BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Brother-Captain

You don't see the sun disk, which is on nearly every one of the leaders?

Necron2.0 (a.k.a. me) - "I used to wrestle with inner demons. Now we just sit for tea and scones, and argue over the weather."

Right because Egypt was the only culture ever to have a sun disc motif? I'm not saying there wasn't an Egyptian concept there, but it has been so warped and twisted to create a Necron aesthetic that there is nothing Egyptian about it.

Another example of how people take visual cues they can't fully place and conflate them with something they can is Eldar. The Craftworld Eldar aesthetic allegedly came about after Jes Goodwin visited Egypt, and yet people go on and on about the strong asian element in their design.
    Last edited by eldargal; 10-14-2011 at 11:34 PM.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Veteran-Sergeant

ok, there is no way you can deny the egyption theme in necrons.. tomb, scarabs, monolith.... its in their design. people draw allegories from the most insane corners of the universe. look at "catcher and the rye".

anyone notice the tau symbol on the 4th necron lord?!!!!!!!!! wtf is that ****?!!!!!!

Veteran-Sergeant

oooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhh
    censorship. :.(

Chaplain

To everyone complaining about the fact that there are no new Warriors, look in the transports. Warriors look exactly the same still.
    You think running with scissors is dangerous? Try sky diving with them!

Yes, I can deny it because it isn't htere. Tomb isn't an Egyptian word or concept, scarab is but Necrons scarsbs look nothing like Egyptian scarabs, monoloth isn't an Egyptian word or concept either and the model has a far more Mesopotamian ziggurat feel than Egyptian. There may or may not have been some Egyptian concepts incorporaed into the Necron aesthetic but they are so twisted and dilute that there is now nothing actually Egyptian about their aesthetic. You could argue the Tau have more of an Egyptian theme at this point, not to mention Eldar.

Quote Originally Posted by apahllo View Post
    ok, there is no way you can deny the egyption theme in necrons.. tomb, scarabs, monolith.... its in their design. people draw allegories from the most insane corners of the universe. look at "catcher and the rye".

anyone notice the tau symbol on the 4th necron lord?!!!!!!!!! wtf is that ****?!!!!!!
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Veteran-Sergeant

I am reading this but cant see how Eldar even have any link or relationship to Egyptian theme or culture. There isnt a single model or unit or fluff part of Eldar that I can think of that would make me think "Eldar...Oh Yea Space Egyptians...Right On...Right On!!!"

The only link to Jes Goodwin writting the Eldar was maybe that on his trip to Egypt he got stuck at the customs in Cairo or something and had plenty of time to write the Eldar Codex.
    Your Codex is only great until the next one is released.....

Now this is exactly why I think art history classes should be compulsory before anyone is allowed to comment on the aesthetic of anything. There wasn't an Eldar codex for years after his trip, so there was nothing to work on.

Many elements of Eldar culture were modelled around Egyptian motifs and aesthetics and the model range was changed from funky Elves in Space to a more smooth, sleek, idealised aesthetic taken from Egyptian art. It is subtle, but it is there. Unlike the Egyptian element to Necrons which simply isn't there, if anything they are far more Mesopotamian.

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    Now this is exactly why I think art history classes should be compulsory before anyone is allowed to comment on the aesthetic of anything. There wasn't an Eldar codex for years after his trip, so there was nothing to work on.

Many elements of Eldar culture were modelled around Egyptian motifs and aesthetics and the model range was changed from funky Elves in Space to a more smooth, sleek, idealised aesthetic taken from Egyptian art. It is subtle, but it is there. Unlike the Egyptian element to Necrons which simply isn't there, if anything they are far more Mesopotamian.
    Ok..please name a few then....
    Your Codex is only great until the next one is released.....

Librarian

I can't see why people think the more decorated motif's in the new models are a bad thing, I think it takes a very dull model line and makes it interesting and fun to look at. I was almost convinced DE would be my next army, but then I saw these amazing models and was like "im not so sure now". I love the look and feel of the models, there is just enough of an Egyptian feel to them to make them interesting, but not enough to say it IS Egyptian.

Also I have to agree with Eldargal here, the Monolith especially is nothing like an Egyptian Pyramid, in fact there were far more cultures that used the pyramid before the Egyptians, though it would be more accurate to call them Ziggarats which the Monolith looks far closer to. I will say though that the prevalence of the eye in the necron models of old and even current ones coming out and that was an obvious play to Egyptian Aesthetic to a small degree.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v506/rlocke2/551391_4297044038379_634463020_n.jpg

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast