats and sellswords to a man and that experience makes them easily the equal of the trained empire state troopers. It isn't fair to compare bretonnian and empire troops, as they have very different approaches to warfare. The empire nobility often maintain standing armies, or at least have a trained body of reservists to call on. By contrast, the Bretonnians invest all their time and resources into producing elite knights from the nobility. The peasants are largely left to their own devices and just have to turn up and fight when called on.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

To go off on a WE tangent once more, if they need a Core block perhaps move the Dryads into a Core block unit (remove Flammable and add Scaly skin or stay with the Ward, Daemons can do it after all) and make Eternal Guard a little more useable, perhaps by letting them replace Glade Guard as the core unit of the army and moving the Glade Guard to the missile unit.

Perhaps give them a modification to the stand and shoot/fall back rules too. And then of course the usual Monsters. Treekin and Treemen could be awesome going by how GW have been loving their Monstrous infantry lately.

Id love to have useable WE's so might even try a little playtesting of my own.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Sonikgav View Post
    To go off on a WE tangent once more, if they need a Core block perhaps move the Dryads into a Core block unit (remove Flammable and add Scaly skin or stay with the Ward, Daemons can do it after all) and make Eternal Guard a little more useable, perhaps by letting them replace Glade Guard as the core unit of the army and moving the Glade Guard to the missile unit.

Perhaps give them a modification to the stand and shoot/fall back rules too. And then of course the usual Monsters. Treekin and Treemen could be awesome going by how GW have been loving their Monstrous infantry lately.

Dryads aren't flammable anyway (as they aren't actually trees), though I agree they would be far more useful if they lost the skirmish rules, same as wardancers. But again we come bakc to the problem of completley changing the nature and playstyle of WE. Eternal Guard are already a core unit if you have a highborn general, but the lack of any kind of armour save means for your block infantry they just aren't durable enough to be any good. Treekin are awesome, you need plenty of these to stand any chance of winning at the moment. Glad Guard should get something similar to the arrows of asaph rule for TK.

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Sonikgav View Post

I friend and I have just said screw it - and declared Dryads has ranked troops with a command option - and 6 pts for a MU 12 for a Standard - no magic banner options.

Makes the army freaking playable again.
    DWs: Prussains. KoW: Elves WM: Khador WHFB: Dwarves WH40: IG, SM
    Games-workshop: changing the rules one new codex/army book at a time.

Chapter-Master

Hmm, a nice idea. I might see if mates are generous enough to do the same. I like the idea of converting a musician and standard!

this book cannot come out soon enough. i want to see the end of the hydra madness.

They've GOT to release new DE Warrior models. They simply must. I don't see them rumored anywhere, but I can't believe they wouldn't update those models.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast