BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Brother-Sergeant

Ok fine, no kraken, how about a giant land crab.

First-Captain

I can't see why WE are boned. not like it would be hard to make their army work in current edition.

Give them a spear men unit. Give them a monster (for example a giant stag).

Change their spells.

Heck not hard
    For the Greater good.

Quote Originally Posted by gcsmith View Post
    I can't see why WE are boned. not like it would be hard to make their army work in current edition.

Give them a spear men unit. Give them a monster (for example a giant stag).

Change their spells.

Heck not hard
    To clarify, I wasn't commenting that I felt that it would be difficult to rewrite Wood Elves and make them work in 8th edition. I was stating Wood Elves were "boned" because all the rumors I've seen indicate that, at best, they are at the very early stages of the conceptualizing phase.. i.e. - the beginning.

Also, they already have a giant stag... not quite as giant as you are suggesting most likely, but that's what is listed in the book if I recall correctly.

Regardless, I don't want to hijack this thread about Dark Elves and turn it into a Wood Elf discussion.

Here's hoping they include a point correction for hydras in 2013 :P I wonder if Dark Elves will get another monster in addition to the Hydra or if we'll just see a plastic Hydra kit. Given their nature for capturing exotic beasts to fight in gladiatorial combat I could see this go either way personally.
    Armies - Skaven, Tomb Kings, Eldar, Iron Snakes, Dark Eldar, Retribution, & Legion
    Blog - http://chronowraith.blogspot.com

First-Captain

yh increase hydra cost
    For the Greater good.

Chapter-Master

At the risk of ignoring Chronowraith and hijacking this thread, it is easy to 'fix' WE by giving them decent magic, big blocks of troops and monsters, but then you can do that with any army. What is much harder is updating them whilst retaining their unique character. For example, what do you do with Wardancers? In the last ed, they would butcher the front rank of an enemy unit and hold them up for ages. Now they are just overwhelmed by basic troops. Their role in the game needs completely redfining, but how do you do that without losing their image as a small, fast, elite unit capable of taking on superior numbers and winning. And that's just one unit. Look at the meta game where big, durable units are key. WE don't have nay staying power in combat as all their units are small and lightly armoured (if at all) and nor should they. They are a guerilla force, hitting stuff and fading into the shadows, not a protracted campaigning force. You either need to re-write the fluff or find a way of making fluff consistent rules that produce a competitive army.

All of which is a roundabout way of saying I'm not sure WE will get updated for quite some time (I might even go out on a limb and say it's possible they won't get done at all this edition), so I'm glad that DE are on the cards.

Quote Originally Posted by Chronowraith View Post
    Given that these rumors indicate DE in late 2013 (so almost 2 years from now), that gives plenty of time for other armiy books to be released. In fact, I'd wager at least 3 and more likely 4 before this book is rumored to release.
    Given they have got 4 army books out in 19 months since 8th ed hit, I'd say 3-4 (including DE) seems reasonable, though don't forget we have the Hobbit clogging up release slots and possibly 6th ed 40K. I'd expect more WD updates and one or two army books before this summer to get them out and avoid release congestion.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Quote Originally Posted by Wildeybeast View Post
    At the risk of ignoring Chronowraith and hijacking this thread, it is easy to 'fix' WE by giving them decent magic, big blocks of troops and monsters, but then you can do that with any army. What is much harder is updating them whilst retaining their unique character.
    Hey, I'm fine with discussing Wood Elves, I just didn't want to hijack the thread. Honestly if it wasn't for the sorry state of Wood Elves, I'd have considered them as a front runner in my quest for a "good" aligned army. So instead I wait for either Empire or Bretonnians, both of which are more likely to see updates within the next two years. I think Wood Elves have some of the neatest fluff in the game next to Skaven.

Given they have got 4 army books out in 19 months since 8th ed hit, I'd say 3-4 (including DE) seems reasonable, though don't forget we have the Hobbit clogging up release slots and possibly 6th ed 40K. I'd expect more WD updates and one or two army books before this summer to get them out and avoid release congestion.
    True, I didn't consider Hobbit releases so it could potentially drop the releases down to a meager 3(ish). I really wish that a spinoff company produced the Hobbit game stuff so GW could focus on their core product. I love Middle Earth (wrote a paper on it for one of my Master's Thesis) but the game is just uninspiring and dull.

Oh, right... hijacking... Uhhh.. something, something, Dark Elves... Go corsairs?
    Armies - Skaven, Tomb Kings, Eldar, Iron Snakes, Dark Eldar, Retribution, & Legion
    Blog - http://chronowraith.blogspot.com

I wouldn't hold my breath for Bretonnians either to be honest. Mind you DE are still 18+ months away so holding your breath for them would be a rather poor decision too.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Brother-Captain

I'm not expecting WE at all this edition. I don't see how you can make them work in the meta game without completely changing their style. They already have some awesome models which is good, just a shame you can't use half of them!
    Honestly I think WE are one of 3 armies that GW doesn't know HOW to write and make them actually 'good' in this ed:

Wood elves - skimish is dead, winning by killing the front rank doesn't work
    Dwarfs - armour is dead, shooting is weaker, no magic, static combat res is dead
    Brets - armour is dead, winning by kiling the front rank doesn't work

DE getting a new book before any of the above is just plan insulting - there is no need for it!
    DWs: Prussains. KoW: Elves WM: Khador WHFB: Dwarves WH40: IG, SM
    Games-workshop: changing the rules one new codex/army book at a time.

First-Captain

Brets you can fix by making men at arms, men at arms, have the lords stop treating their SOLDIERS like peasents.
    For the Greater good.

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by gcsmith View Post
    Brets you can fix by making men at arms, men at arms, have the lords stop treating their SOLDIERS like peasents.
    sure...except then you have Empire, w/o the guns!

Brets should always mean arthurian k-nihigets!!!
    DWs: Prussains. KoW: Elves WM: Khador WHFB: Dwarves WH40: IG, SM
    Games-workshop: changing the rules one new codex/army book at a time.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast