BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 33 12311 ... LastLast
    Fly Lord

Default 6th Edition 40K Rules Leak

BASICS
    A document has appeared on the internet on multiple sites that appears to be a version of the upcoming 6th edition rules.

GROUNDRULES
    THERE WILL BE NO LINKS TO ANY SUCH DOCUMENT ALLOWED. Any links will be deleted immediately, and posters will be turned over to Duke's loving hands...

Other than that, feel free to discus anything you like about the ruleset in this thread. Its content, validity, what have you. Have fun.

NO LINKS - WE MEAN IT!

-Your friendly neighborhood Bigred
    Last edited by Bigred; 01-11-2012 at 01:10 AM.
    Got some Juicy News? Email BoLS

If it is fake it is an incredibly elaborate one and given that most leaks have some kind of GW approval it isn't beyond the realm of possibility that they have leaked this to gauge community view and get some playtesting via forums and such.

Still I think it best to work under the assumption it is a hoax, it would be just like the online community (well, Warseer and 40konlinemostly) to get all enthusiastic over this leak and then when it turns out to be a hoax blame GW.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Librarian

With the way GW is tightening up their security on info, I personally view it as a bit of a hoax, with some practical wish-listing to add credit to it.

Fly Lord

I agree eldargal. Having worked on our campaign books and videogames design documents in the past, the sheer size, formatting and completeness of the document points to it being real. It bears a marked resemblance in scope, word choice, and layout to the leaked version of 5th edition that broke a couple of months ahead of time.

It could indeed be a hoax, bit if so, its more like a big group effort to produce an alternative ruleset that could work with the existing codices over many months of work.

That said, having studied lots of these things professionally over the years, it has a "stitched together" feel to it, like a Frankenstein amalgam of 40k, WFB, with even some Flames of War, Dystopian, and Warmachine tossed in for good measure. All the overlapping and abundant special rules and abilities almost have a DnD 4.0 vibe as well.

I could see this as a starting point to put in front of playtesters to start to pare down and remove the overcomplex fiddly bits (there are many). It doesn't have that clear coherent "vision-feel" of a single individual. Still, 6th Edition would be the first post Alessio/Priestly major system update, so who knows how far the design studio might go, with so much institutional memory having left the building.

This would definitely be the biggest change to the game since 2nd edition.
    Got some Juicy News? Email BoLS

Librarian

This "rules leak" is news to me, spending all my time on SW:TOR and whatnot.

But I offer something regarding the "Frankenstein-ing" as you put it. They did the same thing to WFB with it's 8th ed. So something similiar happening to 6th ed 40k isn't out of the realm of possibility.

I hope the next rules shake things up alot, this edition is kinda boring.

Based on my skim read so far it strikes me a probably being not a hoax, that being said if it is a fake its a dam good one if only for its consistency.

Assuming its legit the rules seems interesting, AP for close combat weapons being notable to me, changing what you need to with shooting makes sense as well.

Looking through the document a second time i noticed what should be a typo of power armour being a 2+ save in one of the charts.

lol now i hope its a fake.

Reading through bits of now I'm thinking more and more it is a hoax, the way it is set out is unlike GWs usual method and is more than a little amateurish. I'm reminded of some of the less logical layout choices in Dystopian Wars.

For example, all Fast Skimmers have nine special rules on pages 110, 41, 47 54, 64, 72, and 73. Really? So instead to turning to the Fast Skimmer section and reading what it does I have to go through eight more pages and remember what each ability does? Not only that some of the abilities have tiers (Fearless (2) for example) so you have to remember that as well.

This is common to all the special rules sections, every other special rule has 'see page ***'.

There is a weapons section in the book which includes weapon stats AND prices. GW have never done that before? It is also completely inconsistent, star cannons are now S7 Assault 2 with a 10 point price reduction but bright lances who need readjustment even more aren't mentioned.

Something just feels so off. I'm not saying it couldn't be real but I'm highly sceptical.

Oh and in the rulebook it says th best human pskers are Mastery 3 while the best Eldar are 5, but Eldrad is Mastery 2 thank to his Spirit Stones which give Mastery 2. So the best psyker in the damned galaxy is inferior to the best human battle psykers? That makes perfect sense.

Ghosthelm gets an update despite the update not updating anything, along with several other rules. It is like they were just filling in slots to make it look like it was the rumoured codex update that was coming with 6th rather than it being a real update.
    Last edited by eldargal; 01-11-2012 at 01:46 AM.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Veteran-Sergeant

I've tried to figure out which version of Eternal Warrior Lysander gets, but I haven't figured out which one he has. I'm hoping for 3, but that is hoping

Rules looks interesting, got quite a lot of stuff in there. Wish I could be part of the play test, bet I would have a lot of feedback

Chapter-Master

im not asking for links but as someone who dosnt go to dakka/warseer could someone point me to a site where the document is. again no links because i dont think bigred wants any :L
    visit my blog: www.fuzzbuket.blogspot.com I do cheap commsion work
    And COME TO BOLSCON UK and yell about my font!

Page 1 of 33 12311 ... LastLast