BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

These guys don't have much to do with the army except that I am taking it to a campaign event that allows a free genestealer hybrid (essentially a cultist squad with a telepathy psyker with set powers) or xenos hunter (5 marines with special ammo boltguns) unit for free and they've been stranded in one of my forgotten project boxes forever. I've therefore slapped some paint on them and here they are GW corporate

Initiate

LOVE the dark reapers, and the genestealer cult is amazing man.... simply amazing work.

Chapter-Master

Am I the only one mesmerized by the hybrid doing 'Night Fever'?

Also, calling them GW Corporate is a bit unfair. These hybrids are clearly far more human than that!
    Always thinking 2 projects ahead of anything I've yet to finish
    http://instinctuimperator.blogspot.co.uk/

Saw them on the Facebook page, didn't realise they were yours bt it makes sense now. Obviously I asked about them being based on the Silence from Dr Who but if they've been in your project box for ages did Mr Moffatt rip you off?

I had the pleasure of facing this beautiful army at the campaign weekend. Was a fantastically hard fought battle, with some valiant efforts by some assualt marines holding up a wraithknight for several turns in combat. But in the end, the exodites claimed the victory with the aid from some Grey knights, who although could not pass an armour save, could roll a million 6's when it came to overwatch fire!!

Can't wait to see the next army project isotope.

Thanks all, they are a mix of MIB and reservoir dogs inspired with a bit of saturday night fever, x-com and x-men thrown in.

Had my first games with the new eldar last weekend. It was a campaign weekend so a mix of games with a few funny rules. Here are my thoughts, mostly confirming general internet thoughts.

Game 1: 1,500 vs Tau - Crusade (3 objectives) - Hammer and anvil (deep deploymemt zones)

Avatar, jetbikes, Avengers in Wave serpent, Rangers in Bastion, Dark Reapers, Fire prism, warp spiders

Shadowsun, commander, Battlesuits, stealth suits, pathfinders, 2*6 fire warriors, hammerhead, riptide w/ missile drones, 2 broadsides.

Mostly a rush up the middle, with the rangers and reapers defending my objective behid the bastion. Lost the avatar to shooting quite quickly but the wraithknight (eventually) kicked in the riptide. The jetbikes trimmed down shadowsun's squad allowing the wraithknight to squash her and the warp spiders massacred most of the fire warriors. The fire prism and hammerhead spent most of the game exchanging shots and getting nowhere.

Stars of the eldar - Wraithknight (Riptide, most of a fire warrior squad and shadowsun the warlord) & jetbikes (came out over a more expensive battlesuit/shadowsun combo with their new rending and general maneouvreability)
    Losers - Fire prism, I like the new multifire mode but 1 shot is just not reliable.

Stars of the Tau - The syealthsuit/Commander combo was nasty putting out a lot of shots and being near impossible to shift even with my opponent rolling an higher than average number of 1s)
    Losers- broadsides - The new railgun is a bit poop, must be why everyone takes missiles.

Result: The tau were distracted by the shiny toys and though almost everything big died except the wraithknight, the troops were left alone to secure all three objectives, plus a bonus ruin objective 14:2 on victory points

Lesson of the match: Jetbikes and warp spiders are great at getting angles on things to deny them non-area cover. The riptide is better in combat than expected when it has FNP bought for it.

Game 2 - 2*1,000pt doubles - Scouring (fast attack scoring) - Vanguard strike (diagonal zones)

The army above minus the bastion, reapers, avengers & serpent - Ally: Space wolf razor/long fang allies, w/ aegis line.
    versus
    Ultramarines castle: Aegis line, Tellion scouts, stormta;on, predator, tactical squad, librarian
    Blood angels assault: jump assault squads, Land raider w/ librarian and assault terminators

With two aegis castles and relatively little assault we mostly defended with the space wolves and rangers on the objectives and the eldar intercepting threats. The avatar was vapourised turn 1 thanks to the predator's searchlight but the wraithknight interceptred the land raider and kicked it open followed by stamping all over the contents.

Stars of the eldar: The wraithknight did very well even without his invuln (had to drop from suncannon to wraithcannons)
    Losers: Rangers managed to get massacred by 1 assault marine.

Favourite moment, The warp spider exarch precisoon shotted tellion and then jetpacked onto his vacantquad gun to use it on interceptor in the next turn.

Result: Very close battle with last roll of the game deciding. Were 8:7 down with the BA librarian contesting the objective, linbreaking and not dting, buthaving finally got through the bodyguard and avoiding getting force weaponed, he finally got to stomp on his second warlord to swing it back to 12:7.

Lessons learned. It's important to pick fights carefully with the waraithknight, rangers can hold objectives when the enemy forgets them but are otherwise pretty useless.

Game 3: 1,250 v Khorne daemons - Emperor's will (take and hold) - Dawn of war

Army above + the bastion and reapers.

versus

3*10 bloodletters + skulltaker, skull cannon, blood thirster & daemon prince

Felt bad for my opponent as my avatar is one of the few models that can take khorne monsters in combat. After my entire army failed to bring the thirster out of the sky, the avatar grounded it with wailing doom then assaulted and won before smashing through most of the rest of the army to contest the enemy's objective.

Stars of the eldar: The Avatar, killed 80% of the opposing force (Bloodthirster, skulltaker, daemon prince and 2 bloodletter squads)
    Losers: Another poor performance for the fire prism, though s8 ignores cover was a tough match up.

Result: 5:1 tabled the daemond prince killed my jeytbiokes so I cou;ldn;'t get both objectives with only 2 troops choices (and the other one was worth double as a special mission)

Lessons learned, dark reapers with Slow&P are surprisingly mobile as fire support to clean up things.

Game 4 vs Tau 2,000pts- Crusade: 5 objectives - Dawn of war

The 1,500 point list with some scoprpions, and fire dragons in a second wave serpent.
    versus
    The Tau 1,500 point list with lots of extra firewarriors, broadsides and pathfinders

The tau did much better this time with more markerlights and fire warriors, even with outflanking warlord trait, the avatar still got murdered pretty fast, accounting for only one fire warrior squad and the no cover markerlights killed the wave serpents and fire prism pretty speedily. On the other flank though my scorpions rolled up the right flank killing fire warriors and hammerheads.

Stars of the eldar: Striking scorpions, much tougher and the new claw is awesome (even if it was overkill vs Tau)
    Losers: Fire dragons getting beaten in combat by Tau <facepalm>

Lessons learned (or apparently not learned): The riptide is a pain to destroy in combat. It only died by nova charging itself in the end.

Result: I was fair;y fortunate that the fusion blasters scattered out of melta range of my bastion so I ended up with 2 objectives to 1 and a bonus double line breaker. 8:5

Game 5: Apocalypes 2*2,500

The army above, minus the scorpions plus another fire prism and my scorpion super heavy. Grey knight allies: Draigowing, purifiers, storm raven, strike squad dreadnought, dreadknight.

versus:
    Grey knights (terminators, 3 storm ravens, 4 dreadnoughts and some other stuff) and blood angels (storm raven, mephiston, sanguinor, land raider-baal predator formation, some assult squads and some other bits I forget) No super heavies but four tough fliers to our 1.

Was a lot more fun this apocalypse game. I'm nopt going to go into detail but some particular high/low lights:
    Wraithknight spending the entire game in combat with one assault squad
    Warp spiders jumping to get rear armour shots on dreadnoughts
    Scorpion D weapons on the land raider baal formation
    Terminator smackdown in our deployment zone
    Mephiston dodging 4 squads to contest an objective in the last turn
    Ridiculous numbers of skyfire 6's on teh flyers.

Final score: 10:5 (my avatar looked good planting his sword on his objective having come through an apocalypse battle unscathed.

Unit by unit thoughts:

Avatar: Huge fire magnet and died repeatedly but I like what he can do when h egets the chance and he left the wraithknight free to clean up. His new 2 shot battle focussed wailing doom is potentially very nasty too.

Jetbikes: Their new rending makes them an actual threat now but I'm not sure the warlock is worth it on only a 6 man squad, better to scrounge up some more points and try to get to a farsser or spend them elsewhere.

Dire avenger/wave serpent: The avnegers werejust for objectives so no comments here. The wave serpent is great but I'd be inclined to keep teh shield up most of the time as it still dies fast and that 2+ glancing downgrade is handy.

Rangers: OK for manning a quad gun and jumoumping an objective but not much cop otherwise, would rather spend the extra point for avengers.

Warp spiders: Fun suicide unit and great for rear armour shots on vehicles. The exarch with spinneret rifle is an automatic choice for me.

Fire dragons: play a lot like before, tougher but more expensive.

Scorpions: Only played one game so hard to comment but that claw is all sorts of evil.

Fire prism. On paper I like it's multi-fire mode but it didn't do much in any of the games. Not convinced but was maybe unlucky.

Reapers: Nice mobile sweeper unit, Ok toughnesss and lots of firepower. Great for revenging on units that get out of position to attack something else.

Wraithknight: If you can spare the points, I'd definitely go for the suncannon / scatter laser combo. Need to pick fights very carefully, it can be great but is easily bogged down by inferior units. Needs in my opinion at least one partner to draw fire and bail it put of protracted combats. The avatar did that job for me but otherwise another wraithknight or two wraithlords, wraithblades, scorpions etc.

Bastion; With all the other stuff on the field it never got much attention. Most people go for the aegis, but I think for T3 stuff , the bastion is a better choice.

Scorpion; With no enemy D weapons the scorpion got to play but in not ridiculously OP with only 2 shots at 1 target.

Been a year since my last new exodite model but here is my second wraithknight with psychic bow (AKA 2 wraithcannons) which I don't think is too confusing as it clearly lacks shield and is fairly snipe-y.

I remember reading this thread several months ago when I was considering doing an Exodite army. They still look awesome Why the fewer gemstones on the new wraithknight? Didn't feel like painting that many or felt that it would overwhelm the model or something?
    http://www.celestial-lions.net - witness my insanity

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast