BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default Dread - Death Co. Vs. Furioso

I have a conundrum. I run a single Dreadnought in my BA lists as a nice throw away unit. I give it Blood Talons, a heavy flamer, and a drop pod. Using Drop Pod assault I drop it in my opponent's face on turn one. It's just there to distract my opponent and force them to deal with it while the rest of my force advances.

Which is better; a Death Co. Dread or a Furioso Dread? They both cost the sameamount of points so I am really looking at their differences.

The Furioso has the extra WS and the extra armor but one less attack. It has surviveability.

The Death Co. Dread has an extra attack and none can stay my wrath letting it ingore crew stunned or shaken results. It has some surviveability as well.

Comments?
    "Wisdom means having the ability to admit what you do not know."

Brother-Sergeant

I don't agree with using a drop pod to drop it off due to the fact that it can not get in close combat, but for how you are doing it I would go with the Death Company Dread. I have mine on my stormraven and I want to control it. You can't control the death co. but it would work great for you.
    Record 2012 8-8-3 Blood Angels:
    "If you get close to Mephiston he will give you Death by Roo Roo!"

Default Ratlings vs Marbo

I used the drop pod DC Furioso and had a blast with it. I'd still go with it. Just rage can be a huge jerk sometimes.
    Last edited by RocketRollRebel; 10-05-2011 at 10:34 AM. Reason: massive mix up.
    letsagetabitarockin!

when running Blood Talons, I always opt for the DC Dread. I have run both, and having that extra attack really goes a long way, esp. when you are drop podding him, as you may not get the charge. None Can Stay My Wrath really helps, as well as Fleet.

The DC Dread w/ BT's is quite possibly my favorite thing in the BA dex, and between it and the Furioso variant, I'd go DC every time
    <('.'<)(>'.')><( '.')>(>.<)<( '.')>(>'.')><('.'<)

Librarian

The best Dread that BA can field is the Librarian. Personally, I would recommend a Librarian dread with Fear of the Dark and Blood Lance, as both are immensely useable on a turn in which you deepstrike.

However, if you would rather not run that, consider instead a Furioso with a Heavy Flamer and Frag Cannon. You'll tear through most decent sized squads both in shooting and CC. If you want a more balanced approach, get the frag cannon but keep the meltagun so you can blow a tank up on your first turn. The best combination of gear for forcing an early retreat is to take the meltagun, frag cannon, and magna-grapple. Come down opposite an enemy tank with an enemy squad between you, and unleash everything on the tank starting with the Frag cannon and then the magna-grapple. If the grapple goes off, you have a very good chance of tank shocking the unit between the both of you. Depending on the AV of the vehicle, it may be worth holding off on the meltagun if the objective is to move the infantry. This can be a great way to clear hard to shift units off of an objective.

Battle-Brother

Personally, if you just drop podding the dreadnought in, I'd go with the Furioso, and spend a few extra points on extra armour. Because if you can manage to get it into close combat, most squads arent going to be able to even attack it (unless they have a power fist, melta bombs, or equivalent).

Another downside to running a Death Company Dread is that it actually costs more than a Furioso, due to the fact you have to field minimum 5 death company marines. So unless you have a use for the death company, theres no sense in spending all those extra points just to run the DC dread.

If you're going to run a Storm Raven though, I'd opt for the DC dread. Stick the 5 DC marines & the DC dread all inside the raven for a huge potential charge range.